Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Just a heads up to folks because I feel it might be helpful to share, and YMMV: I am 90% confident that I was able to track down and resolve my last inexplicable but consistently reproducible crashes to XP32 version 4.32.  After hours of troubleshooting systematically toggling different mods, going in and out of MCM menus, starting and stopping quests in the console, the works (going back to saves where I had ironclad 'guaranteed to crash' instances on standby)

I worked my way through and had found interspersed mentions from people indicating XP32 crashes in some scenarios.  I got a realtime papyrus log going on a second monitor, and stressed tested the daylights out of it--and over time, identified that for whatever reason, the XP32 scripts in the most recent version were log-jamming things. 

I rolled back my XP32 version to 4.20, which I had also seen folks indicate for stability--then cleared out the orphaned XP32 4.32 scripts from the save, fired it up and... voila.  No CTDs in any of the circumstances I was able to get them to reliably and consistently occur, no matter what mod or MCM configurations I had done, with the -sole- change being rolling XP32 to the earlier version.

IMHO, it might be worth considering recommending 4.20 over 4.32 in the guide for safety sake--and independent of this I have generally been able to play for hours at a stretch without issues--but if there's anyone out there still having grief from hard to pin down crashes, I felt it might be helpful to share my findings in this regard.

what did you do to test this? Also, were you using Styles? Also rolling Back to v4.20 has been suggested a few just not got around to looking into it sorry been a busy girl sort out SMASH oddities with the DEV Team

Not using styles, or really anything from the extra sub-menus from RaceMenu.  Most of what I was trying to chase down was CTDs that happened after using soap for Keep it Clean--inconsistent when it occurs, but consistently repeatable when it does occur.  I have a small number of mods beyond the guide and systematically worked through disabling / shutting down all of them to see if it would stop the CTD when it was repeatable--and the only thing that actually halted the CTDs turned out to be rolling back the XP32 version / clearing its scripts out of a save. 

I am still proceeding with my live saves with 4.32 since I'd rather not perform script surgery on an actual playthrough, it was largely for testing purposes for future playthroughs / trying to satisfy figuring out what the blazes was giving me such grief.  It's one of the only things that zings me with CTDs with the guide setup.

I used a realtime papyrus log on a second monitor in addition to working through the mods, halting quests, shutting things down and toggling things through MCM, etc.  That was after spending a couple of hours trying more benign troubleshooting, such as switching around or removing all gear beforehand or experimenting with setting my carry weight high in case if it was some weird overencumbered + removing backpack behavior etc. 

Even with all that, I'm not 100% sold on it being XP32 in and of itself, but it's the only direct change I've been able to do that tangibly halted the repeatable CTD scenarios for me so far.

Hey guys, just finished (took like 2 weeks LOL), to get through installing all the mods (with various tweaks and replacements, deletes, etc.), I've completed the Merge Plugins section, LOOT (groups and load afters) and SSEEdit sort masters section.  Before I continued, I noticed some errors in LOOT, just wanted to clarify these are all ok, and I haven't maybe missed a step, although I've been over this like 3 times now.

LegacyofTheDragonBorn.esm

"..please make sure you have installed the Better Skill and Quest Books Name SE patch"

"..please make sure you have installed the MorrowLoot Ultimate patch"

BSHeartland.esm

"you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: Ordinator Beyond Skyrim Bruma Patch"

Cutting Room Floor.esp

"you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: RSChildren - CRF Patch"

Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim.esp
SSEEdit found 20 ITM records. A cleaning guide is available here.  - Should I clean this??

imp_helm_legend.esp
This mod has certain conflicts with "MLU.esp". Consider using the MLU - Improved Closefaced Helmets patch.

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
This plugin is incompatible with "Dawnstar.esp", but both are present.  - I did see reference that this ok on a forum search

Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
You seem to be using Cutting Room Floor, but you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: RDO - CRF and USSEP Patches Final

You seem to be using Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch, but you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: RDO - CRF and USSEP Patches Final

This plugin is incompatible with "AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp", but both are present.  - Is this ok?  Did I miss a step?

Convenient Horses.esp
SSEEdit found 4 ITM records. A cleaning guide is available here.  - Should I clean??

I did search on a few of these and didn't find anything.  If it's in here please feel free to just say "search again!"  

