Can't remove empty master file

BigBlueWolf

Question

Recently getting back into Skyrim modding with SE. My plan is to use STEP as a base and then add (or subtract) stuff on top of it.

After getting the latest STEP guide (0.2.0b) working, I went into SSEEdit and attempted to combine the two STEP patches into a single file. Everything was going great, but I can't remove the "STEP Skyrim SE - CR Patch.esp" file from my new ESP's master list.

Everything in that patch file is a duplicate in the my new file. Googling around I came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyxDZT49CfM which showed how to make a dummy master file to facilitate the removal process. Followed the video. Everything good. No errors. 

I triumphantly select my ESP and click "Clean Masters"... and the reference is still there.  :confusion:

I've been banging my head against the desk trying to figure out how it's even possible. I don't want my file to be dependent on an empty ESP. Anyone have ideas on what to try next?

(By the way, I tried removing the master with CK and it was a disaster.)

Edited by BigBlueWolf

2 answers to this question

Ah! I figured it out. But the circumstances are still ... odd.

There is a game setting copied over from the original STEP patch file in the Game Settings section called fFastTravelSpeedMult that is overriding the Catherdal Weathers value making it 3.4 instead of 3.6

The odd thing is that the value has different addresses for each ESP

Catherdal Weathers:  fFastTravelSpeedMult [GMST:11127788]

My patch:                 fFastTravelSpeedMult [GMST:1C00AF64]

whereas other game settings overrides have consistent addresses for the variables they affect.

The mismatch looked suspicious. Sure enough when I deleted this record from my new patch file I was finally able to run "Clean Masters" and get rid of the reference to the original patch file.

YAY!

Not sure what was happening there or if it was intentional on the part of the authors? But somehow it hid a hanging reference to a master that didn't need to be there.

Ah! I figured it out. But the circumstances are still ... odd.

There is a game setting copied over from the original STEP patch file in the Game Settings section called fFastTravelSpeedMult that is overriding the Catherdal Weathers value making it 3.4 instead of 3.6

The odd thing is that the value has different addresses for each ESP

Catherdal Weathers:  fFastTravelSpeedMult [GMST:11127788]

My patch:                 fFastTravelSpeedMult [GMST:1C00AF64]

whereas other game settings overrides have consistent addresses for the variables they affect.

The mismatch looked suspicious. Sure enough when I deleted this record from my new patch file I was finally able to run "Clean Masters" and get rid of the reference to the original patch file.

YAY!

Not sure what was happening there or if it was intentional on the part of the authors? But somehow it hid a hanging reference to a master that didn't need to be there.

They're suppose to be different. The STEP Patch has created the fFastTravelSpeedMult edit from scratch using the CK so it has whatever ID the CK assigned to it.