DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

40 minutes ago, Abbot said:

Sorry, Sheson, but I'm not sure I understand.

Doing that gives me the problem that I have described?

This is how things look with vanilla Sktim and DynDOLOD 3 alpha 33:

Full models of the cabin in the active cell. Vanilla references and base records not overwritten by any plugin:
59721-1626876168-376358768.jpeg

Object LOD for the cabin generated by DynDOLOD 3 alpha 33:
59721-1626876177-2132235854.jpeg

To verify that we see static object LOD that goes away when all LOD is disabled:
59721-1626876173-126659745.jpeg

Consequently, in a vanilla game, the full models in the loaded cells are unmodified and they have correct static object LOD generated.

You posted screenshots that show wooden beams instead of the cabin and reported that those are references/base records defined in the Skyrim plugin that are not overwritten. That only leaves something overwriting the full models as explanation why shack pieces are all of sudden wooden beams.

In the LOD generation process DynDOLOD overwrites base records setting the HasDistantLOD after object LOD has been long generated. Setting the flag does not affect LOD generation, it is rather the other way around. The overwrite/flag does not change the full model. DynDOLOD 2.x sets the flag on too many base records unnecessarily, DynDOLOD 3.x is just smarter about it.

So what I am saying is, generate LOD for the vanilla game without any other mods/plugins to test. 

31 minutes ago, sheson said:

Full models of the cabin in the active cell. Vanilla references and base records not overwritten by any plugin:

To verify that we see static object LOD that goes away when all LOD is disabled:

Consequently, in a vanilla game, the full models in the loaded cells are unmodified and they have correct static object LOD generated.

You posted screenshots that show wooden beams instead of the cabin and reported that those are references/base records defined in the Skyrim plugin that are not overwritten. That only leaves something overwriting the full models as explanation why shack pieces are all of sudden wooden beams.

In the LOD generation process DynDOLOD overwrites base records setting the HasDistantLOD after object LOD has been long generated. Setting the flag does not affect LOD generation, it is rather the other way around. The overwrite/flag does not change the full model. DynDOLOD 2.x sets the flag on too many base records unnecessarily, DynDOLOD 3.x is just smarter about it.

So what I am saying is, generate LOD for the vanilla game without any other mods/plugins to test. 

I should specify that I did NOT re-generate DynDOLOD with the flags. I've added them ON TOP of the existing DynDOLOD that gave me problems.

I'm going to generate DynDOLOD on a Vanilla game right away.

1 hour ago, EazyH said:

Thank you, I am following this for the most part and was wondering if hd trees would be simply created using the HD tree option in TexGen, since I know he has some settings for hd tree, though he used billboard 4 instead of Lvl 0, which I usually see. 

my current tree settings (And recommended for Myrkvior) was Lvl 0, Billboard 2, Billboard 2. So you’re saying essentially in its current form, I can’t simply use LTM to replace the conflicting trees in Myrkvior without running into issues? If I’m not mistaken, when he uses ultra tree in TexGen w/ BB4, doesn’t that make all trees 3D? What would stop the trees from being able to be 3D if used w/ Myrkvior? And if it’s a bit much to explain, feel free to let me know that too, as I admittedly am very green with some of this stuff

From docs/help/Billboards.html:
Tree and Grass LOD billboards are diffuse *.DDS textures that show the rendered tree/grass from a front view and a *.TXT file with additional information about the width, height etc.
HD Tree LOD billboards are diffuse and normalmap *.DDS textures that show the rendered tree/grass from a front and a side view. They can only be used with ultra tree LOD.
The tree/grass LOD billboards are used for a simple 2 plane model crossing like an X if viewed from top.

AFAIK the little tree mod does not include 3D tree LOD models so far. So if a LOD level has Level0 defined, DynDOLOD will fall back to the billboard defined by TreeFullFallBack in the DynDOLOD INI settings and explained in docs/trees.ultra/DynDOLOD-Trees.html and/or above the INI setting. If you prefer Billboard4 for example, set TreeFullFallBack=4

As explained plenty of times before, when participating in the DynDOLOD 3 alpha test, do not install any billboards from mods (they are for xLODGen/DynDOLOD 2.x). They should all be generated by TexGen for the current load order and will always take current overwrite order of plugins/models/textures into account.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

With Vanilla the shack does not disappear at close distance but it disappears at... "medium"? distance. Meaning that I see no shack far away but I do see one once I go extremely far away.

14 minutes ago, Abbot said:

With Vanilla the shack does not disappear at close distance but it disappears at... "medium"? distance. Meaning that I see no shack far away but I do see one once I go extremely far away.

By default shack pieces only have LOD in the the first LOD level 4.

If you see LOD again extremely far away the LOD level distances are probably messed up, like maybe higher level 16 has shorter distance than lower level 4. That is assuming the shack has static object LOD.

See How LOD works in docs\DynDOLOD_Manual.html

2 hours ago, sheson said:

By default shack pieces only have LOD in the the first LOD level 4.

