GeForce GTX 970 specifications

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it's appreciated. Now I just need to come up with the money to upgrade to two 980s or go with single 980 and just have store credit sitting around until next purchase.

Return value: 795.80

980+Tax: 623.49

980x2+Tax: 1246.98

After looking at the current AMD options I decided against, unfortunately. Plus ENB and most games I play currently are very Nvidia centric.

I just happen to be in the market for a new PC right now and I'm not really looking to exceed 1920x1080 just yet. I've looked hard at the GTX970 for my needs but the 3.5 cap(3.5 full speed/.5 reduced) and just the moral of the whole thing(i.e. buying a product from a company like that) has kept me away. So naturally I've decided to "never settle" (lol) and opt for the 290x Lightning. 

For those of you looking for two cards in tandem, maybe the R9-290x2 would suite your needs? And no, I am not an AMD or Intel or Nvidia fan by any means. I'm just a consumer who is on the market for Gaming PC components who is just as frustrated by Nvidia as the rest of you.

Gaming benchmarks I've seen place the R9-290x slightly above the GTX 970 while both of them seem to trade blows. The R9-290x2 seems to top the charts over a single GTX 980 by a long shot, but that would not be the case if you were to run two GTX 980's... actually, that would be just flat out insanity! The world of UHD and/or 4k+ is a very costly one I see, I'll stay under my little bridge for now and wait for the prices to level out. 

Edited by Vexzarium

$800 return value; oh, you SLI'd the 970s! xP That changes things a bit! Though, since you already returned them, it's a moot point.

$623.49 for a single 980? That must be the reference-style card. Better for SLI, I suppose. 'dem blower fans doe!

The quoted price is for the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 with the Windforce3 cooler. I would never buy reference... yikes.

At this point deciding if one 980 is sufficient then SLI later or upgrade to latest single card again when the Ti comes.

What ever you do I suggest you think about going SLI in the long term. When running at resolution 1440p or higher it really make a difference. Probably buy 980 now and wait till it drop to 400$ to get a second one and you'll be good for a year or 2, maybe more.

Also, I would have recommended you to check out for R9 290X in crossfire. But as an owner of two R9 290X, I'll tell you that there's some flaw to having AMD and using ENB.

No depth of field and flickering face when using iTintResolution in skse being the main one.

On the other side, the R9 290X have a lot of horse power and doesn't really overheat that much when playing Skyrim at 60fps. I'm getting around 55-70 Celsius on the VRM at 1175 core. With that said I do have my case open with 3 ghetto fan mounted on the cards and a tabletop fan blowing air directly on the cards :woot:

At 100+ fps however my VRM would reach around 104~ Celsius, which is scary.

Edited by FCqt

Glad it's appreciated. Now I just need to come up with the money to upgrade to two 980s or go with single 980 and just have store credit sitting around until next purchase.

Return value: 795.80

980+Tax: 623.49

980x2+Tax: 1246.98

After looking at the current AMD options I decided against, unfortunately. Plus ENB and most games I play currently are very Nvidia centric.

So store credit is what they are offering, no refund? I seen the Gigabyte G1 cheaper then newegg, if you take into account no tax or shipping. I don't pay tax for ordering from newegg. Based on benchmarks I have seen for the Gigabyte G1 980, a single card beats what you had before you ordered, the MSI 970s.