1 member has voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Opera
    • Other (specify in a post)

I start using Opera a few years ago and just couldn't stop once I found the integrate e-mail and IRC apps, plus the features they came up with. Probably the most innovative browser that ever existed. They recently started using Chromium for their browser because they can't compete on the desktop side, but their mobile browsers are still the best. I actually still have Opera 12.16 installed, but everyday it seems like there are more and more sites that it can't support, so I guess I'll have to update to Opera 17 which is just a different version of Chrome.

Norton is not terrible, it was completely rebuilt a few years ago and is one of the best anti-virus on the market today, nothing like McAfee. Now MSE on the other hand, just like most MS products start out promising and turn into an unsupported messes. Almost no ability to actually remove anything from your computer.

AV-Test.org is the place to check out the best stuff. They go with Bitdefender for paid apps, but if you want something free then Avast or AVG are great. MSE is the baseline so you can see how bad it is.

https://www.av-test.org/en/home/

I know all about Norton's products. 360 started coming out when I worked at Staples and it was the main AV we pushed on customers. Problem is we had a constant supply of business in virus removals (which not done by Staples...it's done via remote support via a third-party...I'm telling you...Staples technicians are monkeys!) from customers who had Norton 360 installed. I'm not trying to start a riot. It's just in my experience McAfee, Norton and Trend Micro are all crap. McAfee being by far the worse of the three. I once had a computer that came to me that was so riddled with spyware that the only logical solution was to wipe the drive and start over. Guess what was installed, running and up-to-date...yep...McAfee.

MSE is NOT recommended for anyone that doesn't know what they're doing on the internet. In fact, I'd only install it on a technician's computer! A technician is going to know enough to stay away from viruses/spyware without really even needing an antivirus. That is why I use it. It provides very minimal protection without causing any system slow-downs. I've ran MSE almost since it's been out and have never had any spyware or viruses on my systems. Again, this is because I know what I'm doing and how to avoid them. I would never recommend MSE for any normal computer user and would never install it on one of my client's systems! It's just my personal choice for minimal protection.

Back on topic...

No one else uses or has used Dolphin on the android?

@Chrome users:

How bad is Chrome's memory usage really? I rarely have fewer than 5 tabs open at once and often more than that. For instance, right now I have 11 tabs opened...though they're not all loaded. One of the features I like about Firefox is able able to have tabs stored and present but not loaded until you click on them. Right now my Firefox is using 770,000K (roughly 750Mbs). This is normal usage for me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use Dolphin, but since I started using Chrome on my desktop, I also use it on mobiles, for convenience, as I have all my bookmarks, history etc. to hand. Dolphin is an excellent mobile browser though and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

: edit :

Ok, 11 random tabs opened in Chrome and I have about 911 MB memory use. Various tabs with flash, movies, graphics, text. All loaded though.

Same with rootsrat: I used Dolphn, but I ended up switching to Chrome.

Also: even through I am a technician, I still would use Avast over MSE (or Windows Defender). Becase, ya never know. If I had money to spend on antivirus programs, I'd get NOD32 or MalwareBytes, but I think I'll stay with (and love) the combo of Avast and TinyWall. (In fact, the only thing MSE/Defender did, really, was flag WeiDU as malware. WeiDU being the main mod installer for Infinity Engine games, and not in any way a piece of malware. Hey, at least it's not McAfee.)

Good read that... I could say the same about avast! I never had anything but trouble with that one!

But well all AV products change every year, so grudges you had years ago does not make sense really.

Only thing I would never take seriously is MSE....it is like on the first page of hacking 101.... make sure MSE cannot see your malware etc.

OnT:

I never have more then 5 tabs up at any one time... I guess I have always closed down tabs after I do not use them any more. Kinda surprisingly neat when it comes to that.

I feel like having to many tabs open at once is a game. Which tiny sliver of a tab is my gmail?

I know that there are a few extensions and that Firefox has a tab group thing, but the old tab stacking on Opera was the best. Can't wait till that is brought back.

I use Cyberfox (though I was using Waterfox) it's a 64-bit feature rich version of FF. Better memory use, a bit faster, and it vhas some nice features such as flushing your ram cache via the menu bar instead of closing the browser, among other things.

I do have Chrome installed but only for when I only need one tab as the memory bloat and all the separate processes get both annoying and taxing (even on my desktop with 16GB of RAM) for my "power-browsing" sessions. It also doesn't play nice with Skyrim (memory hog and process wise) I can't leave it open while I play.

As for my mobile browser... I use Dolphin since Firefox for Android is laughable at best.

As for virus software and all I have several. Commercial scanner and firewall wise (after much testing) I'd have to say I'd trust Kaspersky the most. I also use Malwarebytes Free on every file. Then if I'm feeling paranoid I'll use Ad-Aware and/or Spybot S.A.D.

<--- waits for the day I can switch wholy to Linux ftfw.

(SNIP)

I do have Chrome installed but only for when I only need one tab as the memory bloat and all the separate processes get both annoying and taxing (even on my desktop with 16GB of RAM) for my "power-browsing" sessions. It also doesn't play nice with Skyrim (memory hog and process wise) I can't leave it open while I play.(SNIP)

I have 8GB RAM and I can use Chrome with Skyrim with no problems... I can have multiple tabs open and it all works fine. Interesting how you get different - and worse - results with more RAM :O

The main thing I have against Firefox is pretty much the user interface's rather 3d appearance, if you know what I mean. You see, in Chrome, you get the visual impression that each tab is very thin and it feels like to my hand that I need not work very hard to flip open another tab. In Firefox, however, there is a sense of depth to it which makes me feel like I have to press the mouse button very hard in order to open a new tab. Similarly, this is why I still use Mod Organizer's dark skin instead of the skins I've been playing with, because my skins ironically give Mod Organizer that same depth feeling.

The main thing I have against Firefox is pretty much the user interface's rather 3d appearance' date=' if you know what I mean. You see, in Chrome, you get the visual impression that each tab is very thin and it feels like to my hand that I need not work very hard to flip open another tab. In Firefox, however, there is a sense of depth to it which makes me feel like I have to press the mouse button very hard in order to open a new tab. Similarly, this is why I still use Mod Organizer's dark skin instead of the skins I've been playing with, because my skins ironically give Mod Organizer that same depth feeling.[/quote']

You know... there's a chrome theme for firefox. I used to use it a while back and really liked it.

when your pushing your system for its best performance, im happy staying with the windows 95 look...what is important in any browser is it's performance, it's reliability and navigation... i like maxthon because of its turbo browsing, i hate the download for chrome. i could pull a 100 likes and dislikes about every browser i use. each browser has the same goals they are just layed out different... so while each person is to their own taste one might feel better or easier to use more than others. maybe you like the look or the layout or the features... im still in the experimenting stage for browsers so im keeping track of this post, if a browser should get mentioned that i have not yet tried i will give it a shot and be back to rate how it was for me.

Does anyone here use more than one browser, when im playing online browser games i use rockmelt because it has a lot of features based on online browser gaming... plus a search engine picking up almost all the games you can play without extensive googling.

As shockz says, everyone's answers are going to vary based off their needs. Personally, I prefer a browser that is as much "all-in-one" as it can be for my specific needs. This is the main reason I use Firefox. You can tailor it based on your needs via plugins. The plugins I listed allow me to have a very pleasant and safe browsing experience while still allowing Firefox to be useful for more than one task. Such as being my FTP program and working for web designing purposes. I could integrate more of my programs into it; however, I don't like to load a lot of plugins.