GeForce GTX 970 specifications

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was your previous card? Curious to see what you upgraded from.

Actually two upgrades. I had an EVGA GTX 680 4GB FTW, that was replaced with my son's hand-me-down EVGA GTX 770 4GB Classified probably about 4 weeks ago. Now the EVGA GTX 980 4GB FTW. The GTX 980, was a hugh upgrade over the previous two cards, at least for Skyrim. Also, note that I need the speed because I am running with nvidia 3D Vision, so I need 120 fps just to see 60 fps. If it wasn't for the 3D Vision the 770 would have been good enough.

EDIT: FYI, using Skyrim Performance Monitor, even with the new card I am frequently going over 3.5 GB VRAM and often close to 4 GB, otherwise if it wasn't for that, I would have bought a GTX 970 and would have been screwed by the card actually only having 3.5 GB VRAM effectively. With some changes I am now getting about 40 fps outdoors and close to 60 fps indoors (keep in mind double that due to 3D Vision) and I am only running at 1080p.

Edited by DanimalTwo

Alright, new card came in the mail and I've put it through it's benchmarking paces... amazing piece of silicon this one. Firestrike Score Updated.

GPU-Z.pngAfterburner.png

Actual boost is an amazing 1567Mhz. Max temperature is 69c on auto fan profile, setting to 60% I can keep it under 65c. I haven't even touched the voltage.

I do think I said something about DoF and blur effects being costly a while back! :) 

Those are just not worth maxing out... even in the witcher two they are just brutal. Mainly because high width blurring cost so much when you increase resolution that it is just too crazy. You can also see that when using ENB in skyrim with the more pretty bokeh DoF´s. Pretty for screenshots.. but brutal on the performance. 

Hmm... In my experience they are o.k.

NLA, Opethfeldt and Lumen DoF costs me around 2-3 FPS at 1600p. I didn't really test the FPS difference in Witcher 2, but I managed to keep 60 FPS with blur and DoF most of the time. The difference between 30 and 60 is hardly noticeable in Witcher 2 with blur imho. The cinematic DoF slowed my system to a crawl though (10-15 FPS), but I think that was due to a bug.

DoF is very scaleable. My own DoF cost less then 1 FPS at 1440p. But it is no where near as pretty as the really fancy ones can be. The main difference is also partly with what you mention. 

Some DoF are for cinematic and screenarchery purposes.. those do not work for playing the game since they will just distract more then add to the gameplay. However they will tend to be a lot more costly. They are however really pretty and really help to guide the focus and make the overall cinematic more epic to watch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...