[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Either I had enough coffee, or the changes to the wiki made my brain able to chew through all the informations.

I THINK I managed to do it, and have

- original vanilla textures and hi-res textures saved somewhere

- deleted the above from Skyrim's data folder

- the original DLC .bsa files still in data folder

- apparently optimized and compressed textures files saved where rest of the mods will go

That right?

I guess what I do now is to add these optimized textures as new mods and manually moving them right below skyrim.esm and update.esm by using BUM. Right?

Indeed, BUM can only be used for the mods with plugins (esp or esm files). The vanilla textures go early in the installation order (low priority value). The optimized STD and any optimized DLC texture archives should have lower priority than the optimized HRDLC archives.

Previously the only optimization examples in the DDSopt guide were those associated with the vanilla textures, and there were some comments about confusion in using DDSopt for some small optimization tasks. Three short examples have been added to the Using DDSopt tab that cover some of the common uses. The vanilla texture set is quite large and the optimization is fairly long, and isn't necessarily a good example for those who have not used DDSopt previously and want to do some simple optimization on a few mods.

Anyway, from random dude who tries to understand the whole thing's point of view, I would suggest:

1)

Go through all the links and make sure they are not dead or partially broken. Lots of them point to nonexistant parts of pages. Few examples:

Consider texture optimization link from the main guide is broken in that it opens the initial DDSOpt guide.

That's the intended landing place

DDSopt instructions in the "repair vanilla HRDLC textures" part.

I'm not aware of any remaining link problems in the guide after the most recent changes, but there could be some.

There are LOTS of these across the entire Wiki, and it makes already confusing pages even worse, because key informations are essentially missing.

When you see them feel free to edit the wiki to fix them if you know where they should point. 

2)

Simplify the guide.

3)

Confusing instructions and/or inconsistencies.

A number of small changes were made and one large one (the new examples) based on these and comments from other STEP forum participants

A new section has been added to the DDSopt guide for examples of optimizing sets of mods. The first example is now available. It describes two approaches for using the batch files to sort a set of mods with exterior textures and then optimize the textures using DDSopt. The example includes all of the mods in the STEP guide that have exterior textures. The result is that in a single processing session all the STEP mods with exterior textures, which are the ones with the greatest effect on VRAM use, can optimized and rearchived.

The Quickstart guide tab has been revised. It now has step-by-step instructions for optimizing vanilla textures that can be used by most users; excluding the more unusual cases makes the instructions in the Quickstart tab much shorter than those in the main guide sections. The main guide sections still cover all of the situations including systems with limited VRAM.

The Quickstart tab now has brief instructions for optimizing the mods in the STEP guide that gain the most benefit from optimization. Overall, the Quickstart tab is now organized like typical Quickstart guides providing an initial set of useful steps to perform.

Q3 has been added to the General FAQ in the DDSopt guide. It provides a summary of the functions performed by the 2_Pre-optimization batch files used with optimizing the vanilla textures. Of particular note, since there has not been much discussion of this on this thread, is the processing of uncompressed textures from the vanilla BSAs to ensure that these remain uncompressed after DDSopt optimization.

The batch file for organizing the vanilla textures, 2_Pre-optimization.bat, has been changed to eliminate optimization of a few uncompressed model space normal maps that could be corrupted while optimizing. An additional test was added for the presence of the "robocopy" program used to do the copying in the batch file.

Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide_v2.65-beta.7z is now available in the guide.