If you see LOD again extremely far away the LOD level distances are probably messed up, like maybe higher level 16 has shorter distance than lower level 4. That is assuming the shack has static object LOD.

See How LOD works in docs\DynDOLOD_Manual.html

Since I'm here, I would like to profit from this occasion to possibly solve another problem. I have the infamous "double window" bug whenever I check the "glowing windows" option (no matter the version of DynDOLOD that I use). Not everywhere, just on Dragonsreach in Whiterun and on the Nine DIvines Temple, the Bard College, and the Blue Palace in Solitude. I use ELFX -Exteriors. What should I do to prevent the bug from producing itself? Would it be counter-productive to disable ELFX-Exteriors and its assets before generating DynDOLOD?

I generally use the default TexGen settings of 8 pixels. After checking out the STEPS guide, I decided to try 11 pixels, as y’all have shown. I did notice it mentioned higher values make lower resolution files, which I assume CAN possibly make your files smaller, but I wouldn’t think it would be that much smaller. Would this one setting alone drastically change the file sizes of your meshes and textures? My TexGen output is usually about 294, but since switching, my output is now about 187. I thought it was an issue that came about from me trying to combine the two tree mods and missing so files, but after investigation, it was only about 7 MB of files missing. So I ran with Myrkvior alone to confirm, and to my surprise my output was 184.

The only other change I made was adding COTN Morthal, Dawnstar, and Winterhold, but I would’ve expected MORE of a file size, since prior, it would only use the existing farmhouse-like textures you have installed

I think I found what happened. Looked in the plug-in, and found that Myrkvior was using some sfo and sgr meshes as replacers for some vanilla trees, while T4 still has the vanilla naming convention. So if his tree replaced Kojack’s, it makes sense that that mesh and corresponding textures are not used when LTM is used. At least I’m pretty sure that’s what happens. Now I just need to find out about setting his trees to his rules, and Myrkvior’s for everything else. If I selected HD tree, is that the same as if I were to select ultra? As in I could set his trees to B4 as he wishes? clicking ultra just makes it so that all of the trees use HD trees for all billboards, or is there more to that? I know there’s a difference between the full and hybrid models, and I believe there’s static as well?

Sorry for the spam, I cannot figure out how to edit my comment. I think I understand though, I should be able to use the Myrkvior settings but change TreeFallBack to BB4, which would generate the HD Billboards from LTM. Gotcha. 

if I misunderstood, Please let me know. I appreciate all the help and being able to be a part of DynDOLOD 3.0 and make my game beautiful

5 hours ago, EazyH said:

I generally use the default TexGen settings of 8 pixels. After checking out the STEPS guide, I decided to try 11 pixels, as y’all have shown. I did notice it mentioned higher values make lower resolution files, which I assume CAN possibly make your files smaller, but I wouldn’t think it would be that much smaller. Would this one setting alone drastically change the file sizes of your meshes and textures? My TexGen output is usually about 294, but since switching, my output is now about 187. I thought it was an issue that came about from me trying to combine the two tree mods and missing so files, but after investigation, it was only about 7 MB of files missing. So I ran with Myrkvior alone to confirm, and to my surprise my output was 184.

The only other change I made was adding COTN Morthal, Dawnstar, and Winterhold, but I would’ve expected MORE of a file size, since prior, it would only use the existing farmhouse-like textures you have installed

I think I found what happened. Looked in the plug-in, and found that Myrkvior was using some sfo and sgr meshes as replacers for some vanilla trees, while T4 still has the vanilla naming convention. So if his tree replaced Kojack’s, it makes sense that that mesh and corresponding textures are not used when LTM is used. At least I’m pretty sure that’s what happens. Now I just need to find out about setting his trees to his rules, and Myrkvior’s for everything else. If I selected HD tree, is that the same as if I were to select ultra? As in I could set his trees to B4 as he wishes? clicking ultra just makes it so that all of the trees use HD trees for all billboards, or is there more to that? I know there’s a difference between the full and hybrid models, and I believe there’s static as well?

Sorry for the spam, I cannot figure out how to edit my comment. I think I understand though, I should be able to use the Myrkvior settings but change TreeFallBack to BB4, which would generate the HD Billboards from LTM. Gotcha. 

if I misunderstood, Please let me know. I appreciate all the help and being able to be a part of DynDOLOD 3.0 and make my game beautiful

TexGen generates textures. It's settings are explained in the included documentation. Read docs/help/TexGen.html

As mentioned before, the folder sizes of the output is a meaningless value. It varies depending on load order, source textures resolutions and settings etc.
What is important is that the resolutions of textures are not unnecessarily larger than they have to be for each individual texture and that (only) the required textures are generated that are needed for the load order and your preference.

The logs and reports print out what is generated. The tree report lists what tree uses what LOD assets for which LOD asset.

Read my previous posts and the manual.
Billboard1 or Billboard4 are the best suited for HD billboards with normal maps.

From docs/help/Billboards.html:
HD Tree LOD billboards are diffuse and normalmap *.DDS textures that show the rendered tree/grass from a front and a side view. They can only be used with ultra tree LOD.

