Growing desesperate about finding the crash source

Hello all,

Long story short, I began elaborating my load order on STEP basis 4 months ago with good results, but due to a lack of disk space, I had to reinstall all of my mods. And I'm raging right now at one CTD on the very last round of reinstallation and testing. It's been 30 hours I've been trying my best to identify what's causing my game to crash right at the beginning, in the Alternate Start dungeon (Race Menu doesn't even have the time to open). I hesitate between two alternatives :

- 1) Crash log in .net framework seems to point toward a "skeleton" issue, as there are several mentions in "possible relevant objects" involving Enhanced lights and FX, R.A.S.S, and Hand placed Enemies  :

[ 106]    TESNPC(Name: `Skeleton`, FormId: 000B9FD8, File: `Skyrim.esm`)
  [ 106]    Character(FormId: 000E9524, File: `EnhancedLightsandFX.esp`, BaseForm: TESNPC(Name: `Skeleton`, FormId: 000B9FD8, File: `Skyrim.esm`))
  [ 156]    EffectSetting(FormId: FE0148C4, File: `RASS - Visual Effects.esl`)
  [ 189]    SpellItem(FormId: FE0148C2, File: `RASS - Visual Effects.esl`)
  [ 308]    TESNPC(Name: `Ghost`, FormId: FF001D3F)
  [ 308]    Character(FormId: 520755B1, File: `Hand Placed Enemies.esp`, BaseForm: TESNPC(Name: `Ghost`, FormId: FF001D3F))
  [ 416]    NiNode(Name: `NPC L FootBox`)
  [ 451]    BSFadeNode(Name: `skeleton.nif`, Owner: `Character(FormId: 000E9524, File: `EnhancedLightsandFX.esp`, BaseForm: TESNPC(Name: `Skeleton`, FormId: 000B9FD8, File: `Skyrim.esm`))`)
}

- 2) callstack is fuzzy to me, seems to be animation issues but I ultimately don't know.

{
  [0]   0x7FF67AC5222C     (SkyrimSE.exe+B0222C)          unk_B021E0+4C
  [1]   0x7FF67AC56E00     (SkyrimSE.exe+B06E00)          unk_B06D20+E0
  [2]   0x7FF67AC56E40     (SkyrimSE.exe+B06E40)          unk_B06D20+120
  [3]   0x7FF67AC5015B     (SkyrimSE.exe+B0015B)          unk_AFFFE0+17B
  [4]   0x7FF67AC3DE1D     (SkyrimSE.exe+AEDE1D)          BShkbAnimationGraph::unk_AEDD10+10D
  [5]   0x7FF67A640A81     (SkyrimSE.exe+4F0A81)          IAnimationGraphManagerHolder::unk_4F0960+121
  [6]   0x7FF67A64188C     (SkyrimSE.exe+4F188C)          AnimationSystemUtils::QueuedReferenceAnimationTask::unk_4F1720+16C
  [7]   0x7FFB6E70FB53     (DynamicAnimationReplacer.dll+FB53)
  [8]   0x2227A213400                                     
  [9]   0x2227A213400                                     
  [10]  0x2195DE49A28                                     
  [11]  0x1                                               
  [12]  0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF                                
  [13]  0x7FF67A296C3C     (SkyrimSE.exe+146C3C)          QueuedReference::unk_146B70+CC
  [14]  0x7FF67A295C34     (SkyrimSE.exe+145C34)          QueuedReference::unk_145B80+B4
  [15]  0x7FF67A29A9B9     (SkyrimSE.exe+14A9B9)          QueuedCharacter::unk_14A970+49
  [16]  0x7FF67A297203     (SkyrimSE.exe+147203)          BackgroundProcessThread::Func1_147100+103
  [17]  0x7FF67AD5D6BD     (SkyrimSE.exe+C0D6BD)          StartAddress_0_C0D680+3D
  [18]  0x7FFBB0E17614     (KERNEL32.DLL+17614)           
  [19]  0x7FFBB2B826A1     (ntdll.dll+526A1)         

Here's the entirety of the crash log : https://pastebin.com/dFeM8r1p

I have XPMSSE at the bottom of the left panel, so nothing overrides it.

I tried disabling Hand placed enemies, R.A.S.S. or ELFX, but I still get that damn CTD. Will do more extensive testing tomorrow but I'm getting tired.

Any help, insight or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Constantine

I would simply enable all of the Step mods, ensure they are all installed as instructed, and test that there is no crash on a new game. Then begin layering in your customizations with intermittent testing.

Since you are running .Net FW, then you are on 1.5.97, so you may want to reference the 2.0.0 guide for the Step build.

Have you used Nemesis? Could be you forgot to update your Nemesis to be compatible with your installed mods. It appears both your crashes are animation related, and I see you also use Dynamic Animation Replacer. You may need to correct your animation setup, as it's easy to have incompatibilities there.

8 hours ago, z929669 said:

I would simply enable all of the Step mods, ensure they are all installed as instructed, and test that there is no crash on a new game. Then begin layering in your customizations with intermittent testing.

Since you are running .Net FW, then you are on 1.5.97, so you may want to reference the 2.0.0 guide for the Step build.

You're right, I'm on downgraded SE. I proceeded this way at the beginning, with the 2.0.0 Step build, then added a very large amount of mods in the process. In fact, I'm installing the last big chunk of animation mods - since all of the other testing has been made considering lod, locations, etc. Pretty happy with the result so far. This load order gets me on my last run at level 40 with very few crash.

8 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Have you used Nemesis? Could be you forgot to update your Nemesis to be compatible with your installed mods. It appears both your crashes are animation related, and I see you also use Dynamic Animation Replacer. You may need to correct your animation setup, as it's easy to have incompatibilities there.

Yes I use Nemesis, DAR is version 1.1.0 coupled with the Animation Queue Fix by Ersh, and yes like you I do think it may be animations related. I'll slowly deactivate the mods, rebuild the Nemesis patch,, rebuild the smash patch if necessary, test, to find the culprit. I'll keep you guys in check.

I was wondering : is there a way / a tutorial (for the average Skyrim-user beotian, illiterate in programming langage) to learn how to interpret the .Net Framework crash logs ? I hate being the guy who bothers others online for that matter and would like to be more on the helping side.

Edited by Constantine

18 hours ago, RainingTacco said:

Remove this mod

EVG animation variance

It is known for skeleton crashes.

I didn't have this mod installed, but I finally identified the source. It was an incorrect load order generated by Loot between several animation mods. Should have known better...

3 hours ago, Constantine said:

I didn't have this mod installed, but I finally identified the source. It was an incorrect load order generated by Loot between several animation mods. Should have known better...

I didn't think Loot affected animations, only plugins?  Animations are usually .hkx files.

3 hours ago, MisterMorden said:

I didn't think Loot affected animations, only plugins?  Animations are usually .hkx files.

I'm assuming the plugins could have some conflicts related to scripts or other animation assets referenced, so I could imagine the rule of one causing issues with related references.

• 3 months later...
On 3/17/2023 at 4:23 AM, Constantine said:

I'm straight up having the exact same issue. How did you fix it?