DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 180

sheson

Hi! Never had this problem before, Dyndolod SSE x64 is running out of memory and creating errors when loading meshes in this worldspace.

I have no mods which add anything out of the ordinary for Solstheim and the error just results in Dyndolod spinning it's wheels, making me restart so there's never a log file for the attempted dyndolod generation (last successful attempt was 6am this morning, I've tried to generate Dyndolod since then).

My system specs are:

1. Ryzen 3600
  2. RTX 3080 FTW3
  3. 16gb of DDR3 RAM

• Pagefile is set to Windows 10 default
  • I typically disable all mods that have nothing to do with Dyndolod generating Dynamic LODs and have done this for ages, through multiple versions without issue including at 6am this morning
  • I don't overclock
  • I use No Grass in Objects for precaching (mode set to 1). The Grass mod I use is Northern Grass SE, if that helps (grass folder is 10gb)
  • I use Open Cities (and follow your help guide on installing it + have done so successfully many, many times in the past with no deviation from the instructions)
  • The Dyndolod SSE Log doesn't show attempts at generating because my computer will freeze after this error appears and requires a hard reset to work again
  • I don't use mods which mess around in the Solstheim worldspace beyond the basic stuff like Raven Rock overhauls, SMIM and No Grass in Objects
  • I use 2k Textures on everything and actively avoid 4k textures
  • I use Vortex to manage my mods and launch Dyndolod through it
  • The Dyndolod folder is located on Local (C:) along with Program Files, etc. It's not in my game folder or on the desktop
  • Using Dyndolod 3.0 and it's respective resources files
  • Ran Texgen 1st + installed it's files
  • Dyndolod is using abnormally high amounts of resources compared to what it normally does (50-70% CPU, 70-97% memory, 50-100% disk)

I'm currently running it again, just in case with a few more mods disable but figure I should ask in advance because I expect this attempt to generate Dyndolod to fail.

Is there any other info you need which could help figure this situation out?

Edited by DankTemplar

59 minutes ago, sheson said:

This should be fixed in Alpha-79.

I ran both texgen and Dyndolod from Alpha-79. Texgen is now working out of the box. Dyndolod gave an item not found error the very first run (A different one this time, the error window that popped up said it was "Error: Item not found while processing textures\lod\mrkcliff01lod.dds". I backed up the logs and am uploading them to google drive but dyndolod never made a bugreport.txt file, because of that I reran Dyndolod and got an access violation this time. Still no bugreport.txt

I manually made a bugreport.txt file in the same directory as the .exe and reran it again for a third run. The bugreport.txt stayed blank. I got the same "Error: Access violation at address 0000000001249385 in module 'DynDOLODx64.exe'. Read of address 0000000000000000." as in the second run again.

I'm uploading the log and debug log from all three runs to a google drive folder, it will take probably 30 mins all the debug logs to finish uploading but I'll leave the link to the google drive folder here because I've got to run until 4:00 (just about 1:00 now).

Google drive link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AaXMm2JNLhcyfrxdw3-aDJ88kjFon8B0?usp=sharing

Second run access violation error copied to clipboard:

Spoiler

[Window Title]
DynDOLOD

[Main Instruction]
Access violation at address 0000000001249385 in module 'DynDOLODx64.exe'.

[Content]
Read of address 0000000000000000.

Click on this link for additional explanations and help for this message

[OK] [Exit DynDOLOD]

[Footer]
Online Help | Support Forum | Copy message to clipboard

Edited by Roastlawyer

47 minutes ago, DankTemplar said:

Hi! Never had this problem before, Dyndolod SSE x64 is running out of memory and creating errors when loading meshes in this worldspace.

I have no mods which add anything out of the ordinary for Solstheim and the error just results in Dyndolod spinning it's wheels, making me restart so there's never a log file for the attempted dyndolod generation (last successful attempt was 6am this morning, I've tried to generate Dyndolod since then).

