xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

I couldn't find the answer in Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt or on https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen so asking here. Hopefully it's not a FAQ.

xLODGen mesh generation log line:

Finished LOD level Tamriel.4.-28.80.btr [7733/32]

The first number in [brackets] is the number of triangles generated, but what is the second number? It's always an even number.

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

I couldn't find the answer in Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt or on https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen so asking here. Hopefully it's not a FAQ.

xLODGen mesh generation log line:

Finished LOD level Tamriel.4.-28.80.btr [7733/32]

The first number in [brackets] is the number of triangles generated, but what is the second number? It's always an even number.

Thanks.

For terrain LOD, land / water triangle count.

For object LOD, triangle counts before and after optimizations.

Can't find anything about this online. Using the optimal settings recommended.

Getting this message:
[17:49] Error saving textures x:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim special edition\data\textures\terrain\dlc2solstheimworld\dlc2solstheimworld.4.76.44.dds: Access violation at address 00007FFCBD916F36 in module 'usvfs_x64.dll'. Read of address 000000011A6E0038
Operation aborted

Not sure what to do about this

Very grateful of any support that can be offered

40 minutes ago, Mexay said:

Can't find anything about this online. Using the optimal settings recommended.

Getting this message:
[17:49] Error saving textures x:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim special edition\data\textures\terrain\dlc2solstheimworld\dlc2solstheimworld.4.76.44.dds: Access violation at address 00007FFCBD916F36 in module 'usvfs_x64.dll'. Read of address 000000011A6E0038
Operation aborted

Not sure what to do about this

Very grateful of any support that can be offered

As explained on the first post of this xLODGen terrain LOD beta thread and in the Readme.txt of the download archive:
Always set -o:"c:\OutputPath\" command line argument to change where files are generated to. The default is the game folder which risks replacing existing files and is problematic with mod managers, especially if they use some kind of virtualization. Do not generate into any game or any mod manager folders that are part (direct or indirect) of the virtual file system. Install the output as a mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shied away from using LodGen in the past because I've found it to be quite intimidating and have generally used pre-generated terrain LOD provided by mods or just skipped it altogether.  This is the first time I've decided to take a deep dive and really get it right but have found that just about every resource for information is geared towards MO2 users.  While I do understand that MO2 is the preferred choice of experienced modders, I learned on Vortex and for the time being, I really can't commit to changing but I want to make sure I've set this up correctly before I try to run the program and potentially damage my game.  I'm enclosing a picture of how I've set it up... if someone could either verify that I've done this correctly or point out what I've done wrong, I would really appreciate it.  Also... if I understand correctly, it's better to generate occlusion through LodGen and not through Dyndolod?

Thanks.

edit: I've added the closed quotation to the Command Line...

Screenshot (417).png

Edited by BrotherShamus
  • +1 1

45 minutes ago, BrotherShamus said:

I've shied away from using LodGen in the past because I've found it to be quite intimidating and have generally used pre-generated terrain LOD provided by mods or just skipped it altogether.  This is the first time I've decided to take a deep dive and really get it right but have found that just about every resource for information is geared towards MO2 users.  While I do understand that MO2 is the preferred choice of experienced modders, I learned on Vortex and for the time being, I really can't commit to changing but I want to make sure I've set this up correctly before I try to run the program and potentially damage my game.  I'm enclosing a picture of how I've set it up... if someone could either verify that I've done this correctly or point out what I've done wrong, I would really appreciate it.  Also... if I understand correctly, it's better to generate occlusion through LodGen and not through Dyndolod?

Thanks.

edit: I've added the closed quotation to the Command Line...

Screenshot (417).png

xLODGen is a tool mode of xEdit.

The first post and the readmes included in the download archive are mod manager agnostic. They neither mention MO2 or Vortex by name, since the same instructions apply to any manager or even using none. 

You seem to have a problem with using Vortex. Read its manual/documentation https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Tool_Setup:_xEdit
Use its forum, discord etc. in case of questions how to use it or problems with it.

Command line arguments and Start in are rudimentary OS features that are just replicated in mod managers.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-command-line-arguments-and-how-to-use-them/

All command line arguments need to be in the command line argument field. Separated by space.
All paths need to be enclosed by " at the start and also at the end. 
The start in field expects a path only. It sets "the current folder".  It can not be used for command line arguments.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Occlusion-Data
DynDOLOD offers both options - generate the occlusion data into the DynDOLOD.esp or a separate Occlusion.esp (which is equivalent to using xLODGen) - in the advanced mode options.

