Sign in to follow this  
Euclydion

DDSOPT Suggestions

A while ago (last year I think), the SR:LE guide contained recommendations for mods that would benefit from using DDSOPT. These have since been removed (due to the constant updating of the guide), and I was wondering if there was a similar recommendation list that could be used when installing SR? 

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, I did a pretty thorough search though ::D: .

Edited by Euclydion

The plan for a long time has been to incorporate the SR:LE mods and mods from other STEP packs into the DDSopt guide section on mods, but this hasn't been finished yet unfortunately. The DDSopt guide does discuss the SR:LE mods that are also in the STEP guide.

Meanwhile, for mods that aren't in the STEP guide what I've been doing is:

- don't optimize mods when the mod author (e.g., Cabal) is known to do sufficient optimization before posting the mod

- optimize mods that have exterior textures (e.g., Falskaar, Wyrnstooth)

- optimize other mods if STEP discussion of the mod suggests optimization is useful, or if the mod has texture sizes larger than can be used in your system.

I've also done optimization of selected mods that have body-related textures but determining when to optimize or not and what parameters to use is harder than for other texture categories.

If there are some specific mods of interest (especially mods with body-related textures), provide a list and we'll see if we can answer the question.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Similar Content

• By jeof96
      Anyway, I'm using a laptop with 1366x768 display and running the game at 1280x720 resolution.

I'm planning to resize them up to 1024x1024 (uncompressed and compressed maps).

Is it safe to do so?
    • By richardo11
      Hei thanks for your work and dedication.

One thing i don't find clear. I suppose that changing in MO to be able to extract .BSA's (which as far i know in my years playing Skyrim many mod authors don't recommend) it is for pass their textures through DDSopt, but being that the case, many other mods, like A Matter of Time for example do not need that (I suppose that because in the guide it is not indicated)

So, my confusion it is that with that setting in MO (extract BSA) every time i install a mod i am asked if i want to extract the bsa, normally i say not to, but i have had a weird problem with a mod that i have not had ever a problem, AMT, the game didn't load it, even with the mod active in both MO panels.

I fiddle with everything to get it work and finally disabling the extractor made it for the game to recognize it.

Now i put back the ability to extract because i am in the Falskaar step, but i wonder if this is going to happen with other mods too, that are not that easy to identify as AMT

Should I extract all the bsa, disregarding if they gonna go through DDSopt or not? Or should I extract only the DDSpot"et" bsa?

Tx
    • By Bircangelo
      Hello everyone.

My question today is about texture optimization for Helgen Reborn.It there a reason for it to be not included in the guide?
      And if all is fine and i can do it , should i do it the same way as Falskaar in SRLE guide?Or any other mods thats mentioned in https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt/Skyrim