Rain Ends Abruptly

DaBullDubs

As the title of this post states, I'm having an issue with rain ending abruptly. After the rainfall suddenly stops the sounds of rainfall gradually soften to a stop and splashes from the Wonders of Weather mod taper down to a stop with the audio. The rainfall just cuts out like a light switch, 100 to 0 instantly.

I've checked my mod list against the guide (my mod list is purely Step 2.2.0 mods including the lighting & weather modgroup as well as the post-processing modgroup) and I'm sure I've installed everything relevant to this issue properly as instructed.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. The only thing I can think to try to do about this is reinstall all relevant mods. If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Edited by DaBullDubs

• DaBullDubs changed the title to Rain Ends Abruptly
49 minutes ago, DaBullDubs said:

As the title of this post states, I'm having an issue with rain ending abruptly. After the rainfall suddenly stops the sounds of rainfall gradually soften to a stop and splashes from the Wonders of Weather mod taper down to a stop with the audio. The rainfall just cuts out like a light switch, 100 to 0 instantly.

I've checked my mod list against the guide (my mod list is purely Step 2.2.0 mods including the lighting & weather modgroup as well as the post-processing modgroup) and I'm sure I've installed everything relevant to this issue properly as instructed.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. The only thing I can think to try to do about this is reinstall all relevant mods. If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

I can't say for sure, as I have never noticed this in my games (but I test rather than play mostly these days). I would check MCM for Storm Lightening. I think it has some realism stuff. Otherwise, this may just be a game limitation, IDK.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

I can't say for sure, as I have never noticed this in my games (but I test rather than play mostly these days). I would check MCM for Storm Lightening. I think it has some realism stuff. Otherwise, this may just be a game limitation, IDK.

Do you think it could it be due to script lag? I searched the Step Skyrim SE Guide forum with phrases like "weather", "rain", "rain ends abruptly" and though I didn't find any posts expressing similar issues with rain suddenly ceasing I did see plenty of mentions about how Wonders of Weather introduces script lag.. Is rain even scripted?

Edited by DaBullDubs

1 hour ago, DaBullDubs said:

Do you think it could it be due to script lag? I searched the Step Skyrim SE Guide forum with phrases like "weather", "rain", "rain ends abruptly" and though I didn't find any posts expressing similar issues with rain suddenly ceasing I did see plenty of mentions about how Wonders of Weather introduces script lag.. Is rain even scripted?

Is rain scripted? Not sure, but I doubt it is by default. With WoW, it is for the splashes and other effects.

That said, Step SSE is light weight with respect to scripts, so I doubt it has anything to do with script lag.

DY is correct, the transition speed in and out of precipitation is controlled by the weather records in plugins, hence is not scripted. However, the water splashes of Wonders of Weathers are scripted and are known to cause script VM overload.

I don't use WoW anymore and never really used it, but if I'm not mistaken, you can turn off this feature in the MCM?

So I'd suggest you try the following:

• Turn off WoW water splashes in the MCM
  • Does it make a difference in regards to your issue?

UPDATE: I recently decided to start adding to my mod-list via a new instance in MO. It is a cloned instance of one I setup following the Step guide. I'm only adding to the list, essentially using Step Skyrim 2.2.0 as the foundation for my mod-list.

I installed Splashes of Storms (also Rudy's SoS fix for ENB) and disabled Wonders of Weather splashes in its MCM. Since then, I am no longer experiencing issues with rain ending abruptly.

• Like 2

Update..: I spoke too soon.. but apparently rain only ends abruptly for me when it's a heavy rain and lightning storm. So that's something. Maybe my issue is with Storm Lightning for SSE.

Edited by DaBullDubs

So if I'm understanding correctly the issue is you still hear falling rain sound fading away while the rain has stopped falling at once? How long does this last approximately, in seconds?

The Storm Lightning mod is very unlikely to be involved. 

Note that lightning is not synchronized with rain: it has its own fade-in/out timings. In case you were expecting both rain and lightning to start/stop at the same time.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:26 AM, Mousetick said:

So if I'm understanding correctly the issue is you still hear falling rain sound fading away while the rain has stopped falling at once? How long does this last approximately, in seconds?

The Storm Lightning mod is very unlikely to be involved. 

Note that lightning is not synchronized with rain: it has its own fade-in/out timings. In case you were expecting both rain and lightning to start/stop at the same time.

It seems to be all weather transition effects from sound to cloud transitions function properly, only the visible rainfall ends abruptly instead of transitioning properly. I guess it lasts approximately just as long as the particular weather transition is supposed to last.

Edited by DaBullDubs

I can't think of anything or any way that would cause rainfall visual effects to get out of sync with rainfall audio loops. This is engine-level stuff that can't be modified by regular mods. SKSE DLL plugins, maybe.

Below is an example timeline of a weather transition, switching out of rainy + stormy weather. The rain stops completely before the weather has fully transitioned. The rainfall sounds should stop at the same time. Lightning lasts a little longer than rain (in this example).

---- Weather 1: Rainy + Stormy ------>|------- Transition Period ------->|---- Weather 2: No Precipitation, No Lightning ---->
-------- Rain Effects --------------->|-- Rain Fade-out -->|
-------- Lightning Effects ---------->|-- Lightning Fade-out -->|

It certainly wouldn't hurt to check weather records in xEdit. Not only for conflicts, but for anything that overwrites your weather mod (Cathedral), as changes to mod-added, non-vanilla weathers wouldn't show as conflicts. You'd want to inspect this section of the weather records in particular:

image.png

Also you may want to (temporarily) disable Splashes of Storms so there is no confusion between rain fall (vanilla behavior), and rain splashes or ripples which are added by Splashes of Storms.

Also double-check that ENB Rain is switched off (I believe it's normally switched off in STEP config).