I read the two resources you mentioned (as you had previously suggested to someone else in this forum) and understood very little.  I had originally set the Command Line argument as "-sse" but was confused when I came across this in the LODGen page,

In case the used game version uses different paths, use the -m, -p and -d command line arguments to set the INI, plugins.txt and Data paths when starting the tools. For example:

-m:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\"
-p:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\plugins.txt"
-d:"c:\GOG Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\Data\"

So should I change it back to "-sse"?  

5 minutes ago, BrotherShamus said:

I read the two resources you mentioned (as you had previously suggested to someone else in this forum) and understood very little.  I had originally set the Command Line argument as "-sse" but was confused when I came across this in the LODGen page,

In case the used game version uses different paths, use the -m, -p and -d command line arguments to set the INI, plugins.txt and Data paths when starting the tools. For example:

-m:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\"
-p:"c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\plugins.txt"
-d:"c:\GOG Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\Data\"

So should I change it back to "-sse"?  

You do not need the -m command line argument to set the standard INI folder of the game as shown in your screenshot with the missing " at the end. That default INI folder will be found automatically when setting the game mode with the -sse command line argument as explained in the first post and the readmes included in the download archive.

As the quote says, you only need to do that if you have the GOG version installed, which does not use the standard SSE folders.

You need to define the game mode -sse either way or else xEdit/xLODGen will default to FO4.

3 minutes ago, BrotherShamus said:

Thank you for your quick response... I'll make the necessary changes and see if I can't get this to work.

There is an example here https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen#Installation

"C:\Modding\xLODGenx64.exe" -sse -o:"c:\Output\"

Which splits to "C:\Modding\xLODGenx64.exe" for the Target field and -sse -o:"c:\Output\" for the command line field.

Adjust the actual paths as required.

Hi Sheson, I'm reading the Combine Worldspaces for LOD page and it refers to Combine-Worldspaces-Readme.txt in the xLODGen download archive. I re-downloaded the archive here to make sure I have the latest verion but I couldn't find that readme file in the archive. Is it included just recently? The invite link to Discord is expired so I can't check in Discord channel to see if there is any new version. May I ask how could I get this file? Thank you!

• sheson changed the title to xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 100 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE
17 minutes ago, darkrain261 said:

Hi Sheson, I'm reading the Combine Worldspaces for LOD page and it refers to Combine-Worldspaces-Readme.txt in the xLODGen download archive. I re-downloaded the archive here to make sure I have the latest verion but I couldn't find that readme file in the archive. Is it included just recently? The invite link to Discord is expired so I can't check in Discord channel to see if there is any new version. May I ask how could I get this file? Thank you!

Looks like I forgot to hit save to actually update the first post. Links updated.

• sheson changed the title to xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 101 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE
  • 2 weeks later...

xLODGen b101 Combine Worldspaces

I'd like to try the provided Tamriel_Combine.ini to put Solstheim LOD in Tamriel. Before I do, I have a one question.

[DLC2SolstheimWorld]

(... stuff omitted for brevity ...)

; Always replace existing cell/land data for terrain LOD inside these cell coordinates of the destination worldspace
ForceSouth=37
ForceWest=50
ForceNorth=63
ForceEast=76

I understand the above settings are going to place Solstheim in the upper right corner of Tamriel in a rectangle bounded by cell 50,37 to cell 76,63. That's not very far from the Tamriel coast, but there is a lot of water around Solstheim so the island would appear farther.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Combine-Worldspaces-for-LOD

This feature is mainly intended to be able to generate a large map of combined worldspaces, which are all in "Tamriel" but are separated because of engine limitations.

I don't use a satellite view map, I use a paper map of Tamiel instead. I don't generate object LOD Level 32. So this feature would not be useful to me.

I'm wondering if the Solstheim LOD would still be a visually useful addition when viewed from the Tamriel "overworld". Could you give a rough idea of what kinds of detail are visible from the College of Winterhold, for example? 

I could try it and see for myself of course, but I thought I could ask first.

PS: More than one question, actually. Are there any plans to do the counterpart, that is combine a part of Tamriel LOD into Solstheim? I guess this would require extending the Solstheim worldspace similar to Tamriel-Extend as vanilla Solstheim is too small?

Thanks.

Edited by Mousetick