My system specs are:

1. Ryzen 3600
  2. RTX 3080 FTW3
  3. 16gb of DDR3 RAM

• Pagefile is set to Windows 10 default
  • I typically disable all mods that have nothing to do with Dyndolod generating Dynamic LODs and have done this for ages, through multiple versions without issue including at 6am this morning
  • I don't overclock
  • I use No Grass in Objects for precaching (mode set to 1). The Grass mod I use is Northern Grass SE, if that helps (grass folder is 10gb)
  • I use Open Cities (and follow your help guide on installing it + have done so successfully many, many times in the past with no deviation from the instructions)
  • The Dyndolod SSE Log doesn't show attempts at generating because my computer will freeze after this error appears and requires a hard reset to work again
  • I don't use mods which mess around in the Solstheim worldspace beyond the basic stuff like Raven Rock overhauls, SMIM and No Grass in Objects
  • I use 2k Textures on everything and actively avoid 4k textures
  • I use Vortex to manage my mods and launch Dyndolod through it
  • The Dyndolod folder is located on Local (C:) along with Program Files, etc. It's not in my game folder or on the desktop
  • Using Dyndolod 3.0 and it's respective resources files
  • Ran Texgen 1st + installed it's files
  • Dyndolod is using abnormally high amounts of resources compared to what it normally does (50-70% CPU, 70-97% memory, 50-100% disk)

I'm currently running it again, just in case with a few more mods disable but figure I should ask in advance because I expect this attempt to generate Dyndolod to fail.

Is there any other info you need which could help figure this situation out?

Read the first post of the DynDOLOD 3 alpha thread where to make posts. I moved your post.

Upload the log and debug log and upload bugreport.txt if it exists when making posts as explained on the first post.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Help/Occlusion-Data#Out-of-Memory-while-Generating-Occlusion-Data or https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD#Out-of-memory-while-generating-occlusion-data

If a program running out of memory causes the OS to freeze, there is a problem with the OS, drivers, setting, BIOS settings or hardware.

There is no need to disable mods or plugins. If a mod/plugin does not affect LOD generation, there is no point in disabling it, because it does not affect LOD generation either way. I can all but guarantee, disabling some mods/plugins you believe do not affect LOD generation, do indeed affect LOD generation.

27 minutes ago, Roastlawyer said:

I ran both texgen and Dyndolod from Alpha-79. Texgen is now working out of the box. Dyndolod gave an item not found error the very first run (A different one this time, the error window that popped up said it was "Error: Item not found while processing textures\lod\mrkcliff01lod.dds". I backed up the logs and am uploading them to google drive but dyndolod never made a bugreport.txt file, because of that I reran Dyndolod and got an access violation this time. Still no bugreport.txt

I manually made a bugreport.txt file in the same directory as the .exe and reran it again for a third run. The bugreport.txt stayed blank. I got the same "Error: Access violation at address 0000000001249385 in module 'DynDOLODx64.exe'. Read of address 0000000000000000." as in the second run again.

I'm uploading the log and debug log from all three runs to a google drive folder, it will take probably 30 mins all the debug logs to finish uploading but I'll leave the link to the google drive folder here because I've got to run until 4:00 (just about 1:00 now).

Google drive link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AaXMm2JNLhcyfrxdw3-aDJ88kjFon8B0?usp=sharing

Second run access violation error copied to clipboard:

Reveal hidden contents

Run this test version, see if it works any better. Check for bugreport.txt in case it doesn't and upload with debug log.

17 minutes ago, sheson said:

Read the first post of the DynDOLOD 3 alpha thread where to make posts. I moved your post.

Upload the log and debug log and upload bugreport.txt if it exists when making posts as explained on the first post.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Help/Occlusion-Data#Out-of-Memory-while-Generating-Occlusion-Data or https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD#Out-of-memory-while-generating-occlusion-data

There is no need to disable mods or plugins. If a mod/plugin does not affect LOD generation, there is no point in disabling it, because it does not affect LOD generation either way. I can all but guarantee, disabling some mods/plugins you believe do not affect LOD generation, do indeed affect LOD generation.

I can upload those logs but it's going to be irrelevant because of what I explained, computer freezes and won't unfreeze until I hard reset after running Dyndolod. Wish it was otherwise but that's just how it's going to work this time around my man. The logs show the last attempt to generate being 6am this morning.

Thanks for the links, I'm trying that setting right now! I'll report back if that changes things.

