1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Opera
    • Other (specify in a post)

::EDIT by rootsrat::

Original split from Mod Organizer Support forums to discuss which browser do you use and why it's not IE :D

I also included a poll! Multiple answers possible :)

If you want to include any other browsers in the poll let me know and I'll edit it.

-rr-

Original DoubleYou's post:

Internet Explorer is the Nexus Mod Manager of browsers.

Browsers, you mean?;) -rootsrat-

Fixed ;) -DoubleYou-

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not get this OT. I'll create a separate browser related thread in Banter Inn. Would be quite interesting to see what people use.

Sooo, let me go first.

I use Chrome mainly, due to having Android devices, and also because of profiles functionality - I share a PC with my other half and we both have separate profiles for bookmarks etc.

I'd sometimes switch to FireFox when I'm bored with Chrome :)

I have both Firefox and Chrome installed; however, my main browser is Firefox. I'm planning on testing chrome to see if I would like it and if so, be able to switch to it. Firefox plugins are what make the browser for me. If Chrome doesn't have the plugins then I will not switch. These include:

Super Start - My start screen that holds all my websites

FireFTP - my FTP manager

StumbleUpon - For boredom

AdBlock Plus - to stop all the ads all over the internet

Cookies Manager+ - to have full control over my cookies

Download Statusbar - moves the downloads to the status bar.

Foobar - to combine the address and search bars into one.

HTTPS Everywhere - for security

Firebug - for when I'm doing web design

Used to use firefox... but then it just got bloated and big IE wannabe in my opinion...there was just a lot of stuff I did not need etc. and then I tried chrome out, and been using it ever since... it just appeals more to me.

Then again my needs are not big... I do not require all sorts of fancy plugins etc.

I just need my bar with frequent links, and my start page.. then I am happy. Got norton cheap with my Mobo... so using its plugin for all the general security stuff... it is a bit slow at the first page startup of the day, but that is my own fault.

I use FireFox on my desktop... I HATE Chrome, uninstalled after 2 days.

On my Android phone, I use Chrome reluctantly as FireFox for Android is ridiculously bad.

On android I currently use Opera because I prefer a light-weight browser on my phone. I highly prefer Dolphin; however, it's last major release that came with some new fancy features caused me to not be able to use it on my Galaxy S2 for some reason. It just wouldn't work right and I think I might have cried a bit because I love Dolphin for android.

Used to use firefox... but then it just got bloated and big IE wannabe in my opinion...there was just a lot of stuff I did not need etc. and then I tried chrome out, and been using it ever since... it just appeals more to me.

Then again my needs are not big... I do not require all sorts of fancy plugins etc.

I just need my bar with frequent links, and my start page.. then I am happy. Got norton cheap with my Mobo... so using its plugin for all the general security stuff... it is a bit slow at the first page startup of the day, but that is my own fault.

I just choked on my lunch... :sick: Norton is terrible as is Mcafee and Trend Micro. As a computer technician, if a computer came across my path that required virus/spyware cleaning it ALWAYS had one of these three antiviruses installed on it. When I worked for Staples, I died inside when selling computers because I was required to push Norton since Norton and Staples are partnered (Staples tech repair software is provided to the company by Norton...I didn't tell you that! :ninja: You press a few buttons and let it go. A monkey could be a repair tech at Staples!)

I only run Microsoft Security Essentials but I only recommend it for those that know with they're doing as it's a light antivirus. For my clients, I always install Avast! Free Antivirus or the Pro or Internet Security versions if they want to upgrade. In my years of experience this has been the number one antivirus. It's light-weight, has a "gaming mode" feature for when you're gaming and, in all the years that I've been putting it on client systems, I've never had a single one return to me due to virus/spyware issues. For clients who aren't knowledgeable, there is no better antivirus, in my humble opinion. I was surprised to find that even some of my tech books in college claimed the same thing. That just solidified my choice in Avast!.

I start using Opera a few years ago and just couldn't stop once I found the integrate e-mail and IRC apps, plus the features they came up with. Probably the most innovative browser that ever existed. They recently started using Chromium for their browser because they can't compete on the desktop side, but their mobile browsers are still the best. I actually still have Opera 12.16 installed, but everyday it seems like there are more and more sites that it can't support, so I guess I'll have to update to Opera 17 which is just a different version of Chrome.

Norton is not terrible, it was completely rebuilt a few years ago and is one of the best anti-virus on the market today, nothing like McAfee. Now MSE on the other hand, just like most MS products start out promising and turn into an unsupported messes. Almost no ability to actually remove anything from your computer.

AV-Test.org is the place to check out the best stuff. They go with Bitdefender for paid apps, but if you want something free then Avast or AVG are great. MSE is the baseline so you can see how bad it is.

https://www.av-test.org/en/home/

OT, but thanks for the recommendation with avast!, techangel. I'm installing it right now on my laptop as a replacement for MSAV. Also, what would you recommend for firewall software? I'm currently looking at Comondo (which is quite a popular choice) right now, but are there any really good ones (if needed)?

About MSE, yea, it is pretty awful. Looked really good at first, but then it kinda flatlined. I'm also unsure about AVG too - though the detection might be good, the other stuff I feel isn't. I think I'll probally use and love avast! for the future.

As for browsers, I think I may actually look into using Firefox again. I've used Chrome so much that it's become second nature, but because it is such a memory hog, I think I'd like to use Firefox instead. I hate running out of memory just because Chrome and Skyrim are running together.

EDIT: Now that I tried Firefox again... eh, I can't get on with it. It feels too slow - espically when you compare it right up against the very speedy Chrome. I guess I'll just make sure not to open 50 million tabs in Chrome.

EDIT AGAIN: As for the firewall question, I switched to TinyWall, which is effectively a alternate frontend for Windows's built in firewall API (which is actually surprisingly good). I really like it so far - just whitelist the applications you actually use, and let it run. If an application can't access the network, just whitelist that. It's very user friendly, and very effective. And, like the name says, very tiny (the installer is only 1 mb), so there's little overhead.