STEP Tree LOD settings when NOT using A Clear Map of Skyrim?

Hypobolic

Hi,

So after changing the tree mod I'm using as well as grass and some terrain textures, I'm going through the STEP LOD generation guide, in the DynDOLOD section there are some recommended rules for LOD generation when using A Clear Map of Skyrim. Specifically is says to set the Tree LOD4 rules to use Billboard4, and also notes that the Aspen trees can drop FPS by 30 if this is not done.

It actually says that Aspen trees are ALWAYS set to tree LOD4, so as not to render branches.

I am choosing not to use A Clear Map of Skyrim. My question is if the above statement is true for all tree LOD generation, even when not using A Clear Map of Skyrim?

Even through these recommendations are inset under the heading specifically for A Clear Map of Skyrim, is this true when not using it? 30fps is an alarming number.

Thanks!

Edited by Hypobolic

Okay, so that's good to know. In essence I should always run tree LOD4 at Billboard4.

Also, I actually have gone with not using the Conflict Resolution patch, simply because I did not choose to use every mod flagged in the STEP modlist, as well as adding a whole bunch of mods outside of the list. I was concerned that if my modlist did not mirror the list in STEP that running the conflict resolution patch might cause additional problems for me.

As far as compatibility goes, I've got everything sorted and working great, LOOT has been my safety net, as well as just reading about individual mod compatibility issues.

So, in this situation, would there be any harm in running the STEP conflict resolution patch? I guess that might depend on what I am actually running. Just curious though.

Thanks!

Edited by Hypobolic

The Step Conflict Resolution Patch contains a number of fixes beyond mere conflict resolution. If you can use it (dependent upon if you are missing any of its masters or not), you probably should. Otherwise, customize and patch as you see fit. The guide isn't designed as a pick and choose kind of guide, so be aware that not all instructions apply when using it as such, and you will need to use your best judgement to decide on these things.

I do realize that STEP is not designed as a pick and choose guide, however, I found it immeasurably helpful in organizing the setup of MO2 and all of the associated tools, paths, outputs, etc...

Also getting everything primed for LOD generation and what settings to use for what resolution is invaluable. the DynDOLOD page can be a bit of a challenge to interpret for a new modder.

I applaud you guys for what you've done here, even for someone picking and choosing, basically all of the important information from A-Z about getting SkyrimSE modding up and sold in MO2 is here in one place. Before diving in here, I had absolutely no idea that I was completely missing steps in all different areas.

So I hope you're not upset that I'm using STEP and your forums not completely in the way it was intended, but still finding tremendous value. I'm a hair away from making a few mods of my own now.

So, thank you guys very much!

Edited by Hypobolic
  • Like 1

No, I'm not upset at all lol. We have lots of advanced modders who do what you are doing, and that is all perfectly fine. Some even customize the Step Patch to their needs by removing masters they don't want, and such and so forth. Just wanted to make sure you understood this.

15 hours ago, Hypobolic said:

Hi,

So after changing the tree mod I'm using as well as grass and some terrain textures, I'm going through the STEP LOD generation guide, in the DynDOLOD section there are some recommended rules for LOD generation when using A Clear Map of Skyrim. Specifically is says to set the Tree LOD4 rules to use Billboard4, and also notes that the Aspen trees can drop FPS by 30 if this is not done.

It actually says that Aspen trees are ALWAYS set to tree LOD4, so as not to render branches.

I am choosing not to use A Clear Map of Skyrim. My question is if the above statement is true for all tree LOD generation, even when not using A Clear Map of Skyrim?

Even through these recommendations are inset under the heading specifically for A Clear Map of Skyrim, is this true when not using it? 30fps is an alarming number.

Thanks!

This is an exaggeration, and I have updated the note, which was originally showing the TOTAL cost of Aspens Ablaze WITH DynDOLOD 3D trees in LOD4 (Level0, as we use by default in the tree mesh rule). We should be mentioning the ADDED cost of AA 3D trees in the Rift, which is more like 10 FPS added performance cost relative to Billboard# (mileage will vary by PC).