branch01.dds, listed under the BSShaderTextureSet, missing from texture mod file

So I was just minding my business, playing Skyrim, in a nearly 200-hour run that has not even reached Solstheim yet, when tragedy struck. I discovered a pink branch with a missing texture in the shadow of Red Mountain (quest mod location), a fitting parallel for the apocalyptic ruin this missing texture was about to bring me. When I saw it I immediately opened the console and identified its Formid. I loaded up SSEEdit and found the Formid under the Dragonborn.esm plugin. I went to its MODL and saw it was being overwritten by Nature of the Wild Lands.esp. I first attempted to find the Nature of the Wild Lands .nif file under the data tab, meshes folder in M02's right panel, but it was not there, so I extracted the Nature of the Wild Lands .bsa files and found it there. I then opened it up in NifSkope and observed its BSTriShape>BSLightingShaderProperty>BSShaderTextureSet and saw the file its getting its textures from are the branch01.dds and branch01_n.dds. When I went to the file address, I saw branch01_n.dds but not the branch01.dds file. There is a branch02.dds and branch02_n.dds in the same file which made me even more confused. My question for anyone willing to help is whether or not this is the best practice when looking to solve a missing texture problem and whether I even have my fingers pointed in the right direction? And if I do have my fingers pointed in the right direction, what can even do then from here?

Note in case of relevancy: I used the QAC function by the SSEEdit team on all of my vanilla Skyrim .esms; specifically Dawnguard, Dragonborn, HearthFires, and Update, but I can not for the life of me think of a reason this would be a part of my issue. I am putting this note here because the .nif file is from the Dragonborn.esm and maybe somebody with more experience in modding can tell me whether or not that even matters.

Edited by sawh0v

Your troubleshooting steps to identify the asset dependencies is correct, but it's an issue with the file name/path under the NotWL tree NIF BSShaderTextureSet not existing. The file may be there but under the wrong path. This seems like an issue with NotWL tree model and assets rather than the plugins, but it's hard to say without seeing examples of what you found.

It could also be a plugin-defined texture set in the vanilla 1170 updated plugin(s) that is revealed only under certain conditions of the game. Simply recreate branch01.dds under the expected path (as defind under BSShaderTextureSet of the affected tree model) in any enabled mod to resolve (my guess, anyway).

The texture "branch01.dds" should be in the Nature of the wild lands (NotWL) bsa. The path is [your disk letter]:\Users\[pc name]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\mods\Nature of the Wild Lands 2.0\textures\true forest\log\branch01.dds. So if you are not seeing it in the data files in MO2, then there is a problem with your install. Try reinstalling NotWL.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you have the "archives" tick box ticked in the Data tab (next to the search bar). This will make MO2 also look in bsa files.

Thank you both for your responses. Thanks to you guys I was able to fix the issue. I tried z929669's solution first; this did not fix my issue, but I did see some change in the color of the missing texture purple, so it had some effect. I then found the branch01.dds ButchDiavolo mentioned and copied and pasted it into the file address that was under BSShaderTextureSet. Specifically, textures/true forest/pinus/new/dlc02 and that fixed my issue. So I kind of combined both solutions. Once again, thank you both.

5 hours ago, sawh0v said:

Thank you both for your responses. Thanks to you guys I was able to fix the issue. I tried z929669's solution first; this did not fix my issue, but I did see some change in the color of the missing texture purple, so it had some effect. I then found the branch01.dds ButchDiavolo mentioned and copied and pasted it into the file address that was under BSShaderTextureSet. Specifically, textures/true forest/pinus/new/dlc02 and that fixed my issue. So I kind of combined both solutions. Once again, thank you both.

This is what I was getting at. Glad it worked.

15 hours ago, z929669 said:

This is what I was getting at. Glad it worked.

Sure Jan ;)

21 hours ago, sawh0v said:

Seriously though, glad you got it sorted.