Introduce Yourself!

deathneko11

Hey Michael. It seems you and I are in a very similar boat. I too am forced to exist on a disability pension with the same reasons as yourself. Damn that black dog that lurks around me all the time!

I truly hope you and your girlfriend have success. My 'baby' is now 23 and will be visiting me in a couple of weeks. She is the one greatest accomplishment of my life.

As to my CivV mods. As mentioned above, they can be found on the CivFanatics website. The active mod is well maintained under the auspices of @Gazebo, a History teacher from Rhode Island. That mod is a dll overhaul called Community Patch. The other is now in a state of decay, now called Communitas Expansion Project and has existed for many years under different names. It wasn't started by me, but the founder and I shared in bringing it up to BNW standards and then enlarged it from there. He and I now rarely visit it and we have left it as open-source on GitHub for all to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I hopped into the IRC to ask a simple question, found you guys to be a lot more friendly than the Nexus chat, and here I am deciding to stay, rebuild my lost modding skills, and return the favor of technical advice.

Glad something like STEP exists!

Glad those weirdos in IRC didn't chase you off.

I love weirdos ^^

hey, blame phazer11...

Hes the trouble maker :P

Ha, that eexplains why I didn't scare you guys away.

@Suraru

Did you get that script issue sorted?

Yeah, I just used SUM instead, worked perfectly.

• 1 month later...

<-- Been playing and modding Skyrim since June 2012 (yes, this is the only game that remained installed ever since I built the PC, as others have came and gone). I am also a mod author, and IRL working as a freelance PC technician for years.

Came here so that I could find valuable information pertinent to stabilizing my installation, and to ensure a proper balance of performance and quality.

BTW, the first post I made was because I read the eye-opening findings about SSME/SKSE 1.7.1 and ENBoost settings.

Hello, the name is Phil. Been a Console Gamer for 20+ Years and finally made the conversion to PC(The "Next Gen" boxes failed to impress me). TES:V Was my all time favorite game on console and naturally had to have it on PC... that and the entire anthology... and TESO.

So getting to the point, STEP has helped me massively in understanding the proper methods to modding TES:V. And I'd like to thank this community for that.

STEP:Core is about as much as my system can handle. But coming from an Xbox 360 copy of TES:V running at Medium-Low, 720p, @ 25fps to a PC copy running Maxed out, 1920x1080, 60fps would have been enough for me... let alone a beautifully modded version of the game @ 45-60fps. I'm not running anything special in the hardware department but this community has allowed me to see this great game in a different light even with basic hardware.

Thanks!

P.S. I should probably admit that I found this while searching for something for TES:V similar to a beautiful overhaul that was done for TES:III. 

Edit: New Custom Rig. So I'll be maxing out all of the glorious mods available to me. ENB's here we come!

Edited by Vexzarium
  • +1 1

Hi all.  I’ve been using the STEP guides to help maintain my game’s stability, looking at things like install order, load order and all that fancy stuff, for about a year or so.  I don’t use the complete STEP package or any of the ancillary packs, but the various guidelines have been extremely helpful.  As a gamer, my foremost concern about a game is balance, and most of the modding for Skyrim (and other games) that I do is all about trying to bring fun, competitive balance to the experience.  For Skyrim and indeed most RPGs, this is a tricky balancing act, and I figured that I might find some answers to my search on here, since it culls a lot of the less stable, less lore-friendly mods that could otherwise dilute my searches. 

I haven’t made any Skyrim mods of my own, but now that I have the Mod Organizer and things are more streamlined, I feel more comfortable with the prospect of doing so.  I actually have quite a few ideas (gameplay fixes, mostly) that I have written down, but that I don’t know how to actually put into coded form.

Welcome, A_Dim_Mismatch, 

There are various authors with different talents that hang around STEP.

Most of the authors don't bite and will probably assist you in making a mod.

I would recommend to do some reading before asking authors because there is some good -and bad- documentation out there, here is a link to the CK wiki.

If you are unsure of who to ask then make a topic or ask one of the Staff and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

I'll ask around if I need any help. I don't think my ideas are too ambitious and the CKwiki has most of the information I've needed up to this point, but if I'm confused on anything, I'll seek answers here. The last thing I want to do is make a mod that doesn't work, or worse, breaks things. I feel for the people who have unstable mods break their stuff, so I'm hoping to avoid that.