Thanks in advance! and, again, Thank you so much!  I can't imagine how much time and effort has gone into making this guide!

Hey guys, just finished (took like 2 weeks LOL), to get through installing all the mods (with various tweaks and replacements, deletes, etc.), I've completed the Merge Plugins section, LOOT (groups and load afters) and SSEEdit sort masters section.  Before I continued, I noticed some errors in LOOT, just wanted to clarify these are all ok, and I haven't maybe missed a step, although I've been over this like 3 times now.

LegacyofTheDragonBorn.esm

"..please make sure you have installed the Better Skill and Quest Books Name SE patch"

"..please make sure you have installed the MorrowLoot Ultimate patch"

BSHeartland.esm

"you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: Ordinator Beyond Skyrim Bruma Patch"

Cutting Room Floor.esp

"you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: RSChildren - CRF Patch"

Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim.esp
SSEEdit found 20 ITM records. A cleaning guide is available here.  - Should I clean this??

imp_helm_legend.esp
This mod has certain conflicts with "MLU.esp". Consider using the MLU - Improved Closefaced Helmets patch.

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
This plugin is incompatible with "Dawnstar.esp", but both are present.  - I did see reference that this ok on a forum search

Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
You seem to be using Cutting Room Floor, but you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: RDO - CRF and USSEP Patches Final

You seem to be using Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch, but you haven't enabled the patch for this plugin: RDO - CRF and USSEP Patches Final

This plugin is incompatible with "AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp", but both are present.  - Is this ok?  Did I miss a step?

Convenient Horses.esp
SSEEdit found 4 ITM records. A cleaning guide is available here.  - Should I clean??

I did search on a few of these and didn't find anything.  If it's in here please feel free to just say "search again!"  

Thanks in advance! and, again, Thank you so much!  I can't imagine how much time and effort has gone into making this guide!

most of what LOOT Moaning about is cos either the plugin has been merged or I took care of it in the Conflcit Resolutions but LOOT can tell that.  Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim.esp doesn't need cleaning Convenient Horses.esp should be ok too.

Edit: also Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp and Dawnstar.esp are actually OK together so ignore LOOT. RDO and IAFT are ok cos i sorted conflicts

I'm pretty sure at this point it's not XP32 - it's version has not changed from when I did my original build. Something happened in the last guide update that has scrambled something and is causing the ctd based on the actors for that scene loading in - it's very consistent on when it does it. Really, though, aside from mods updated, the only major changes were the shift to Obsidian weathers (and I don't see how that would affect the scripting) and the Relinker for use with the merged mods, which doesn't make sense either. I do carry a few extra mods beyond what is in the guide, but they were all in and working prior to the guide update, so I'm certain it's not them either. Short of rebuilding from scratch (which is honestly not an option with the download limits I have with ComCast), I'm not really sure where to go from here.

What I was doing when I had those ctds was messing with dyndolod, rw2 and the retexture section, not because of the ctds but because I was testing mods and configs. Try Xp32 4.20 as suggested in the posts above. Try disabling dyndolod and the NPC retexture.

... I really don’t understand this conversation, honestly.

In my experience ELFX (without the enhancer) does not significantly impact the level of darkness in the game. That is ELE.

I find the STEP combo of RS + ELE to be a much simpler solution for CR to lighting, and RS seems to have fewer issues than ELE regarding flickering, but I highly doubt you will find the game any ‘brighter’ with this setup.

I also wouldn’t use a brightness toggle in ENB to adjust this, as brightness will affect the entire balance of the image. Instead, I’d toggle ‘ambient lighting interior’ (or whatever it’s called, traveling right now can’t check) I believe under ‘environment’.

I think you have a point here. When I checked ELFX for imagespaces it makes no changes to vanilla, that I know of. ELE, on the other hand, makes extensive changes. Here's an example with one dungeon I really don't like to see pitch dark. See how ELE edits/removes fog and changes both the imagespace and the lighting template for that dungeon:

Mac21OI.png

Now if you look at vanilla (DwarvenImagespace01) and ELE (1ELE_Dungeon_IS) imagespaces:

