Wiki Editors: To do List

TechAngel85

Question

I'm creating this page for the Wiki Editors. We needed a place to compile a list of changes to be made, content to be created, to-dos, updates, etc. I'll update the OP as suggestions are posted, work is in progress, and items are completed.

Needs to be Updated:

• Troubleshooting Guide (Needs to be updated with new advice and old advice that is no longer applies needs to be taken out)
  • Wrye Bash Guide (see the list below)
    • Use the Official ReadMe as a reference
    • Add Color Codes for each tab on Wrye Bash
    • Add in how to create Wizards
    • Needs some less technical information for those users that just want a "quick start" to get up and running
  • xEdit Guide (needs to be completed)
    • How to remove masters from plugins

New Content Suggestions:

• Mod Reviews (place these on the appropriate forum thread please... not the wiki)
  • TES Lore
  • Texture Creation
  • Mesh Improvement
  • Python Scripting
  • NVIDIA Control Panel Guide

Work Completed:

Use custom editing space: (admin...please correct if wrong)
In most cases, it is totally OK to update a live page; however, it can be beneficial if you are working on new content or are completely re-working existing content to do so in your own userspace until the changes or content is ready to be committed to the live wiki. This will keep the STEP users that may be currently using the content from seeing constant changes and may just save them their sanity. ;)

To do this, use the namespace User followed by your username/page. Remember, page names are case sensitive.

For example:
        https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Username/Sandbox
        (clicking will create a "sandbox" page for you to edit on)

• Answers 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Page Tools > Edit Source.

It's the only way I can edit anything, and it gives me access to edit the ENTIRE page.

I tried using the "Edit Form" link once before, but I got confused, so went fishing for a better solution. I just had another look at it now, due to your curiosity, and I think using that might be a little easier for some things hahaha :blush:

Annnnd, trying to use the form just showed me why I moved on from there to the source. I can not edit anything useful (to me) using the forms.

I can edit EVERYTHING on the first 3 tabs, except "Baseline", but nothing on the recommendations tab.

Sooo, either I've been staff since I first signed up, or the permissions are off somewhere. Most likely need to lock standard users out of the "Edit Source" link.

If you do that, there will be MUCH less wiki editing from me, and a LOT more "Hey this part of the wiki is wrong" forum posts! ::D:

Page Tools > Edit Source.

It's the only way I can edit anything, and it gives me access to edit the ENTIRE page.

I tried using the "Edit Form" link once before, but I got confused, so went fishing for a better solution. I just had another look at it now, due to your curiosity, and I think using that might be a little easier for some things hahaha :blush:

Annnnd, trying to use the form just showed me why I moved on from there to the source. I can not edit anything useful (to me) using the forms.

I can edit EVERYTHING on the first 3 tabs, except "Baseline", but nothing on the recommendations tab.

Sooo, either I've been staff since I first signed up, or the permissions are off somewhere. Most likely need to lock standard users out of the "Edit Source" link.

If you do that, there will be MUCH less wiki editing from me, and a LOT more "Hey this part of the wiki is wrong" forum posts! ::D:

There is no way to conditionally limit the Edit Source link. It would be all or nothing affecting all pages which would defeat the purpose for pages without Forms. Even if it doesn't exist, a user could still edit the source directly by specifying the correct attribute in the URL.

That said, all Mod pages should ALWAYS be edited using the Form. Doing otherwise runs the risk of the page becoming corrupted where the Form isn't able to load it. The Mod pages are complex, which is why a Form is used, which also includes logic/rules for ensuring that the Semantic Properties receive the correct information.

The Recommendations tab is only editable by STEP Staff, since as Tech has already mentioned, it directly affects the STEP Guide.

That seems like a double edged sword.

Info needs to be updated...

You cant edit using the form because it is restricted to STEP staff

Don't edit the page unless using the form.

...and repeat, indefinitely

So, I guess the rule is dont edit it unless you are STEP staff.

That is not what I said. Reread my post.

It's not what you said, but it is the logical outcome. Nothing useful can be updated on the mod pages outside the recommendations tab from what I can see.

That's where 99% of the issues are, so that just means they'll all need to be updated by Staff.

I'll simply copy paste the code to a thread, include any corrections that need to be made, and the Staff can paste it into the form when possible.

It's not what you said, but it is the logical outcome. Nothing useful can be updated on the mod pages outside the recommendations tab from what I can see.

That's where 99% of the issues are, so that just means they'll all need to be updated by Staff.

I'll simply copy paste the code to a thread, include any corrections that need to be made, and the Staff can paste it into the form when possible.

If you weren't so new to the community we could see about getting you access but as it is, doing as S4N suggests by posting in a thread is the best solution right now. I love that you're wanting to help and appreciate you taking it upon yourself to do this.

Mod pages are essentially metadata. Ideally there should be nothing to be updated on a Mod page assuming it has had all relevant Mod information added. The Recommendations tab is intended only for the STEP Guide, hence the restriction for editing in the From since any changes will reflect in the Guide after edit. If you are spotting a lot of issues in that tab, I blame Tech. :P

For what it's worth, the Recommendations tab will be going away at some point. Mod pages should be boring in the sense of not needing to be updated often, and specific instructions belong with the Guides (i.e. Packs).

Reasserting what s4n and Tech have stated:

Mod pages --other than creation or edit of the metadata outside of Recommendations-- is STEP Staff territorry, so please post to the Bug Reports Topic if you notice anything that needs updating, and we'll take care of it.

For almost all other wiki pages (aside from those under STEP namespace), everyone should be able to edit anything, but do post a new topic here for separate issues (also use the appropriate topic prefix during topic creation [available in Full Editor only])

We appreciate any and all assistance ;)

I'm assuming that any FOMOD guidelines like the left need to be updated to the one on the right?

Old%20FOMOD_zpswhlrcmdj.pngNew%20FOMOD_zpssx8xkdct.png

If you are willing ... peronally, I find that template exceedingly difficult to use, and there is a ton of unnecessary 'white'space created.

It just seems much easier to use the FOMOD template, and I think it is more readable for all but the most complex, nested FOMODs