New Vegas will not launch thru Mod Organizer

jackdaeuble

Question

I'm using this new patcher https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62552/?tab=12&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmodchangelog%2F%3Fid%3D62552%26v%3D&pUp=1

I ran the exe, it patched my game exe, and I can launch the game if I directly launch the exe's from the game folder. However, if I try to launch them via Mod Organizer, I get "FalloutNV.exe has stopped responding". I don't know what the cause of this issue is, and googling the issue has solutions that don't work for me. Anyone got anything?

I would also like to note that I just tested launching thru MO without the patcher installed, and it still did not launch. Gave me the same not responding error as before.

9 answers to this question

Are you sure you are running the patched game executable and not the launcher or NVSE?

I've been using that patcher since Roy first released it and there are no inherent issues with the process, in fact it is noticeably faster on execution and less fiddling in MO to get it set up.

Assuming you are doing things correctly, try a redo of your MO setup. Delete the ModOrganizer.ini and set things up again.

If you wish you can post that ini here first so we can examine it.

Try redoing the INIs in MO. Or deleting the INIs in the documents folder and running from Steam one more time.

I deleted all of the INI's for Mod Organizer, as well as the INI's in my games and the specific profile INI's, and it works. I'm not sure what tweaks I made that caused the issue, but it's resolved. Thank you!

Are you sure you are running the patched game executable and not the launcher or NVSE?

I've been using that patcher since Roy first released it and there are no inherent issues with the process, in fact it is noticeably faster on execution and less fiddling in MO to get it set up.

Assuming you are doing things correctly, try a redo of your MO setup. Delete the ModOrganizer.ini and set things up again.

If you wish you can post that ini here first so we can examine it.

Created an account here just for this problem. I was following Fear and Loathing guide and everything was working until I got to the 4GB patch step. The Nexus link takes you to the deprecated mod so I downloaded the new patcher and ran it. Now the game stops working when I try to launch. I went ahead and downloaded the original 4GB file listed. I can launch the game by double clicking fnv4gb.exe as well as nvse_loader.exe from the root folder but whenever I try to launch them via Mod Organizer the game crashes at launch.

I deleted the FO NV .ini files in My Documents as well as MO .ini and it's still not working. I have Windows 10 which I have read may be an issue. I also already have the ENB wrapper version files version 308 (from classic Skyrim) successfully installed.

Any help is appreciated

Edited by Rescorla

Created an account here just for this problem. I was following Fear and Loathing guide and everything was working until I got to the 4GB patch step. The Nexus link takes you to the deprecated mod so I downloaded the new patcher and ran it. Now the game stops working when I try to launch. I went ahead and downloaded the original 4GB file listed. I can launch the game by double clicking fnv4gb.exe as well as nvse_loader.exe from the root folder but whenever I try to launch them via Mod Organizer the game crashes at launch.

I deleted the FO NV .ini files in My Documents as well as MO .ini and it's still not working. I have Windows 10 which I have read may be an issue. I also already have the ENB wrapper version files version 308 (from classic Skyrim) successfully installed.

Any help is appreciated

If you ran the patcher then the executable that you call needs to be the newly patched exe. DO NOT try and run the NVSE loader or the previously used patch.

FNV4GB.exe, and any files in the 'exes' folder should be removed from your system as they are no longer needed. This means you should also ensure your executables list in MO is pointing to just the game, nothing else.

If you ran the patcher then the executable that you call needs to be the newly patched exe. DO NOT try and run the NVSE loader or the previously used patch.

FNV4GB.exe, and any files in the 'exes' folder should be removed from your system as they are no longer needed. This means you should also ensure your executables list in MO is pointing to just the game, nothing else.

I have run the 4GB patcher and the FalloutNV.exe file is dated yesterday when I ran it.   When I use MO to launch FalloutNV.exe, all I get is a black screen.  I can't even alt-tab or kill the falloutnv.exe in Task Manager.  I have to ctrl-alt-delete and signout of Windows 10 completely in order to get out of the game.   

What happens if you delete the patched game exe and run the unpatched exe from MO?

If you can run the game from that then the patching process is broken, try running the patcher as ADMIN as detailed on the patcher's Nexus page.

If you also go to a black screen with the unpatched exe then the current profile in MO is not loading all the required assets.

What happens if you delete the patched game exe and run the unpatched exe from MO?

If you can run the game from that then the patching process is broken, try running the patcher as ADMIN as detailed on the patcher's Nexus page.

If you also go to a black screen with the unpatched exe then the current profile in MO is not loading all the required assets.

I deleted the patched file and redownloaded from Steam.   Confirmed the game will launch pointing to the default falloutNV.exe with MO.  Ran the 4GB patcher and was able to successfully launch with MO.

No idea what the problem was but it appears to be working now.

Now on to the next step of the guide.

Thanks for your help