Wrye Bash doesn't list plugins for patching (FO4)

Martial_Law

Question

Hi!

I'm not sure this is the right forum to aks this since I use my own modlist, but I hope someone here can help me out.

I currently have 215 mods and 212 plugins in my load order.

Wrye Bash (run through MO2) detects all the plugins just fine when it's launched, but when I try to build a patch it only displays "Import Object Bounds" and "Leveled lists" in the laft panel and the Nuka World DLC and Unofficial Patch in the plugin selection panel (see screenshot).

When I start a new game without a bashed patch all I get is an infinite load screen before the intro sequence. If I try to Alt-Tab out my screen goes black and stops responding to anything short of a hard reset.

LOOT doesn't show any issues with the plugins and all I could find in fo4Edit are clean overwrites - base plugins overwritten by their recpective patches etc.

The game itself, MO2, Wrye Bash and LOOT are all up to date.

Can anyone help me figure out what the issue might be?

MO2_WB.JPG

6 answers to this question

I'm afraid this is going to be really difficult to pinpoint because you have 212 plugins I'm getting lost looking at the load order. You have Sim Settlements 2 along with a lot of Sims Settlements 2 add ons. These are probably fine, but keep in mind that Sims Settlements 2 is very script heavy so you need to be careful what mods you add with it in your load order. I also see you have Tactical Reload and I hear a lot of people say this one can be painful to get working with some gun mods.

I'd start by deactivating (uncheck) all mods in the left pane. Verify you can get the vanilla game working as expected and then activate (check) five or 10 mods at a time and verify the game is still working. Given all the mods you have installed, I also suggest using xEdit to check for and fix conflicts with these mods as you go. You might also consider reording some of these plugins. For example, you have FlaconOil about midway in your load order. This provides optimized vanilla textures, so I'd put it near the top after all the masters (*.esm *.esl with the ESM flag). I also just noticed that a lot of the plugins appear to be in alphabetical order.

10 hours ago, Martial_Law said:

Wrye Bash (run through MO2) detects all the plugins just fine when it's launched, but when I try to build a patch it only displays "Import Object Bounds" and "Leveled lists" in the laft panel and the Nuka World DLC and Unofficial Patch in the plugin selection panel (see screenshot).

Unfortunately, most plugins in Fallout4 are not tagged for Bash Tags. In fact, the only one I have seen is the Unofficial FO4 patch, {{BASH:Delev,Invent,Names,ObjectBounds}} are the ones in the plugin.

I looked through your load order and I may have just missed the next thing, but I do not see any mod for F4se scripts. The scripts should be in a mod in MO2 and not in the games DATA folder and make sure you are running the f4se_loader.exe when trying to launch the game from MO2.

You can also use Crash Log Auto-Scanner at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community to analyze the crash log to see if anything stands out and they also will list any mods known to be bad for the game. This requires some setup to run though.

You may also want to try High FPS Physics Fix at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community. It may fix some loading problems.

Another problem in this game is you can also hit an archive limit and not know it untill it is too late. Installing mods that come with "xxx.ba2" archives can push the limit fast and the only way to figure it out is to do as Greg said and enable mods in small bunches. The crash log Auto scanner will point this out if this is the case.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:25 AM, Greg said:

I'm afraid this is going to be really difficult to pinpoint because you have 212 plugins I'm getting lost looking at the load order. You have Sim Settlements 2 along with a lot of Sims Settlements 2 add ons. These are probably fine, but keep in mind that Sims Settlements 2 is very script heavy so you need to be careful what mods you add with it in your load order. I also see you have Tactical Reload and I hear a lot of people say this one can be painful to get working with some gun mods.

Yeah, this load order does make me a bit dizzy when I look at it :)

I know SS2 is script heavy so I tried to remedy that somehow by using Buffout 4 and BuffBaka. Installed them mid-playthrough on my previous run, the difference was really noticeable.