I've definitely, definitely had Dyndolod 3.0 Alpha error out at the start on scripts before, tracked down the offending mod and deleted it which allowed Dyndolod to launch into it's UI. It literally happened yesterday with a Walk to Solstheim mod which I've deleted since. Make of that what you will , maybe I'm misunderstanding the nature of that mod and how it interacted with Dyndolod or maybe there's something more going on there to keep in mind if others report similar things.

14 minutes ago, DankTemplar said:

I can upload those logs but it's going to be irrelevant because of what I explained, computer freezes and won't unfreeze until I hard reset after running Dyndolod. Wish it was otherwise but that's just how it's going to work this time around my man. The logs show the last attempt to generate being 6am this morning.

Thanks for the links, I'm trying that setting right now! I'll report back if that changes things.

I've definitely, definitely had Dyndolod 3.0 Alpha error out at the start on scripts before, tracked down the offending mod and deleted it which allowed Dyndolod to launch into it's UI. It literally happened yesterday with a Walk to Solstheim mod which I've deleted since. Make of that what you will , maybe I'm misunderstanding the nature of that mod and how it interacted with Dyndolod or maybe there's something more going on there to keep in mind if others report similar things.

If a program running out of memory causes the OS to freeze, there is some kind of a problem with the OS, drivers, setting, BIOS settings or hardware.

DynDOLOD stopping the process because of errors in mods/plugins is not a problem with DynDOLOD. It means it is working as expected. It reports the error so it can be fixed.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

If a program running out of memory causes the OS to freeze, there is some kind of a problem with the OS, drivers, setting, BIOS settings or hardware.

DynDOLOD stopping the process because of errors in mods/plugins is not a problem with DynDOLOD. It means it is working as expected. It reports the error so it can be fixed.

Problem with this theory is it worked just fine earlier today. All I've done is replace Cathedral Landscapes with Northern Grass and redone my NGiO + Texgen + Dyndolod 3.0. This is also the only program that results in memory issues.

Went out for a walk while Dyndolod did it's thing, came back to a new error:

LODGenx64.exe - System Error

A new guard page for the stack cannot be created.

Good news is the log file is working now and the final lines say this:

[08:16] Waiting for LODGenx64.exe generating object LOD for Tamriel.
[49:19] Saving: DynDOLOD.esm
[49:19] Error saving DynDOLOD.esm: Operation aborted
[48:13] Created a summary of log messages C:\DynDOLOD\Summary\DynDOLOD_Index.html.
[49:19] Saving: DynDOLOD.esp
[49:19] Error saving DynDOLOD.esp: Operation aborted
[49:19] Saving: Occlusion.esp
[49:19] Error saving Occlusion.esp: Operation aborted
[49:19] Errors have occured. At least one file was not saved.

Any suggestions? I've a weekend that I'm mostly willing to dedicate to fixing this.

28 minutes ago, DankTemplar said:

Problem with this theory is it worked just fine earlier today. All I've done is replace Cathedral Landscapes with Northern Grass and redone my NGiO + Texgen + Dyndolod 3.0. This is also the only program that results in memory issues.

I am simply stating a fact. if the OS freezes or has BSOD because it told a program it can not have any more memory, then there is a problem with the OS or the system.

DynDOLOD wanting to use as much memory and CPU as possible to speed up things is how it is programmed. Grass LOD creates huge BTO files. Reading many large BTO files at the same time requires lots of memory. Nothing unusual about it. The INI setting to limit number of threads exists for this very reason.

28 minutes ago, DankTemplar said:

Went out for a walk while Dyndolod did it's thing, came back to a new error:

Read the first post which entire log of the session of interest, entire debug log and bugreport.txt (if it exists) to upload when making posts.

Typically operations are aborted when user clicks X top right of window to close the program.

46 minutes ago, sheson said:

I am simply stating a fact. if the OS freezes or has BSOD because it told a program it can not have any more memory, then there is a problem with the OS or the system.

DynDOLOD wanting to use as much memory and CPU as possible to speed up things is how it is programmed. Grass LOD creates huge BTO files. Reading many large BTO files at the same time requires lots of memory. Nothing unusual about it. The INI setting to limit number of threads exists for this very reason.