'allo folks!

i tend to ramble on in this sort of environment, but i've just re-started the Core STEPs (stubbornly didn't switch from NMM [and didn't start from scratch anyway] the first time, plus i think i got overly ambitious with the ENB tinkering), and i really should get back to poring over the DDSopt guide, so i'll try to make this [relatively] briefish and mostly historical/nostalgic, and rattle off an interminably rambly About-Me later. :turned: 

42 years young, have so far racked up 16 months in my first marriage.  two cats currently, probably a human dependent or two as well in the near future (but not presently financially robust enough, by our reckoning - but in an effort to solve that i'm presently racking up prereqs for, and applying to, an array of medical tech programs, my prior brush with academia having proved to be a non-career-sparking endeavor).  live in Seattle, grew up partially in SE Australia where two of my three parents were raised (stepmother's a Dubliner).  have had the fortune of a fair amount of travel, though not nearly enough (for my taste) to non-English-speaking areas; have briefly studied several languages but only ever achieved anything remotely resembling fluency in the first one.  (in shameful contrast, my sister speaks five or six of the damn things.)

have been a bit of a game junkie more or less always, most intensely with various pen & paper RPGs from about '83 onwards, but also always easily hooked by the electronic modes of entertainment, ever since the Atari 2600, the Commodore 64 (though I only ever owned this Commodore) and the Apple II[+/c/e] (though i've only ever owned PCs, even after the Mac burst onto the scene with Balance of Power and Ancient Art of War...).  oh, and including those massive power-sink quarter-eaters for an unfortunately long money-burning while (the "money's-worth" exception being this), if you've ever heard of or seen a 'video arcade'... hard to believe those things still haven't all been broken down for scrap!

my first memory of a relatively original (i.e. not chess), not-real-time-action computer game was the original Zork, but the first one i had an opportunity to play with any regularity was Ultima III.  dabbled in that episode with mild fascination (and have still never looked into II or I or akalabeth, though i bought those years ago and usually think of myself as a Completionist), but what i really spent major formative time with were IV and V.  so, that Avatar experience in early adolescence kept my expectations as a Main Character player rather rarefied.  what luck that Baldur's Gate came along after Ultima IX was such a horribly mixed bag...

(also, more on-point, i was into Daggerfall and Redguard when each was new, but have otherwise always been late to the Elder Scrolls party - they just made me wait too damn long for Morrowind!  or so i tell myself...)

got my first taste of *onlyne*lyfe* in the mid-'80s with the Citadel BBS phenomenon.  (i also called 'The Library' and 'Eskimo North' on occasion, but it was so big and impersonal i've forgotten what their architectures were.)  actually 'the modeming crowd' proved to be the core of my social awakening (being largely an introvert) - offline, even! - and by the time the Web popped up and the Golden Age of IRC commenced, i was actually spending a lot less time with computers - at least for purposes of communication...  had a resurgence of online socializing via livejournal in the mid-'00s, about the same time i went on a 3-year WoW bender (...i got better!  now i spend the occasional evening on SWtOR, but pretty much only because it's BioWare)...

got my first taste of modding communities by overhearing some scuttlebutt about this crazy genius thing called WeiDU and shortly thereafter stumbling across the Pocket Plane Group in '04.  i fancied at the time that i might get around to actually becoming a glorious Baldur's Gate Modder myself, rather than gleefully lurking, consuming and kibbitzing.  but here it is, over a decade later, and I haven't bashed out a single solitary lick of code for any purpose, let alone for modifying a game i'm still not tired of playing.  been known to help out with beta-testing and copyediting, and actually have the wherewithal for voice-acting (weirdly, haven't yet turned up both in a timely fashion and with adequate equipment where i might be needed for the latter) - but I'm mostly resigned to being a mere 'enthusiast' as I can never seem to muster the time and focus to learn the ropes since finishing BASIC classes back in middle school...  anyway, my second association with a mod comm was also my introduction to the Nexus, for the sake of my DA:O habit...

only started taking my Steam account seriously a couple of years ago (the XCOM reboot was my personal tipping point), finally bought Skyrim a few months ago, and decided to get serious about tweaking/correcting/enhancing it after the first 500 hours (most of those on my 57th level Breton Destruction Thief - yes, I'm sure those are the most original choices you've ever seen :huh: ).  and here we are!  looking forward to inadvertently aggravating someone sooner or later if my wall of text intro hasn't already done so...  cheers!

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

I've lurked the STEP forums and wiki for the past 7 months, but haven't really contributed / posted until recently.  I'm a 29 yr old QA tester from South Florida.  I never really gave Skyrim an honest play-through until 2013, and since then.. I've been engulfed by its scope.  Not only that, but Skyrim also allows me to immerse myself into this "winter wonderland" that Florida, obviously, doesn't offer.

As hundreds (maybe even thousands) have already said, the S.T.E.P. project really enhanced my understanding of modding / mod usage and the keys to make your build as stable as can be.  I still can't imagine how I failed to see how amazing Mod Organizer was until STEP.  From what I've seen already, this forum appears to be a wonderful community.  The fact that a majority of renowned mod authors socialize here solidifies the significance of this place as a tight-knit Skyrim modding social hub.

Thanks all.