As for TR, all my weapon mods have patches for it. Figuring out the correct load order is a pain, especially with custom vanilla weapon animations, but latest releases of LOOT seem to have it handled pretty well. I just put the vanilla weapons patch at the very bottom of my load order and everything works as it should.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:25 AM, Greg said:

I'd start by deactivating (uncheck) all mods in the left pane. Verify you can get the vanilla game working as expected and then activate (check) five or 10 mods at a time and verify the game is still working.

And this was a suggestion that helped me fix the infinite load screen, thank you! 

Turns out I had the Driveable Motorcycle mod installed incorrectly. I reinstalled it and now the game runs just fine.

Edited by Martial_Law

On 10/21/2022 at 6:34 AM, GSDFan said:

Unfortunately, most plugins in Fallout4 are not tagged for Bash Tags. In fact, the only one I have seen is the Unofficial FO4 patch, {{BASH:Delev,Invent,Names,ObjectBounds}} are the ones in the plugin.

That does indeed seem to be the case. Anyway, it's probably best not to use a bashed patch with all the script-injected leveled lists and in-game "on the fly" adjustments that a lot of mods offer. Getting the patch to work right could take so much manual tweaking it might be esier to make a few small manual patches in xEdit.

I looked through your load order and I may have just missed the next thing, but I do not see any mod for F4se scripts. The scripts should be in a mod in MO2 and not in the games DATA folder and make sure you are running the f4se_loader.exe when trying to launch the game from MO2.

I'm pretty sure MO2 puts all the F4SE plugins and their scripts into it's own F4SE folder (in the Mods directory) and runs them from there. Do I need to make them into a mod?

I do use the F4SE launcher, of course :)

You can also use Crash Log Auto-Scanner at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community to analyze the crash log to see if anything stands out and they also will list any mods known to be bad for the game. This requires some setup to run though.

Thanks, I'll be sure to try it! However, since my game didn't actually crash, there was no log to scan.

You may also want to try High FPS Physics Fix at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community. It may fix some loading problems.

Definitely. It turned out the problem was caused by a different thing (see my previous reply), but I still totally forgot this one. Thanks! 

Another problem in this game is you can also hit an archive limit and not know it untill it is too late.

Now THAT I did not know about. Thanks again! Is there any way to determine if you've hit the limit (or are near the limit) without crashing the game and analyzing logs?

3 hours ago, Martial_Law said:

I'm pretty sure MO2 puts all the F4SE plugins and their scripts into it's own F4SE folder (in the Mods directory) and runs them from there. Do I need to make them into a mod?

I recommend installing F4SE and all F4SE plugins as separate mods in Mod Organizer. This helps keep the mods nicely organized and it makes it a lot easier to detect when updates are available and makes it a lot easier to update these mods. The only items I put in the game folder are files that must be in the same folder with Fallout4.exe. If it goes in the Data directory, install it as a mod in Mod Organizer.

Thanks, I'll be sure to try it! However, since my game didn't actually crash, there was no log to scan.

It's rather unfortunate that infinite load screens can be a right pain to troubleshoot because there's not much to go on.

Now THAT I did not know about. Thanks again! Is there any way to determine if you've hit the limit (or are near the limit) without crashing the game and analyzing logs?

I think the limit has been somewhat illusive because it doesn't seem to be a concrete you cannot exceed xxx BA2 archives. The actual limit seems to somehow be tied to the number of BA2 archives per plugin. You shouldn't need to worry about the limit in most scenarios with 212 plugins given most plugins have one BA2 archive and the occasional exceptional plugin having more than one BA2 archive.

16 hours ago, Martial_Law said:

That does indeed seem to be the case. Anyway, it's probably best not to use a bashed patch with all the script-injected leveled lists and in-game "on the fly" adjustments that a lot of mods offer. Getting the patch to work right could take so much manual tweaking it might be esier to make a few small manual patches in xEdit.

An alternative to Wrye Bash to learn is Mator Smash. There is a learning curve to it though, but once you figure out how it works you can get close to the same results as Wrye plus it can hit more areas of the plugins than just the leveled lists.