How do you melee successfully?

I just installed STEP core (and I'm also using SkyRe), made a new character, and went into Embershard mine. I've decided to go Redguard because playing a mage every single run gets boring...

But the two bandits in the mine somehow block all of my attacks (even when I'm power attacking, and I don't have the stamina to do it over and over and over again), and because there's no combat maneuvers or anything, whenever the AI locks on to me with a power attack, I get hit by a power attack, regardless of if I had my shield up or not. So I lose 25% health per hit, I'm dead in 4 hits, and I can't block because of the aforementioned aimbotting power attacks.

How do you guys win a melee fight? Am I doing something wrong here, or is the only solution to just lower the difficulty? 

Level up doing something else comes to mind. Also especially since you are using SkyRE then you do not just go into embershard at level 1 and expect to win. This is why there normally is a rather high level bandit at the entrance so you can see that when the door guard is like that then the rest are probably worse.

But in general you should spend a bit of time doing some lock picking, crafting etc. to level up before going into any dungeons. Go find some wolves etc to skin.

It's a lot about timing, using your terrain, poisons, potions, scrolls and traps in particular!

You need to develop player skills before you use mods that make gameplay even harder.

In general bad AI is how you win in the first 10 levels and after that another 30 levels the same, if you're using a lot of difficulty enhancing mods...

In general bad AI is how you win in the first 10 levels and after that another 30 levels the same' date=' if you're using a lot of difficulty enhancing mods...[/quote']

This is how I got to lvl 30. Fighting dragons is sometimes just about fleeing and drinking potions until it's stuck behind a tree or something large enough so I can glitch it to death :)

Sometimes my follower have to take all the heat and I stab the bosses in the back. Not a glorious way to fight, but who's laughing when it's over? My character has degraded into a thief vampire as of late, so stabbing people when they least expect it doesn't feel as shameful anymore.

On the other hand timing blocks and watching the enemy seems to be the best way to fight melee vs melee and get out of there reasonably unharmed. Against mages I just hope they stumble over a trap. In a worst case scenario I turn into a vampire lord and suddenly I'm unstoppable - it's way overpowered in my game (as an example I could at lvl 20 clear out every single NPC of Whiterun, including guards, in under ten minutes without batting an eyelid, thats how ridiculous it is).