Reacquiring game files with MO2?

Darklustre

Question

I'm having characters randomly going invisible during combat. I'm assuming this means I've lost something required to render them? I'm thinking the first step might be to reacquire the game files through Steam, but I'm using MO2 and am not finding good guides on how to do that. Loot hasn't solved the issue. Does anyone have any thoughts about why this might be happening and how to fix it? Much obliged.

3 answers to this question

I did a quick search and it looks as if the issue with randomly invisible characters may be caused by HDT physics mods. One person specifically mentions that if the movement speed of an item with HDT physics (hair, body parts, cloaks, whatever) exceeds maxLinearVelocity or maxAngularVelocity specified in hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml, the NPC may mysteriously become invisible. I've never used HDT phsycis so I'm just going by what I found in a quick search.

If you're on Skyrim Legendary Edition, I might speculate that it may be related to memory issues so you might verify the settings in skse.ini for Skyrim Script Extender and enblocal.ini for ENBoost. You can find the information you need into the SkyrimLE 3.0 guide. I doubt this is the issue if you using Skyrim Special Edition.

For further troubleshooting, I would create a new profile in Mod Organizer that has nothing but the vanilla masters enabled and sorted in the correct order. Verify this is working correctly and then add in a few mods at a time until you can reproduce the issue.

As far as reacquiring the game assets, you can do this by opening Steam. I forgot exactly where it is, but I think you want to be looking at Skyrim Legendary Edition or Skyrim Special Edition and you'll find a setting to validate game files. If yo click this, Steam will revert any modified or missing files back to the original state. Mod Organizer keeps copies of skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in your profile folder so you don't need to worry about these.

6 minutes ago, Greg said:

I did a quick search and it looks as if the issue with randomly invisible characters may be caused by HDT physics mods. One person specifically mentions that if the movement speed of an item with HDT physics (hair, body parts, cloaks, whatever) exceeds maxLinearVelocity or maxAngularVelocity specified in hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml, the NPC may mysteriously become invisible. I've never used HDT phsycis so I'm just going by what I found in a quick search.

If you're on Skyrim Legendary Edition, I might speculate that it may be related to memory issues so you might verify the settings in skse.ini for Skyrim Script Extender and enblocal.ini for ENBoost. You can find the information you need into the SkyrimLE 3.0 guide. I doubt this is the issue if you using Skyrim Special Edition.

For further troubleshooting, I would create a new profile in Mod Organizer that has nothing but the vanilla masters enabled and sorted in the correct order. Verify this is working correctly and then add in a few mods at a time until you can reproduce the issue.

As far as reacquiring the game assets, you can do this by opening Steam. I forgot exactly where it is, but I think you want to be looking at Skyrim Legendary Edition or Skyrim Special Edition and you'll find a setting to validate game files. If yo click this, Steam will revert any modified or missing files back to the original state. Mod Organizer keeps copies of skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in your profile folder so you don't need to worry about these.

Wow your quick searching skills must be far superior to my "looking up this damned question for 45 minutes skills" lol. Thanks. Not really sure what you said, but thanks. I'm not really getting it because NPCs were becoming invisible when they were barely moving. It wasn't like they had a speed boost. Not sure if that matters. Also it wasn't just NPCs. Nimhe becomes invisible if some mod replaces her with a "Deathstalker Spider" or something like that. I an not using ENB. I don't know what HDT physics are. I'm thinking I don't have any mods with that? I do have FNIS

So you can reacquire the game files like normal through steam even though you are using MO2? I'll try that then. Thanks for the help. It's so great that there are folks here that are still helping people out. 

7 hours ago, Darklustre said:

I'm having characters randomly going invisible during combat. I'm assuming this means I've lost something required to render them? I'm thinking the first step might be to reacquire the game files through Steam, but I'm using MO2 and am not finding good guides on how to do that. Loot hasn't solved the issue. Does anyone have any thoughts about why this might be happening and how to fix it? Much obliged.

We created the System Setup Guide specifically to instruct how to reacquire game files and a wealth of other essential info. Sounds like you would benefit from reading it.