Nature of the Wild Lands

ButchDiavolo

Discussion topic:
Nature of the Wild Lands - forest and trees improvement mod by fxckthisworld
Wiki Link

I have been trying out this new tree mod. So far I am very impressed with the overall look and execution of it. It gives an amazing lush woodland feel to the areas it (so far) covers (Riften, Riverwood and Falkreath). I have been using it together with Enhanced Vanilla Trees, Realistic Aspen trees, Happy Little Trees (in that order, followed by Nature of the Wild Lands) and have had no issues at all, apart from one tree placed at the Campsite start of ASLAL, for which the mod author made a patch (but you could just leave the tree or disable it). On a side note: the creator is apparently Ukrainian according to their Nexus profile, so given the circumstances the mod may not be worked on actively for the duration?

14 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I like it. Looks like a humongous project. There's probably a good chance he will not be updating this for a while if ever, but his situation may be atypical.

Yes, I just noticed he logged into Nexus today. So we will just wait and see, right?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nature of the Wild Lands has been updated and now includes the Morthal region as well.

Version 2.2:
- The Morthal region is completely done.
- Changed trees in the Markarth region.
- The trees are slightly increased in size.
- Almost all tree meshes have been optimized.
- Added new types of trees.
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
- Added patch for Cities of the North - Falkreath.
- Added patch for Elysium Estate.
- Added patch for JK's Riverfall Cottage.
- Added patch for LC_Build Your Noble House.
- Added patch for Riverside Lodge.

Edited by ButchDiavolo
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Nature of the Wild Lands has been updated and now includes the Morthal region as well.

Version 2.2:
- The Morthal region is completely done.
- Changed trees in the Markarth region.
- The trees are slightly increased in size.
- Almost all tree meshes have been optimized.
- Added new types of trees.
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
- Added patch for Cities of the North - Falkreath.
- Added patch for Elysium Estate.
- Added patch for JK's Riverfall Cottage.
- Added patch for LC_Build Your Noble House.
- Added patch for Riverside Lodge.

Nice! I was just looking at this mod, again, last night. I know the author planned to cover it, but makes no mention of the last few areas it doesn't seem to touch yet (snow and volcanic tundra). These are more sparse areas, though, so the author could simply not bother with them and it would me okay. Then lastly are the files needed to make hybrid 3D trees with DynDOLOD.

I'm tracking it to see if these things are ever produced because I think this is the best forest overhaul I've come across in terms of aesthetics.

1 hour ago, TechAngel85 said:

Nice! I was just looking at this mod, again, last night. I know the author planned to cover it, but makes no mention of the last few areas it doesn't seem to touch yet (snow and volcanic tundra). These are more sparse areas, though, so the author could simply not bother with them and it would me okay. Then lastly are the files needed to make hybrid 3D trees with DynDOLOD.

I'm tracking it to see if these things are ever produced because I think this is the best forest overhaul I've come across in terms of aesthetics.

Ditto. I assume he is making the LOD models, but if he doesn't, I will do so.

The MA plans on making LOD models for his trees once he is completely satisfied with them, so evidently, we can expect further updates before it's 'final' enough for him to do so. Otherwise, we'll need to make them on our own in the meantime ... that is, each user for themselves, because he wants to do this himself. This implies to me that he'd possibly not grant permission for others to do so and post on Nexus; although, I didn't explicitly ask for that permission. I merely offered to help.

• 1 month later...

The only concerning thing about this mod is that the last couple of updates have made some landscape (and 'terrain') edits, which presents a potential huge compatibility issue with many other fundamental mods. Lots of patches could be needed (and maintained).