Installing STEP again, already stuck

I am reinstalling STEP for Skyrim: LE. It's been a few years since I've done this, but have managed to creek it out in the past.

When I get to the step of tool setup, everything seems to have immediately fallen apart.

"Some tools will have been auto-detected and added"

They are not. None of them are. I've combed backwards to find out where I made a horrendous misstep. The only thing that I can think of is that it somehow has something to do with the fact that my "Modding" folder is not nested under a "Games" folder against the suggested file structure. The reason for this is that when I got this new PC I had already installed Steam in it's own folder to avoid any UAC weirdness when modding any game at all. Maybe it doesn't mean anything and I can safely just add them manually and if that's the case, fine. However, I want to be sure before I dig myself too deep.

However, the real difficulty is when I proceed to step 6.

"6. Tick the Create files in mod instead of overwrite box. Select the xEdit Output mod from the drop-down."

I do not have the xEdit Output mod in the drop-down. Nothing's in the drop-down. I've combed back over the instructions for SkyrimLE and the System Setup Guide to try and figure out what I missed, and I can't find it.

What in God's name am I doing wrong?

Our LE guide probably needs an update to the xEdit setup as we did to our SSE guide. I will take a look when I have time.

Changing your folder structure won't matter much as long as you account for it in all path references elsewhere and you are not installing tools into UAC-controlled paths. See the System Setup Guide in Step 1 for more detail on that.

OK, good that's exactly what I did. Just FYI as well, the newest version of BethINI does not have the "Modify Custom INIs" anymore presumably replaced with a tickbox (which I did not tick) for making the INI's read-only. Might want to update that bit too, but I'm not terribly alarmed by it or anything.

5 hours ago, whitewolf87 said:

While I've got your attention (and I'll leave you alone after this at least for a bit), I noticed that all my executables have "Force load libraries" ticked even if I didn't tick it, I'm assuming that expected behaviour for some reason?

This is fine and expected. Most executables won't have libs or associated programs, but it's handy if they do exist and are needed (example: Python modules/libs). It won't affect anything.

OK, new problem. I looked down a bit and noticed that "Stealth Skills Rebalanced" is required for the STEP patch, but I don't really want SSR as much as I want to use "T3ND0's Perkus Maximus" which may have compatibility issues.

Is there a viable workaround for this or am I just going to have to forgo Perkus Maximus?

Edited by whitewolf87

I decided it wasn't worth the faffe after starting to realise everything it would entail re: conflicts. I mostly went by the guide except for dumping all my favourite quest mods in there.

Completed the guide, wrapping up now and going to bed. Thanks for everything guys. This thread can be marked resolved. Very good installation experience.

Edited by whitewolf87
  • Like 1