xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

I followed the main posts instructions with this one.

Few queries:

1. How do I get the terrain lods to look exactly like the loaded cell lods? https://imgur.com/a/fbtAeq8

2. Is there a way to eliminate the brightness of the rock in the first picture to better fit its surroundings?

I also made sure to turn off Tamriel Terrain. Here's logs if that helps: https://easyupload.io/m/pefxye

Edited by mattski123

12 hours ago, mattski123 said:

I followed the main posts instructions with this one.

Few queries:

1. How do I get the terrain lods to look exactly like the loaded cell lods? https://imgur.com/a/fbtAeq8

2. Is there a way to eliminate the brightness of the rock in the first picture to better fit its surroundings?

I also made sure to turn off Tamriel Terrain. Here's logs if that helps: https://easyupload.io/m/pefxye

1. Terrain is the ground. To see it, turn all grass off with tg in console. The terrain LOD generated by xLODGen matches full terrain automatically. Terrain LOD meshes quality of 0 match the full terrain heightmap with zero height differences. Terrain LOD textures are generated exactly the same as in the loaded cells from the full terrain textures without changing them as long as brightness/contrast/gamma are left default. Check Bake normal maps so the the normal map terrain LOD textures match the normal map of the full terrain textures. Increase texture resolution if desired. Since the "improved" snow shader is not available for LOD and the noise.dds is only overlayed in the LOD area, those two typically account for differences in brightness between full and LOD terrain. Disable improved snow and use a better balanced noise dds as explained in the first post and subsequent discussions. Read the included documentation and also pay attention to log messages. The log you uploaded shows that no terrain LOD textures were generated and why.

2. Use DynDOLOD for tree and object LOD.

22 hours ago, sheson said:

1. Terrain is the ground. To see it, turn all grass off with tg in console. The terrain LOD generated by xLODGen matches full terrain automatically. Terrain LOD meshes quality of 0 match the full terrain heightmap with zero height differences. Terrain LOD textures are generated exactly the same as in the loaded cells from the full terrain textures without changing them as long as brightness/contrast/gamma are left default. Check Bake normal maps so the the normal map terrain LOD textures match the normal map of the full terrain textures. Increase texture resolution if desired. Since the "improved" snow shader is not available for LOD and the noise.dds is only overlayed in the LOD area, those two typically account for differences in brightness between full and LOD terrain. Disable improved snow and use a better balanced noise dds as explained in the first post and subsequent discussions. Read the included documentation and also pay attention to log messages. The log you uploaded shows that no terrain LOD textures were generated and why.

2. Use DynDOLOD for tree and object LOD.

Thank you! I read both logs, and couldn't find the lines you said mentioned what was not allowing the terrain LODs to generate. Also, the noise.dds from Rigmor of Cyrodiil - Reboot should be enough in terms of the noise, right? Or do I need to use one of the 3 mentioned noise files? Because, it seems the HD  Terrain Noise overwrites the Rigmor one. Or vice versa.

2 hours ago, mattski123 said:

Thank you! I read both logs, and couldn't find the lines you said mentioned what was not allowing the terrain LODs to generate. Also, the noise.dds from Rigmor of Cyrodiil - Reboot should be enough in terms of the noise, right? Or do I need to use one of the 3 mentioned noise files? Because, it seems the HD  Terrain Noise overwrites the Rigmor one. Or vice versa.

<Notice: Skipping chunk 32 [-64,-64] because file already exists: d:\mods\mod packs\xlodgen\terrain_output\textures\terrain\tamriel\tamriel.32.-64.-64.dds>

From Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt:
If terrain LOD textures already exist in the output folder, their generation will be skipped.

Use a noise.dds from whatever source that doesn't darken or brighten the terrain LOD artificially so that brightness/contrast/gamma do not need adjusting and that fits your taste.

My bad >.> left it on. Also, how do I remove these nasty shadows? Kl8lqaR.png Also, I highly recommend using Perfect Terrain LODs noise as one of the main options, as the other noise files for me made my terrain a bit "wonky" for lack of a better term.

Edited by mattski123

48 minutes ago, mattski123 said:

My bad >.> left it on. Also, how do I remove these nasty shadows? Kl8lqaR.png 

LOD does not cast or receive shadow. LOD generation does not change the shadow system.

