ERROR: Exception: failed to change virtual protection

Banchou

Question

Hello, everyone.

Mod Organizer is not working for me. As far as I know, I have set it up properly. I can run Skyrim from inside MO but no mods are loaded. These lines are at the end of the log file:

ERROR (17:21:40.0731): Exception: failed to change virtual protection
INFO (17:21:40.0773): failed to install hooks

[spoiler=Here is the full log (to keep things simples, trying to load only SkyUI)]-------------------------------
INFO (17:21:40.0720): Windows 6.1 (workstation)
INFO (17:21:40.0720): hook.dll v2.5.1
INFO (17:21:40.0720): Code page: 1252
INFO (17:21:40.0720): injecting to E:Steamsteamappscommonskyrimskse_loader.exe
INFO (17:21:40.0721): using profile Default
INFO (17:21:40.0721): data path is E:Steamsteamappscommonskyrimdata
DEBUG (17:21:40.0727): mods are in "E:SteamsteamappscommonskyrimMod Organizermods"
INFO (17:21:40.0727): using mod "SkyUI"
DEBUG (17:21:40.0730): data path: E:Steamsteamappscommonskyrimdata
INFO (17:21:40.0730): "aaa" maps to "Skyrim - Animations.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0730): "aab" maps to "Skyrim - Interface.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0730): "aac" maps to "Skyrim - Meshes.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0730): "aad" maps to "Skyrim - Misc.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0730): "aae" maps to "Skyrim - Shaders.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0731): "aaf" maps to "Skyrim - Sounds.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0731): "aag" maps to "Skyrim - Textures.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0731): "aah" maps to "Skyrim - Voices.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0731): "aai" maps to "Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0731): "aaj" maps to "Dawnguard.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0731): "aak" maps to "SkyUI.bsa"
INFO (17:21:40.0731): resource list: aaa,aab,aac,aad,aae,aaf,aag,aah,aai,aaj,aak
INFO (17:21:40.0731): working directory: E:Steamsteamappscommonskyrim
ERROR (17:21:40.0731): Exception: failed to change virtual protection
INFO (17:21:40.0773): failed to install hooks
----------- LOG END -----------

I'm running Windows 7 x64. I disabled DEP, UAC and Bitdefender Antivirus, and tried to run MO as administrator to no avail. I searched around for the error but couldn't find anyone experimenting the same issue.

I tested Mod Organizer v1.1.2, v1.2.1, v1.2.2 and v.1.2.4 and I installed it to "E:Mod Organizer" "E:SteamsteamappscommonskyrimMod Organizer"

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Edit: corrected most recent install folder, matching what is in the log.
Edited by Banchou
  • +1 1

15 answers to this question

First thoughts: You say you have Mod Organizer (MO) installed at

I tested Mod Organizer v1.1.2, v1.2.1, v1.2.2 and v.1.2.4 and I installed it to "E:Mod Organizer"

But your log files says it is installed at

DEBUG (17:21:40.0727): mods are in "E:SteamsteamappscommonskyrimMod Organizermods"

Do you have multiple versions of MO installed and are you using the one you think you are?

Sorry for the confusion. I have just one instance of MO installed, but I tested it in both locations. I just copied the content of the "wrong" log. At the moment, the install folder is inside Skyrim's. I'll edit my post so the install folder and the info in the log match.

Thank you.

Hello, guys.

Tannin has replied about my issue at the bug tracker. Here is what he had to say:

This is not an MO issue. What the error message says is that the memory MO hooks into is protected against modification (which is not normally the case and was almost certainly set up by some other application). MO can't work around this, otherwise that protection mechanism wouldn't be very effective... You'll have to figure out which application (or virus) is responsible and deactivate it, otherwise you won't be able to use MO

So, anyone has an idea of what the problem might be? I have already disabled DEP, UAC and my antivirus (Bitdefender). Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• +1 1

Please, I have the exact same issue on a clean install of windows 8.1 (as of yesterday!)