1iAcVVG.png gIWJetK.png

ELE reduces brightness but I don't know how much of a difference .1 brightness would make. Better look at the lighting templates: vanilla (DLC1ArkngthamzFar) and ELE (ELE_Dark_dwemer_LT):

mSstGPV.png 4dqrwB6.png

Brutal reduction of ambient light, resulting in a pitch black dungeon where only point light sources have any effect. ELFX adds some, which actually helps gameplay but the dramatic scenery of that dungeon is completely lost for the sake of "realism". For gameplay I'd prefer a more sensible approach of tweaking ambient light colors and fogs, but leaving enough that you can actually grasp the size of the cave you're in... Screw realism IMHO. There should be a sweet spot between dark enough to make you feel you're in a dark place and use a torch or night vision to find stuff, detect traps, etc... and enough ambient light to at least see the edges of the space you're in. Otherwise, every dungeon will be the same, crawling in darkness and killing falmer, regardless of whether you're in a narrow tunnel or in a huge cave.

This may be "tweakable" without removing ELE and without making global brightness changes with the ENB or game settings. Many interiors do look just fine with your lighting combo, so for each cell we do want to change, maybe forwarding the original imagespace and/or lighting template or using a different ELE one could do the trick. ELE does offer different templates and not all seem to be the same darkness:

0e6ae782a42ba0073ef4068779a56f7f.png

by forwarding either vanilla imagespace/

Hello, thank you for your guide once again. Everything works great so far. 

Except Relinker. It just doesn't work for some reason. When I launch it - the prompt window appears for a millisecond - and that's it. I have the version v40.

Not sure what to do. Have anyone encountered it? Maybe I've missed something?

I've tried it on both my setups, SE and LE, Relinker 64 and 32 bit - all the same. It is not a huge deal, because DynDOLOD still worked fine. At least AFAICS.

I just wanted to use SPLUFF for my LE installation but it doesn't work either.

Edited by Yamnyak_King

Looks like a reinstall fied that, although i can't really select the bsa to extract i can only select the mod in arhives and extract. Do i have to setup something to be able to select the bsa seperetly? Like it is written in the instructions.

The BSA will now extract. Repeat the above steps for all the BSA's included in this mod.

Hello, thank you for your guide once again. Everything works great so far. 

Except Relinker. It just doesn't work for some reason. When I launch it - the prompt window appears for a millisecond - and that's it. I have the version v40.

Not sure what to do. Have anyone encountered it? Maybe I've missed something?

I've tried it on both my setups, SE and LE, Relinker 64 and 32 bit - all the same. It is not a huge deal, because DynDOLOD still worked fine. At least AFAICS.

I just wanted to use SPLUFF for my LE installation but it doesn't work either.

are you on Windows 10? Have heard Relinker has issued on Windows 10 Since I don't have 10 I can't confirm.

Looks like a reinstall fied that, although i can't really select the bsa to extract i can only select the mod in arhives and extract. Do i have to setup something to be able to select the bsa seperetly? Like it is written in the instructions.

The BSA will now extract. Repeat the above steps for all the BSA's included in this mod.

if MO won't extract juts us Bethesda Archive extractor instead

are you on Windows 10? Have heard Relinker has issued on Windows 10 Since I don't have 10 I can't confirm.

if MO won't extract juts us Bethesda Archive extractor instead

Yes, I have Win10. And it has been updated several times since my previous modding sessions. Relinker and Spluff worked on older versions of Win10 though. Well, I will optimise some mods separately, I guess.  ::):

Thank you! 

Edited by Yamnyak_King

@ Godescalcus - lol I completely disagree with your sensibilities there... I love my dark dungeons, I find them atmospheric and exploring them to be much more fun/tense.  That's a different strokes for different folks sort of thing though.

But yes, really, ELE is the mod that makes things darker.  I wasn't guessing earlier when I said that.  RS + ELFX BOTH make the game a little darker at least in some areas, but they do that only by moving around and sometimes removing light sources.  

Not trying to be a nuisance, just trying to make sure poor Lexy doesn't get convinced to change the lighting in the guide only to find that people still complain about dungeons being too dark. 

• +1 2

Removing ELFX is going to be a bad idea.  As baronaatista said ELE is the darkness culprit.  Some effects that ELFX adds are going to be sorely missed.  We have been using this RS/ELE/ELFX setup since SRLE  why change it now?   This is your guide, Lexy.  Make it the way you want and stop listening to all these people trying to make you change it to "their" game.  If they want a change, let them make it to "their" setup.

Edited by Kneph13
  • +1 1