GeForce GTX 970 specifications

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, I haven't posted here in a while but I am a fairly accomplished lurker.  I too have 2 970's in SLI and I'm in the same dilemma as Neovalen...I also bought them from Newegg and run a 1440p monitor.  All of the benchmarks I looked at when I bought these showed them to be much better at running 1440p than a 980, so I have to wonder if it would be worth the drop in that performance to go down to a 980.  I know some of these games are already maxing out that 4gb, but is a 0.5gb difference really going to matter that much?  I just don't know enough about the real difference there.

I have noticed that running games at 1080p vs 1440p can result in HUGE FPS drops, 40-50 frames sometimes so I am hesitant to try going with a single 980 just for the sake of that 0.5gb.  I could always run at 1080p...HAH yeah right, that isn't going to happen.  That said, The Witcher 3 is going to slay the mightiest of computers I think, but I want to at least have a fighting chance.

This is starting to remind me of when crysis was a thing.... everybody wanted those GTX8800´s so they could run it.. only to find out that they could not even with that! :) 

Increasing resolution is always going to result in huge frame drops. However the raw horse power of two 970 > a single 980 any day of the week. The only issue with the memory is if you (like Neovalen) hate texture popin with a fierce vengence... and also want to run with 4x MSAA, and every high resolution texture known to man. 

As for the witcher 3... you can try to see how well you fare if you max out everything in witcher 2, if that runs to your satisfaction then most likely you will do alright with the 3rd one. Always remember that witcher games have ALWAYS had horrible performance optimization upon release... because they do have their own engine. And I will be really surprised if it is not going to be the case again. 

Heck my GTX 660 cannot even come close to running the witcher 2 at 1440p with DoF´s and motion blur etc on.... and that card came out how much later then the actual game ? But the game still looks really good.. much better then other titles at max. 

Here is how I look at it. I bought these cards in October. Every major release from then until now eats VRAM for breakfast, lunch, and Dinner. I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon with consoles having up to 8gb as well.

A 3.5gb card is going to need to be replaced much sooner than a 4gb card. Additionally when you are pushing the limit stutters occur which means you will always be playing lower texture/aa to get smooth gameplay even if your avg fps is no problem at the higher setting. This is due to the ROP/Cache difference causing frame time variances, SLI makes this even worse.

In the end it's the individuals choice to return or not, I just can't handle the stutters plus the resale is going to be junk. As for what I'm going to do after I get my refund... it's a good question.

With the AMD 300 series and possibly 980Ti / 8gb versions supposedly coming soon I may end up waiting without cards for a month or two. Unfortunately I don't have my old cards to fall back on.

I know Boris has made similar comments both one way and the other before, but it seems that he will be dropping any NVidia-specific optimisations in his ENB in favour of AMD. For those of us with NVidia cards, it would be advisable to retain the last known optimised dll in case of poor performance going forwards.

Link to this proof?

I know he stated a while back he was going to do this but he canned the idea within a couple days. Is he doing another reversal and thinking about AMD again? I only keep up with the release threads on ENB Dev.

With the AMD 300 series and possibly 980Ti / 8gb versions supposedly coming soon I may end up waiting without cards for a month or two. Unfortunately I don't have my old cards to fall back on.

As I see it, you have three choices and none of them are real winners. You can get an R9 290X 8GB today, wait for a 980 with 8GB to be released, or wait for the AMD 300 series to be released in a month or six. The R9 290X and the 980 won't really perform nearly as well as the 970 SLI, and the R9 290X and 980 SLI probably won't be a significant performance increase to justify as an upgrade (although the picture might change if you do get a full refund of both GPUs).

I don't know when the AMD R9 300 series will be release (rumors say possibly March or April but I'm not holding my breath), and I'm sure they'll have an early adopter tax applied for a while.

yNwZ4Bj.gif

Received this from Gigabyte today:

Dear customer,

Thank you for your patience regarding the recent GTX 970 complaint, GIGABYTE is still working with NVIDIA regarding this matter. But we do understand this may be a lengthy process, GIGABTYE has decided to offer a paid upgrade program for customers who are interested in moving up to the GTX 980.

The two model we are offering for the upgrade options are GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD and GV-N980WF3OC-4GD. For customers who are interested in the upgrades, please provide a copy of the original purchase invoice, serial number, shipping information and the model you are interested. Once we received the information we will reply back with a price difference and how to proceed with the upgrade.

Sent mail back to see what the difference they are offering is.

As for Newegg they are still deliberating.

Interesting.  Deliberation must be a very serious matter for Newegg.

Thanks for the replies, I'm afraid that I am very much like Neovalen in this:

Increasing resolution is always going to result in huge frame drops. However the raw horse power of two 970 > a single 980 any day of the week. The only issue with the memory is if you (like Neovalen) hate texture popin with a fierce vengence... and also want to run with 4x MSAA, and every high resolution texture known to man. 

I despise texture pop-in and I'm a high res snob, I admit it.  Maybe I should look into returning mine too, the FPS has been great...but all of those frames are pointless if you are stuttering around, and I have certainly had some of that with Skyrim and even Inquisition (that might be an SLI thing).  My cards are MSI brand so I will see what their policy is.  I wouldn't mind going back to one card for the ease of use.  When/if Newegg decides to finish their extensive deliberation process, would you mind giving us a heads up here on the boards Neovalen?

As always, thanks for the info guys.

Alright, so after receiving a form letter stating the Nvidia propaganda line about how its only 3% less FPS, etc than a 980 i called Newegg back and got told to wait another few days. I sent to Reseller Ratings and wrote a scathing review how Newegg was not helping their customers with the GTX 970 issue when Amazon, Overlockers, and other retailers were accepting the returns. Literally 45 minutes later, I received a phone call about my review and was given a full refund with return shipping label. Amazing what a bad review can get you these days... in any case, need to decide what to do now. Once I send the cards my PC is out of commission until I buy new one(s). Last minute suggestions?

Well, it's probably worth it, if you use your cards' abilities as much as I assume you do (you being such a solid member of the modding community). As such, the only real reason I'd justify taking corrective action for this mem allocation issue is for future-proofing your build, with games eating more and more RAM.
At the same time, games that come out hardly push the limits of current hardware because they were built on last year's model and with the avg consumer (not high-end tweaker) in mind.

I'd personally return my 970 if it had an audible coil whine, but thankfully mine doesn't. I'd also consider going to the 980 if someone offered a discount to compensate for the 970 blunder. You haven't caught wind of a discount have you?

Gigabyte made an offer then went silent mode. So basically I'm getting my money back and will need to pay full price for whatever I go to. I know the 300 series is coming out by end of Q2 2015 but that is the April-June timeframe. Can't be without my PC that long.

That said I really like the green teams proprietary tools like ShadowPlay, etc. Better than AMD.