From docs/help/TexGen.html:
HD Tree billboards are for the optional ultra tree LOD generation.

If HD billboards exist for a tree, they take precedence over standard billboards.

Read docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html for principle explanations of ultra tree LOD

10 hours ago, Abbot said:

Since I'm here, I would like to profit from this occasion to possibly solve another problem. I have the infamous "double window" bug whenever I check the "glowing windows" option (no matter the version of DynDOLOD that I use). Not everywhere, just on Dragonsreach in Whiterun and on the Nine DIvines Temple, the Bard College, and the Blue Palace in Solitude. I use ELFX -Exteriors. What should I do to prevent the bug from producing itself? Would it be counter-productive to disable ELFX-Exteriors and its assets before generating DynDOLOD?

Disabling plugins is a troubleshooting step.

Read FAQ: Game: Out of place objects / floating objects / flickering full models 

Read the first post what to include when making a bug report post. Also include how to reproduce the problem.
Additional information to provide would be the name of the plugin and form id mentioned by the EditorID of the LOD window reference in the DynDOLOD plugin.

9 hours ago, sheson said:

TexGen generates textures. It's settings are explained in the included documentation. Read docs/help/TexGen.html

As mentioned before, the folder sizes of the output is a meaningless value. It varies depending on load order, source textures resolutions and settings etc.
What is important is that the resolutions of textures are not unnecessarily larger than they have to be for each individual texture and that (only) the required textures are generated that are needed for the load order and your preference.

The logs and reports print out what is generated. The tree report lists what tree uses what LOD assets for which LOD asset.

Read my previous posts and the manual.
Billboard1 or Billboard4 are the best suited for HD billboards with normal maps.

From docs/help/Billboards.html:

From docs/help/TexGen.html:
HD Tree billboards are for the optional ultra tree LOD generation.

If HD billboards exist for a tree, they take precedence over standard billboards.

Read docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html for principle explanations of ultra tree LOD

Thank you, I ended up using ultra tree and setting custom rules for all his vanilla trees at BB4, w/ a custom “treeaspen” rule to cover Aspens Ablaze and a custom “tree” rule to cover the rest of Myrkvior’s provided trees. Thank you again for your help

though for whatever reason I still can’t get brown tundra grass LOD To match well using the RGB settings. No idea what the issue is, but with ENB, I just keep ending up with different shades of green. I think I’ll have to admit defeat and just go with green tundra, because I cannot find the balance

Edited by EazyH

48 minutes ago, zurin said:

I'm not able to generate LOD for BS Bruma in DynDOLOD 3.0. Is there a trick to this or this feature just not available yet on 3.0? 

Read the included manual, like the FAQ answers for DynDOLOD.exe: Not seeing all worlds in the selection box.

A: Some worlds added by plugins are filtered out by default, because generating LOD for them might not be useful or requires special attention. Remove the worldspace name from the filter file ..DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_[GAMEMODE]_worldspace_ignore.txt. Search for the mod, plugin or the worldspace name on https://stepmodifications.org/forum/forum/223-shesons-dyndolod-xlodgen/ for more information.

This was already explained and discussed years ago as Beyond Bruma came out in 2017 and DynDOLOD 2.30 or so.

20 hours ago, sheson said:

Read the included manual, like the FAQ answers for DynDOLOD.exe: Not seeing all worlds in the selection box.

A: Some worlds added by plugins are filtered out by default, because generating LOD for them might not be useful or requires special attention. Remove the worldspace name from the filter file ..DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_[GAMEMODE]_worldspace_ignore.txt. Search for the mod, plugin or the worldspace name on https://stepmodifications.org/forum/forum/223-shesons-dyndolod-xlodgen/ for more information.

This was already explained and discussed years ago as Beyond Bruma came out in 2017 and DynDOLOD 2.30 or so.

I did read the manual to be frank, My problem was that switching from 2.96 to 3.00, I was not able to find the DynDOLOD_[GAMEMODE]_worldspace_ignore.txt. for DynDOLOD 3.00 and version 2.96 runs just fine for Bruma. I'll re-run DynDOLOD and let you know.

I am not sure where to place a suggestion, so I just place it here. You can move it anytime if you want to.

I am currently in the process of creating LOD's with DynDOLOD v3 alpha 33. Thing that I have noticed;

v3 is even more finicky about creating LOD than v2.9 was. I really appreciate the fact that it checks for errors within the single mods (which is really helpful for large mod-lists in general), but I really would appreciate if the checking mode would run to it's end and the dialogue with a full list of errors would pop up at the very end. (you can still make it so that DynDOLOD can not be run with the errors present tough). That way we would not have to endure a neverending cycle (with long mod lists) of twiggling thumbs while DynDOLOD starts - the menu - the checking process - error message - run xEdit to fix the problem, rince and repeat.

Having said that; DynDOLOD is finally running through, and I can't wait to see the brand new version in action. Thanks a lot for keeping this gem up to date.  :)