MO Limits for files?

disi

Question

I think Mod Organizer hits a limit in how many files or mods it can handle or Skyrim has a limit.

How can I make Skyrim start and load a game in 20min and how do I return to 2min?

Either activate Molag Bals Inferno AND DynDoLOD OR Helveton The Fate of the Mountain AND DynDoLOD OR Molag Bals Inferno AND Helveton The Fate of the Mountain. Running only one of these is fine and I can start Skyrim rather quickly.

If I have this slow loading:

Once I am ingame, it behaves normal and I can enter/leave buildings or fast travel normally in maybe 5-30sec (depends if the textures are cached and the place obviously).

Dying means I have to stop TESV.exe and restart the game because it cannot load the last auto- or quicksave in ~20-30min I once waited.

Monitoring: My VRAM is shown through MSI Afterburner on the screen and for the TESV.exe memory check, I run the Task Manager on the second screen (CPU is max at ~40% during the whole process of loading Skyrim).

If I start Skyrim, then TESV.exe is at

~300MB when it shows the loading screen

~700MB when it shows the menu

Then I load the savegame (not played much 18-19mb):

Only one of those mods + my current load order:

It takes ~1-2min for TESV.exe to go to ~800MB memory and then loads the textures in ~20-30sec, finally brings up the screen in the game at ~900MB.

Two or more of those mods + my current load order:

It can take ~10-20min or more for TESV.exe to crawl to ~900MB memory and then loads the textures in ~20-30sec, finally brings up the screen in the game at ~1000MB.

This is ~100MB more to load, but it takes ten times as long to do so.

I noticed no difference in using BSA or extract them during installation (except for the official ones, that I didn't touch and are preloaded anyway).

As for DynDoLOD, it comes with lots of scripts and tiny files, there is no difference in loading times if I use Low, Medium or High (seems to be the same amount of scripts).

I even removed something as big as Falskaar from the load order, but the problem remains with Molag Bals Inferno and Helveton [and|or] DynDoLOD.

Question: are there limits on how many files MO can handle and is there a way to tune this somehow?

8 answers to this question

This situation you are trying to explain sounds very... odd to me. Maybe try re-explaining?

I think you either installed the Memory Patch wrong, or need to increase the values in order for it to work correctly. Safety Load is a band-aid.

Fact is: Without the Safety Load, I cannot load a save game in a reasonable time (under 4-5min) with a lot of mods, worlds and dynamic distance LOD.

How do you install the memory patch wrong? It is just two lines in the skse.ini (currently):

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

From my observations with Memory Blocks Log, if it goes all the way up to 768MB, the game crashes/freezes instead of creating a new block.

It got me thinking if VFS drasticly slows down at a certain point or something else hits a limit...

p.s. Since yesterday I recreated the whole mod-list, threw everything in that I would be remotely insterested in while staying below 255 plugins, regenerated new LOD for all worlds, created a complete fresh save game (17MB at start), waited for Eternal Darkness to finish its script (hung out for ~1h realtime in a cave).

Loading it with safety load: 5:30min

Loading without safety load: 5:45min

Someone fry me a stork, I cannot reproduce it now with the new save. Still takes very long to load...

loadorder.txt

Edited by disi

I am sorry to blame MO (real fan of it).

A complete remove of DynDoLOD fixes the issue with any other mod constellations. It just has too many scripts to load and the more worlds you build them for the more will run. There were somewhat 200+ active scripts at a time, which all needed to be reinitialized from a serialized state, plus all the variables etc. I guess this just kills the Skyrim engine.

Did you read DoubleYou's last post or just ignore it?

I did read and test it, made no real difference. Hitting the 768MB limit was rare and usually never during loading a game.

My game was too big and I had to get rid of some heavier mods.

Removing Hearthfire helped a lot with the loading times of save games (at least 2min down). For some reason Helveton The Fate of the Mountain is a Hearthfire mod and had to go in the process (so did Immersive Castle Volkihar and Book Covers of Skyrim :( )

Oh wonder, I can now instant enter houses (0.5-1sec loading times) and no crashes whatsoever around Falkreath Hold ^^

With mostly the same mods, minus DynDoLOD, Hearthfire, Immersive Castle Volkihar, Book Covers of Skyrim and Helveton The Fate of the Mountain.

p.s. the initial size of a save game went also down to 12mb.

pps. I am thinking of putting DynDoLOD back in now... as this is a really amazing tool. The trick here is to find a balance and not hit the roof.

Edited by disi