GeForce GTX 970 specifications

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that Gigabyte or EVGA are the way to go for Nvidia cards. But from what I've heard/seen, EVGA'a are not quiet as good as the Gigabyte cards and the EVGA's are much louder. But I think the Gigabye cards might be a bit longer as well, at least for the Windforce. Sapphire or MSi are the way to go for Radeon cards. But, some say go Sapphire, I prefer the MSi cards for there build quality.

Edited by Vexzarium

Oh man, a nice keyboard with no GPU to use it with?! That is bullocks. On the shipping topic, I'm in the same boat, the rig you see in my "SystemSpecs" was ordered two days ago from two places... Amazon and Newegg. Newegg shipped everything, Mobo, GPU, PSU, RAM, & CPU cooling, and it will be here in a few hours. Amazon is taking their sweet time with the CPU, the case, extra case fans, and the ssd. Those wont be here until Monday-Wednesday! How am I to build my rig without the cpu and case?!

Edited by Vexzarium

Hey, don't take what I said as a jab at EVGA. I'm sure their stuff is great. I suppose I should have clarified that it was just my own opinion and by no means a declaration of superiority. 

Speaking of the devil, my Newegg side just came in ;)

GPU

MOBO

PSU

RAM

CPU-Cooler

Now just have to wait for Amazon's side: Case, the cpu, the ssd, and the extra case fans :(.

And back on topic, my apologies. When I was putting together the parts list for this rig, I was torn between Nvidia and Radeon. And when I was considering Nvidia, both the Gigabyte and EVGA cards were at the top of my list. Sadly, the GTX980 was a bit out of my budget so that left me with the GTX970 and I just couldn't convince myself to jump on it due to the 3.5 soft cap. I'm sure I'll regret it later, hope my first delve into Radeon isn't a disaster.  

Edited by Vexzarium

My 670 cards were EVGA and I liked them, however they don't seem as good this round. I know on launch they had a ton of coil whine problems. Thing that made me choose Gigabyte in the end was the custom pcb and windforce cooler. The evga SC acx2.0 is a reference pcb with custom cooler.

I've seen people get some massive oc out of the giga.

That's what I've heard. I also chose the 290x that I chose do to OC potential(seen a video where a guy got a +1600 mhz on the memory clock) and the custom PCB. The Gigabyte 980 just has a clean quality feel to it. And that backplate is nice. Oh yes, and the "Windforce" light on the side is sharp and can integrate well with most builds. 

Trust me, I was eying that same GPU that you've chosen. But I was on a full system build budget, and I would have had to sacrifice somewhere within my budget to get it. It appeared that I would've had to go with a FX-8320 instead of the i5-4690k. And greatly reduced my case costs and choose one that isn't even fit to supply shelter to a donkey. I also would've had to leave out a cpu cooler and choose a much cheaper PSU. Granted, for that GPU, may have been worth it. But I figured the i5-4690k with the R9 290x Lightning was a better balanced system. The FX-8320 would have likely choked the GTX 980 to death anyway.

You have made a wise GPU choice. I'd be excited to see what your rig could do with two of them...

Edited by Vexzarium