Turned off avira antivirus and comodo firewall, gave the program administrator rights; all to no avail.

[spoiler="There was an error reported recently - No guided fix"]INFO (23:08:00.0572): "abj" maps to "WetandCold.bsa"INFO (23:08:00.0572): resource list: aaa,aab,aac,aad,aae,aaf,aag,aah,aai,aaj,aak,aal,aam,aan,aao,aap,aaq,aar,aas,aat,aau,aav,aaw,aax,aay,aaz,aba,abb,abc,abd,abe,abf,abg,abh,abi,abjINFO (23:08:00.0572): working directory: C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSkyrimDEBUG (23:08:00.0572): hook for CreateProcessA installed at 75C72F0CERROR (23:08:00.0572): Exception: failed to change virtual protection (The parameter is incorrect. [87])INFO (23:08:00.0572): failed to install hooksDEBUG (23:08:00.0574): create process (a) C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSkyrimTESV.exe - null (in null) - hookingDEBUG (23:08:00.0898): hooks removed-------------------------------INFO (23:08:00.0902): Windows 6.2 (workstation)

Edited by champ

Well, the answer is the same: You have some software or virus that actively prevents MO from working, there is nothing anyone can do from our end. You have to find out which software is responsibe and maybe then I can provide a solution.

Tannin, I believe the problem here is related to the BitDefender security software as you suspected.  I had the same problem after updating Bitdefender Total security to 2015 (it seemed fine before this for a long time for some reason). After I uninstalled Bitdefender I was able to properly run LOOT and Skyrim, but the problem returns upon reinstalling Bitdefender.  I still have no idea which aspect of Bitdefender might be blocking MO or how that might be corrected.  Is there any help you can offer to narrow this down?

Unless Bitdefender has an option somewhere to disable this protection this can't be fixed except by uninstalling it.

What happens here is very simple actually: Bitdefender protects the whole process against modification by foreign software. This makes sense in a way since the technique used by MO isn't very different from what rootkits do. Rootkits use api hooks to hide their files, MO uses api hooks to have files show up that are actually somewhere else. Bitdefender tries to protect you from rootkits, MO is collateral damage.

BitDefender does have an option to exclude certain executables or folders from its checking. Documentation for those unsure how to set it up can be found on their website.

Maybe another stickied post on the Nexus, or at least another line to an existing, to say check ALL AV packages for over-zealous activity?

Unless Bitdefender has an option somewhere to disable this protection this can't be fixed except by uninstalling it.

What happens here is very simple actually: Bitdefender protects the whole process against modification by foreign software. This makes sense in a way since the technique used by MO isn't very different from what rootkits do. Rootkits use api hooks to hide their files, MO uses api hooks to have files show up that are actually somewhere else. Bitdefender tries to protect you from rootkits, MO is collateral damage.

Thanks for the help.  I was afraid of that.  I may give tech support a shot, but is there any way to identify which files or memory locations MO affects in this manner in order to narrow it down?

BitDefender does have an option to exclude certain executables or folders from its checking. Documentation for those unsure how to set it up can be found on their website.

Maybe another stickied post on the Nexus, or at least another line to an existing, to say check ALL AV packages for over-zealous activity?

Unfortunatly, the on-access and on-demand exclusions do not seem to resolve this issue.  I have added the entire Mod Organizer folder as well as the individual executables and dlls with no change. 

I didn't have this problem with Bitdefender. Are you using the free version or pro version?

I didn't have this problem until recently, and I think it has to do with my update to the 2015 version of Bitdefender Total Security from 2014.

Edit: I was eventually able to resolve this issue.  Just adding the MO folder to the exclusion ruels is not enough. I also had to add all relevant executables, MO, LOOT, SKSE_loader, etc. to the excluded processes. 

Thank you everyone for your help.

Edited by Galrick12