Patching

richardo111

Question

Ok friends. For the last four weeks I have been loading my mod list and trying to chose them the most wisely my knowlege and common sense provides  (of course reading very carefully the mod description and paying special attention to not miss any compatibility patch for any of the mods in the list).

I tried not to "abuse", now i am about 140 plugins and i am done, and now my plan is to merge some of them with the with TES5Edit and the xEdit Script tool

The question is that now i am having some CTD's, sometimes after playing an hour, sometimes earlier, I am conscient i have not made the bashed patch, becose i believe is better to make it after merging mods (correct me if i am wrong) and that could be the cause, i just guess

I read about finding the mod or mods that causes the CTD reading the Papirus log, and there's where I hope you could help me guys. Where is this Papirus log? How can i get it made?

Where i can learn about reading the papirus log?

Many thanks for any help you could give me ::):

8 answers to this question

I don't know a lot about merging plugins, but perhaps I can offer a bit of common sense. You offer a solution in the Bashed Patch. So why not complete merging all the necessary mods, then build the Bashed Patch and see if it works?

• +1 1

You "bit of common sense" is appreciated

However, as evident is it, i would like (as i am willing to spend the time necessary to prepare a smooth gameplay) to see with the Papyrus log, wich mod tent to conflict and maybe change or eliminate that mod

Once I am satisfied, then is when i plan to merge mods and thereafter to bash patch

(In fact i have made a try-out with bash patch and the erratic CTD continues, and put back a whole skyrim installtion folder that i keep gradually growing as a backup)

What i indeed hope for is one of the members here can give me a hint of what to look for in the papyrus log ( i found out how to make it) or a link to read/learn about, advices are also more that welcomed :)

The problem is, that you do not give enough information for anyone to help you. There are many reasons for CTDs. Nothing is said about your system, OS, graphic card (especially memory), your INIs, mods, which mod organizer (what version if using MO), etc. If your whole question is how to turn on logging, follow this. In you Skyrim.ini add:

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

I have not used logging in a while, but if you are using MO, I believe it should be in your overwrite folder.

Sorry, I must have made myself misunderstood, right now I  am not looking for help to single out the CTDs, at least not yet ::): , What I am trying to say, is that i am willing to learn to be able, at least for an extend, to understand or how to read the papyrus logs, if someone here, can give me Any advice of how to learn to single out problems or how to read it porperly, waht to look for in the papyrus log, any kind of help.

This is the help i am talking about, learn to walk, at least for while, before to ask for help, and even maybe helping someone....

Best practices for finding incompatibilities, faulty mods, papyrus reading, etc..

Thanks in any case for help, the .ini entries i got them from goggle but that is part of what i asked, surely, thanks

Edited by richardo111

A point to keep in mind, the Papyrus log isn't a reliable indicator of mods that cause CTDs. That log only handles events that are calling the Papyrus scripting engine inside Skyrim, you could have any number of problematic mods that don't touch that and still get CTDs, or conversely, have a log full of apparent error messages generated by mods but your game functions just fine and you have no CTDs.

Edited by GrantSP

OK, that is a very intersting point and wide oppener about this whole subject of make mods to work with Skyrim and with themselves.

Which procedure you will follow for starters in a, say "not-too-hevily-mooded" game, that time to time, not even at regular times goes CTD, to try to find-out the cause

I wish i could encourage people to say something about in this post, and the question, is not to find-out the cause in "this" particular case, but much more about the actitude in front of it, that's what i would like to learn a bit  ::): ::): .Take notice that this is not for say learned or experienced guys, but for nobbies that want to learn a little step beyond just asking into the forums

Thanks to anyone that could bring any help

Edited by richardo111

Well apart from following guides created by knowledgeable users like the STEP guides, you can examine the mod pages and see what users are reporting about it, any major concerns. The best advice I could give though is to know WHY you want these mods installed. Don't install something just because it is on the best mods list or it sounds like a good idea, know what you want to get from it. Then when another great mod comes along you can see where, if anything, there might be conflict.

Modding your game is not an exact science. Trial and error are your friends. Also know the limitation of your system, what works for some may not work for you. I only have a gaming laptop and can't install a great many wonderful mods because it just can't handle it.

Ok help apreciated

But i don't know if that is the answer i look for

I've reading very carefully and going back countless times to the STEP Core guide, installing many of its mods, not all, but that's all, STEP is very useful, but is just a walk through how how to install a predeterminated bunch of mods (useful is it, because readingcalmly that guide and the posts and questions I learned some useful things)

In the other hand, STEP Core is most of all a hug visual improvement to the game graphics, but for me lacks for what i most crave, gameplay, making the game with more choices, more options and decisions to be made, more posibilities, more things to do, more ways to go, aside of improving key features like game weather/survival and economy.

Thats answers the WHY i want to install a determinated mod, i take my time to install any mod, asking myself if really i want it of if i really gonna have something back from it considering what i like during gamming, I ALWAYS read top to end the description mods and ALWAYS read a buch of the comments in the posts sections (which in occasions has weighed heavily in the final decision of taking the mod or not) and if available, the forums/ forums post too.(and posting often as well in both)

Another thing that answer WHY i take my time making the mod list is because i am deteminated TO NOT install/uninstall/update any mod during the whole game throgh, when done, done. Star a new game.

Trial and error, here is where i am now, and that is the help that kindly ask for, what to do when you got CTD's

What do you, experienced guys do when you start to load your mod list, fire the game and having a CTD, what are your advices/experiences to try to isolate the problem, of course i can always google or read here and there, if one wants, there's infinite readings about any subject nowadays in the net, but this forms all part of it, isn't, asking experienced guys about what they recommend or tend to do.

Thanks for any help, just wanting to learn

PD ::):  About my system, i have had a low/middle end pc, since ever, i remember been more that happy if playing skyrim and getting 12/14 fps, jubilant if getting ANY thing above 15 fps, and I have been playing like that, for years!!!!!  :woot: :woot:

Now finally, after quite a while saving, i got A MACHINE - 5820k- gtx980/4G (single, no need for more) - ROG mobo -  16 /2800 ram - dual SSD, one for system, one Skyrim dedicated...

etc... You surely can see the smile on my face ::):

Now full graphics, 2048/1024 textures, flora overhaul, SMIM, ENB......and very,very few occasions dropping down of 50fps, normally, 60 fps rock-solid almost allways (and not even started to OC)

Edited by richardo111