Paint on giant blue obelisk fades/reappears as I approach/back up

I don't honestly know if this is a new thing in my game or I just never noticed it before, but there are certain rocks in giant camps (giantobeliskblue02 or something) that I noticed looked funny from a distance.  As I get within a certain distance the blue paint begins to appear in triangle-shaped pieces until it is completely applied once up I'm close. 

I'm trying to get a video up by this evening of the issue but wanted to start a topic to get any ideas.  I'm guessing the paint is a decal...its weird though as you can actually see on the rock where the paint is going to appear before it does.  Like the design is an impression in the rock that fills with paint, if that makes any sense?   Anyway any help or ideas are welcome and appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Sounds like low-res LOD loading to full.

I kind of thought about that like maybe it was a lod not unloading thing, tll made no difference but not sure if it would?

Just to be clear (and it might be obvious), this happens within the loaded cell...like the way sometimes snow decals fade from mountains/rocks as you approach.  But there's this weird triangular fill in or rendering pattern.

23 minutes ago, MisterMorden said:

I kind of thought about that like maybe it was a lod not unloading thing, tll made no difference but not sure if it would?

TLL will toggle LOD, so if the 'bad' texture is part of LOD, TLL from far away while it looks odd should make the object disappear if it is a LOD object. You could try changing your nearest LOD distance via the DynDOLOD MCM to something like 25000 to see if it happens when you are much closer to the object(s).

4 hours ago, z929669 said:

TLL will toggle LOD, so if the 'bad' texture is part of LOD, TLL from far away while it looks odd should make the object disappear if it is a LOD object. You could try changing your nearest LOD distance via the DynDOLOD MCM to something like 25000 to see if it happens when you are much closer to the object(s).

I have a few things I'm going to try tonight...trying a giant rock & giant paint retex and if that doesn't solve the issue I'm going to try adjusting my dyndolod mcm settings to see if that has and effect.  Thanks for you thoughts on the problem, Z.

Edited by MisterMorden

34 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

I think those are actually decals on that object.

Hmm, I tried different decal fade settings (eg fDecalLODFadeEnd, fDecalLODFadeStart, etc under [LightingShader]) to no avail.  Is there anything else I can adjust?

22 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Not that I'm aware it. It could possibly be the mesh. I think I remember seeing this before and determined it was just another Skyrim oddity. I never really messed with the mesh much, though.

Well, if I can't get it looking better I'll just try to make a patch disabling all the fugly offenders...when all else fails, initially disable those buggers, lol.

Ok, ya'll, I managed to fix this issue by installing El Sopa HD Giant Paintings using the "no paint" option (this option can cause ctd if not run through CAO first).  It's possible that the different color paint options could work too, plan on trying those too...but for now I'm just happy to be rid of disappearing paint!  I also used the chance to rename my mountain texture to GiantRock01.dds so now they actually don't look so from all the other rocks in the game.