What LODGen Resources Can Be Discarded?

bchick1

Question

Hello!   I am currently creating LOD's  Using  SSELodGen, TexGen, and DynDOLOD ... in that order and importing into Skyrim A.E. with MO2.  I was wondering what files ... i.e. Billboards ... that were in place when running SSELodGen can be 'deactivated' in the load order when subsequently running TexGen and/or DynDOLOD.  Does leaving these files have any impact if left active in the load order when running TexGen or DynDOLOD?

4 answers to this question

14 hours ago, bchick1 said:

Hello!   I am currently creating LOD's  Using  SSELodGen, TexGen, and DynDOLOD ... in that order and importing into Skyrim A.E. with MO2.  I was wondering what files ... i.e. Billboards ... that were in place when running SSELodGen can be 'deactivated' in the load order when subsequently running TexGen and/or DynDOLOD.  Does leaving these files have any impact if left active in the load order when running TexGen or DynDOLOD?

https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen#Requirements
Remove or disable the plugin after terrain LOD generation. No harm done if loaded in-game. Typically the player can not get close to these areas. There are no effects outside the far away added cells.

DynDOLOD will tell you to remove the restored terrain plugin in case it is still active.
If you installed special landscape textures that are for terrain LOD generation only, then they need to be removed afterwards as instructed by the 3rd party mod instructions.

Terrain LOD generation does not use or care about object LOD or tree LOD assets like billboards. They should be active before and after generating object and tree LOD as explained:

https://dyndolod.info/Generation-Instructions
Keep all LOD assets (DynDOLOD Resources, 3rd party mods, TexGen output etc.) that were active for LOD generation activated unless there are specific instructions to disable 3rd party mods. Object LOD and tree LOD assets may also be used directly in the game like any other models and textures, in particular by dynamic LOD or Child/Parent Worldspace Copies.

1 hour ago, bchick1 said:

It sounds like you don't quite understand what the different programs do. This is from the STEP Guide about when to re-run the different programs and gives a bit of insight in what they actually do:

xLODGen
Whenever there are changes to the mod list that affect the underlying landscape: height, shape, textures, etc. This does not include grass, mountains or other objects on the landscape.
TexGen
Whenever there are changes to the mod list that affect objects with LOD: new objects, moved structures or objects, removed structures or objects, changes to grass (only when using grass LOD), changes to trees and/or landscape height, when its master plugins order is changed (out of order masters), etc. When grass is re-cached, TexGen should also be run again to update grass billboards.
DynDOLOD
Whenever there are changes to the mod list that affect objects with LOD: new objects, moved structures or objects, removed structures or objects, changes to grass (only when using grass LOD), changes to trees and/or landscape height, when its master plugins order is changed (out of order masters), etc. When LOD textures are updated with TexGen, DynDOLOD should also be run again to update all affected object LOD.
Occlusion
Only with noticeable changes to geography of Tamriel and/or Solstheim. For Step, this should only need to be run once.

So each program has different purposes. They all use different resources during LOD generation. Apart from the generation file mentioned in the STEP Guide, you should NOT disable or discard any mods or data after generating the LODs. The generating file is clearly stated in the Guide and gives direction as to how you should install and use those:

(TEMP) Cathedral Landscapes - xLODGen NOTE:  it must be DISABLED later as instructed!

This file you keep disabled during game play, but enable during xLodGen generation, and ONLY during xLodGen generation. Again, you should not discard/ delete any other files.

LODGen resource files are required by xLODGen, TexGen, and/or DynDOLOD in order to create the LOD atlas and files and must all be 'enabled' when generating LOD. Some of these files (e.g., tree LOD) are not used by the game at all and can be disabled after generating LOD; however, these resources are tiny compared to other mods and should be present and left enabled so they are available if LOD is regenerated. To free up space, use 2K rather than 4K+ textures wherever it makes sense (e.g., small items like clutter and locks don't need more than 512-2K textures). Textures are by far the largest files in the LO.

Moved to the DynDOLOD/xLODGen support topic for posterity and to garner more accurate/specific answers.

Ok! Thanks to all for the help!  I get that the bottom line is that I can leave most of the resultant data from the  LOD generation in place unless specifically prompted to deactivate it.  My main concern for this topic was not disk space or such but wanting to avoid 'messing up' the LOD in the game by retaining potentially 'conflicting' data in the load order.