It is unclear what has been circled and if it is in the loaded cells or the LOD area.

There was an issue with the guide in that it inadvertently indicated both SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm and SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm should be present and active when doing LOD generation. The guide has been revised and now indicates only SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm should be used.

I used SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm when I did my LOD generation and haven't started playing yet. Should I redo the LOD generation with SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm?

1 hour ago, alphaniner said:

There was an issue with the guide in that it inadvertently indicated both SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm and SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm should be present and active when doing LOD generation. The guide has been revised and now indicates only SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm should be used.

I used SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm when I did my LOD generation and haven't started playing yet. Should I redo the LOD generation with SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm?

This is the support thread for the tool itself, not any modding guides.

Which plugin to use is up to user preference. You can just generate terrain meshes for Tamriel  with SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm pretty quick to get the extended ocean. It's not going to change any terrain textures compared to one generated with  SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, sheson said:

This is the support thread for the tool itself, not any modding guides.

Which plugin to use is up to user preference. You can just generate terrain meshes for Tamriel  with SSE-Terrain-Tamriel-Extend.esm pretty quick to get the extended ocean. It's not going to change any terrain textures compared to one generated with  SSE-Terrain-Tamriel.esm.

Sorry for the confusion. I only mentioned the guide to explain the situation. I wasn't trying to get any feedback about it.

Thanks for the tip.

I ran into a small issue generating terrain LOD meshes for FO4 using the latest beta 85. The xLODGen output seems to disable LOD water in a specific cell. I know this technically shouldn't be a thing, but toggling the xLODGen output off shows that cells water LOD again. The area I am referring to is under the highway overpass. The LODGen log shows no errors: https://pastebin.com/mXTqLStF

Otvy9l1.png guthGWj.png

Edited by Phlunder

2 hours ago, Phlunder said:

I ran into a small issue generating terrain LOD meshes for FO4 using the latest beta 85. The xLODGen output seems to disable LOD water in a specific cell. I know this technically shouldn't be a thing, but toggling the xLODGen output off shows that cells water LOD again. The area I am referring to is under the highway overpass. The LODGen log shows no errors: https://pastebin.com/mXTqLStF

Otvy9l1.png guthGWj.png

Double check the water record and height for the affected cell in xEdit. Typically LOD generation reflects the data in the load order.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

Double check the water record and height for the affected cell in xEdit. Typically LOD generation reflects the data in the load order.

I had to figure out that I have to disable precombines first to even be able to click any static reference. I think I found the cell, and the issue? It has the data flag No LOD Water in vanilla, for whatever reason. I am not sure how to find the water record in question though.

ZD7LQIg.png

Edit: Removing the No LOD Water flag and regenerating terrain LOD fixed it! Thanks for bringing me on the right track!

Edited by Phlunder

1 hour ago, Phlunder said:

I had to figure out that I have to disable precombines first to even be able to click any static reference. I think I found the cell, and the issue? It has the data flag No LOD Water in vanilla, for whatever reason. I am not sure how to find the water record in question though.

ZD7LQIg.png

Edit: Removing the No LOD Water flag and regenerating terrain LOD fixed it! Thanks for bringing me on the right track!

You can get the current cell coordinates by dividing the player.getpos x|y by 4096.

26 minutes ago, sheson said:

You can get the current cell coordinates by dividing the player.getpos x|y by 4096.

Thanks, I was unaware of that command! I always use DynDOLOD's MCM to figure out my current cell, heh. Thank you for the FO4LODGen Resources by the way, brings sanity to the sometimes messy and unfinished state of the vanilla LOD assets.

Edited by Phlunder

Sheson, I have a problem running xLodgen for FO4. I am using the latest beta 85 and the process suspends in the middle of every run. I tried resuming the process with resource monitor but could not get it to start up again. I copied the log up to the point of suspension. I don't know what is going wrong. My rig is powerful enough to run the process with no problems, I turned off my antivirus for the run also. Every run seems to stall after finishing the LOD levels and when starting terrain LOD meshes.

I don't know what else to do. Is there an archive where I can download a previous version?

xLodgen Log.txt