Read the first post which entire log of the session of interest, entire debug log and bugreport.txt (if it exists) to upload when making posts.

Typically operations are aborted when user clicks X top right of window to close the program.

No BSOD, just an unresponsive Dyndolod and OS until Dyndolod errors out then sometimes I can spam X to close the program, other times I have to end task it. After my computer is fine again.

Why on earth would it be Windows problem if a program misbehaves by trying to grab more resources than the OS can grant? Windows is the baseline. Everything has to work with or around it. If a program has a strange reaction to an instruction set from Windows wouldn't that be on the misbehaving program? Bar a janky Windows update or something which I imagine you'd be aware of since I wouldn't be the only one reporting the problem if that was the case.

Tried running lodxgen. I ended up with a new error.

[Window Title]
TexGen

[Main Instruction]
Texconv error 8007000E.

[Content]
textures\architecture\windhelm\WHroughground.dds

"C:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -aw 256 -f R8G8B8A8_UNORM -o "C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE" "C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE\51EE864F427C45AEA309E59754C50868.dds"

[Exit TexGen]

[Footer]

It seems it's a memory-related error.

I think I'm going to give up on making Northern Grass + NGiO + Dyndolod working together and try a different grass mod with a new cache file. I feel like I've run into this issue in the past before, this situation is giving me a huge sense of dejavu and I think I solved the issue last time by not using Northern Grass.

I'll provide the log files once the setup is complete and a report on if that fixes it (I think it might) It'll likely be 2 or 3 hours.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by DankTemplar

On 3/11/2022 at 11:17 PM, DankTemplar said:

No BSOD, just an unresponsive Dyndolod and OS until Dyndolod errors out then sometimes I can spam X to close the program, other times I have to end task it. After my computer is fine again.

Why on earth would it be Windows problem if a program misbehaves by trying to grab more resources than the OS can grant? Windows is the baseline. Everything has to work with or around it. If a program has a strange reaction to an instruction set from Windows wouldn't that be on the misbehaving program? Bar a janky Windows update or something which I imagine you'd be aware of since I wouldn't be the only one reporting the problem if that was the case.

Tried running lodxgen. I ended up with a new error.

It seems it's a memory-related error.

I think I'm going to give up on making Northern Grass + NGiO + Dyndolod working together and try a different grass mod with a new cache file. I feel like I've run into this issue in the past before, this situation is giving me a huge sense of dejavu and I think I solved the issue last time by not using Northern Grass.

I'll provide the log files once the setup is complete and a report on if that fixes it (I think it might) It'll likely be 2 or 3 hours.

Thanks for the help.

The OS is what controls resources. A simple program requests a resource from the OS, it may grant or deny it. Then the simple program deals with it. In this case DynDOLOD prints a error message and stops. If the OS freezes while doing its job, it has some kind of problem or is not a very well programmed OS.

Texconv also ran out of memory. Same thing: a simple program requests memory from the OS. OS says no. Program chooses to stop with error message.

Without logs I can not really make further suggestions that could help to reduce memory usage of the tools.

It is possible there are huge grass cache files or some other problem with one causing LODGen to consume a lot of memory. Maybe its log provides clues (setting Verbose=1 for more info could help). Setting LODGenThreadSplit= to same number as virtual cores might help.

11 minutes ago, xcal68 said:

Speaking of logs heh...

Was 79 released twice?  Wondering the difference between the two, as I currently am creating LODs with the first one.

Replaced references in the DynDOLOD INI to the old html docs with URLs.

3 hours ago, sheson said:

Run this test version, see if it works any better. Check for bugreport.txt in case it doesn't and upload with debug log.

I'm still getting access violation issues, but using that test version I got a bugreport.txt

Spoiler

[Window Title]
DynDOLOD

[Main Instruction]
Access violation at address 0000000001252F45 in module 'DynDOLODx64.exe'.

[Content]
Read of address 0000000000000000.

[OK] [Exit DynDOLOD]

[Footer]

Debug Log: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jTDOvaYZLJpcSiQje3GURhqyvCdqd2cM?usp=sharing

bugreport.txt DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt