DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 180

sheson

14 minutes ago, z929669 said:

It occurs about half the time in expert mode with increasing chances for longer runs (generating dynamic LOD, ultra).

Same two errors repeated in tandem several times over the past few days, so reproducible. Never any error output to terminal that I can see. LODGenx64.exe just quits and xEdit window remains open with error message.

See if this version of LODGenx64.exe fixes it for good

https://mega.nz/file/ABZkQBrR#vkmRuZyY3cJS5IZJsJ3_yRUi42ndrGq4W0e20EWNaf4

• Thanks 1

Hey all, 

I've been trying to generate grass in my lods and failing for a few days now. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me troubleshoot?

I've been following the original posts step by step as best as I can. I'm kind of at a loss. I changed the two values in the dyndolod ini, and the 1 value in the grasscontrol ini. The texgen previewer is showing me grasses. First I successfully cache the grass in MO2 and send it a new mod, setting it to ignore missing data. Then I run texgen, followed by dyndolod, setting dyn to generate Object lods + Ultra. I put dyndolod .esm at top and .esp at bottom. My grass still looks like this: https://imgur.com/jKZB921

If any of you could spare a few minutes, I would really appreciate any help at all at this point. Thanks!

On 4/28/2021 at 4:49 PM, RogueRim said:

Hey all, 

I've been trying to generate grass in my lods and failing for a few days now. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me troubleshoot?

I've been following the original posts step by step as best as I can. I'm kind of at a loss. I changed the two values in the dyndolod ini, and the 1 value in the grasscontrol ini. The texgen previewer is showing me grasses. First I successfully cache the grass in MO2 and send it a new mod, setting it to ignore missing data. Then I run texgen, followed by dyndolod, setting dyn to generate Object lods + Ultra. I put dyndolod .esm at top and .esp at bottom. My grass still looks like this: https://imgur.com/jKZB921

If any of you could spare a few minutes, I would really appreciate any help at all at this point. Thanks!

Check the troubleshooting section of the second post.

Check in MO2 right data tab there are ..\Grass\Tamriel*.cgid files

Make sure TexGen is generating billboards for grasses by checking its log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\TexGen_SSE_log.txt

Check the grass billboards in the TexGen output  show something and are no fully transparent

Check the DynDOLOD debug log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt contains <Notice: [Tamriel] Gathering grass data for object LOD>

Check the DynDOLOD log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt that there we no errors in the LODGen log or check the LODGen log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt directly that its last line is Code: 0

Check the object LOD atlas ..\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\DynDOLOD_Tamriel.dds contains some of the grass billboards generated by TexGen

Check the export file ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Export_Tamriel.txt has GrassMap=..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt. Check that GrassDensity is not 0. If it is very low grass may be very thin to non existined.

Check that ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt contains a few lines with grass billboard texture names and paths in it

Open ..\DynDOLOD_Output\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Objects\Tamriel.4.0.0.bto and check visually if there is grass LOD in there. The many tiny X will be obvious.

If you can't find a BTO with patches of grass, set expert=1 and verbose=1 in the DynDOLOD.INI and start DynDOLOD in expert mode, select worldspace and click Execute LODGen. Once its done, you can check the LODGen log for lines like Found z grass placements for LOD level 4 coord [x, y] . Check the BTO for the mentioned coordinates.

Wow! Thanks to the man himself. I've gone through the list and I have some clues I think, though I don't know how to interpret them.  

1 hour ago, sheson said:

Check in MO2 right data tab there are ..\Grass\Tamriel*.cgid files - CHECK

Make sure TexGen is generating billboards for grasses by checking its log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\TexGen_SSE_log.txt - CHECK
"Creating billboard C:\Modding\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\textures\terrain\lodgen\tamrielicgrass.esp\tg_fall_grass03_0000085a with Meshes\landscape\grass\tg_fall_grass03.nif TamrielicGrass.esp tg_fall_grass03 [GRAS:FE02385A]"

Check the grass billboards in the TexGen output  show something and are no fully transparent - CHECK

Check the DynDOLOD debug log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt contains <Notice: [Tamriel] Gathering grass data for object LOD> It does NOT contain this line.

Check the DynDOLOD log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt that there we no errors in the LODGen log or check the LODGen log ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt directly that its last line is Code: 0 - CHECK

Check the object LOD atlas ..\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\DynDOLOD_Tamriel.dds contains some of the grass billboards generated by TexGen It does NOT contain any grass.

Check the export file ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Export_Tamriel.txt has GrassMap=..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt - CHECK

Check that ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt contains a few lines with grass billboard texture names and paths in it - CHECK

Open ..\DynDOLOD_Output\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Objects\Tamriel.4.0.0.bto and check visually if there is grass LOD in there. The many tiny X will be obvious. To be honest, I have no idea how to open a bto file. I ended up downloading a program called DAZ stuido based on a google search, but that's not working.

Edited by RogueRim

25 minutes ago, RogueRim said:

Wow! Thanks to the man himself. I've gone through the list and I have some clues I think, though I don't know how to interpret them.  

..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt not containing a line with "Gathering grass data for object LOD" means Grass=1 is not set in the DynDOLOD INI.
Set Grass=1 in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_SSE.ini
Make sure there is no extraneous spaces or other characters.
That also explains that there are no grass billboards.

Does the ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt have the same/similar time stamp as the other files in the folder?

BTOs are just NIF files and can be opened with NifSkope.

Since this same exact question was created by same exact member in two different forums, i propose to use only one of them (this one).

My response to same question:

Logs were also posted over there, but they don't have any useful info AFAIK

If you run NifSkope from Mod Organizer and load the BTO file in the Skyrim\Data folder, NikSkope should show the textures on the mesh so you can see it easier. If you don't see the textures, In NifSkope go to Options > Settings, select the Resources tab, and add a path to the Skyrim\Data folder (e.g. to D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data). I do not know if grass is included in the mesh, though.

Thanks @Greg I will try that.

I've just gone ahead and tried @z929669 suggestions to change the
 "GrassLargeReference to 1 in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_SSE.ini so grass LOD starts right beyond the large reference distance (uLargeRefLODGridSize, typically between 5 = off and 11). Use this with DynDOLODGrassMode = 2 in ..\NetScriptFramework\Plugins\GrassControl.config.txt"

I'm not running cathedral landscapes. I reran Texgen & Dyndo using the settings you suggested after changing the above ini files.

DAV5AXL.jpg

EtOT14T.jpg

And still no grass in the distance. 

On8qxh2.jpg

I have this feeling that I'm missing some basic step, but I've looked through the manual and the grasslod help page and it's not obvious to me. It seems to me like I am getting better billboards, they just don't contain the grass and I can't tell why. Could it be that I need to put the grass files into the /data folder of my Skyrim instead of creating a new mod on MO2? I'm unable to upload my logs directly because the site is telling me I can upload 0mb, but they can be downloaded here: https://we.tl/t-ryv7FfZYWN just incase anyone is feeling generous! 

Thanks again for the help so far. I really do appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, RogueRim said:

Thanks @Greg I will try that.

I've just gone ahead and tried @z929669 suggestions to change the
 "GrassLargeReference to 1 in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_SSE.ini so grass LOD starts right beyond the large reference distance (uLargeRefLODGridSize, typically between 5 = off and 11). Use this with DynDOLODGrassMode = 2 in ..\NetScriptFramework\Plugins\GrassControl.config.txt"

And still no grass in the distance. 

On8qxh2.jpg

I have this feeling that I'm missing some basic step, but I've looked through the manual and the grasslod help page and it's not obvious to me. It seems to me like I am getting better billboards, they just don't contain the grass and I can't tell why. Could it be that I need to put the grass files into the /data folder of my Skyrim instead of creating a new mod on MO2? I'm unable to upload my logs directly because the site is telling me I can upload 0mb, but they can be downloaded here: https://we.tl/t-ryv7FfZYWN just incase anyone is feeling generous! 

Thanks again for the help so far. I really do appreciate it. 

Hmmm .... that sure looks like it could be grass in the distance but colored differently. Res isn't high enough in the screen to tell. This can happen if the DynDOLOD grass coloring isn't set as needed, or TexGen lighting. Are you using ENB? This could be another factor. Grass LOD billboards can be off in color. I see an area closer on the left with same coloring as in distance.

If you hide your grass folder in MO (under SKSE64 I think), and generate DynDOLOD without grass (alter all necessary INIs accordingly), then you will have a baseline for compare.

EDIT: Don't reloacate your grass data. Wait for sheson to chime in again or go back to the drawing board. There is a lot of stuff that you need to have configured properly for DynDOLOD to be set up for success. Perhaps go through the doc and your build setup. Revert back to vanilla and try that way to rule out all of the potential issues.

19 hours ago, RogueRim said:

@sheson I don't think I've entered Grass=1 incorrectly

I believe that LODGen_SSE_Grass_Map_Tamriel.txt does have similar time stamps.

The BTO file looks like this, though I don't know if it is showing grass or not. I think not? 

Copy and paste or upload text/INI/logiles instead of posting screenshots of text. 

Post the TexGen and DynDOLOD logs as explained on the first post. There is no point in doing anything else until the "Gathering grass data for object LOD"  is printed into the debug log.

There is no grass in that BTO, which is not surprising at this stage.

Upload TexGen and DynDOLOD logs and debug logs as explained in the first post.

5 hours ago, RogueRim said:

I just noticed that while playing with this dyn output my map looks like this. Is this a clue?
Edit: The map only looks like this while in blackreach. 

6XXP5tD.jpg

Blackreach has no map normally. You are probably using a mod that adds it.

What makes you believe this has anything to do with DynDOLOD?
If the load order changed, generate DynDOLOD from scratch so the highest overwrites are used to build the plugins. Read the first post what logfiles to post.