Natural Water by Shockz

rootsrat

Was looking for my mod and found my way here haaaay -- hey sparrow you have mail ;) (pss psss whispers) join me, don't quit modding yet. lol

Anyways off to take a look around, this place. looks cool :)

Thanks for posting my work here im happy to see interest :) when i started i wasn't sure if skyrim modding was alive or not. i was a bit late at getting here because i was modding resident evil 4 then, world of wartanks needed a big job.. anyway i hadn't planned to release anything i was just modding it because i like the game.. so started modding and noticed there is life in all the skyrim forums. :) So i went and stuck the natural water up there see what people thought, i looked and saw there was a few water mods out there so didn't know if anyone would have wanted another one or not :)

Shh! Don't tell them! :D It's amazing how people find there way here, I'm sure it's magic. Edit: No wait... Google. Well it's magic to me.

I'm the semi-retired cop of modding Skyrim now, but I will offer up any advice I can. You seem like a great person anyway and I knew you seemed like you had quite a bit of knowledge already. :) Watch out for the idiots in the comment box and you should be fine. Totally troll them like I do. ;)

Thanks!

Thought you guys would like to know that there is now a Mod Authors only forum here on the STEP forums. It's been created as a place that Mod Authors can come together to talk, discuss and corroborate on ideas, thoughts or even mod projects. No one but Mod Authors can access it (well the STEP Team will be able to as well but no normal members). It's a forum just for you authors!

@Shockz,

Message z929669 on Nexus and he'll set you up with a Mod Author Badge and get you access to this forum.

Thank you :) nice to be here. i will find a bit of time to mail and get myself into the mod authors chat.. :) Don't worry bout the negative posts i may get sparrow, haters will hate :) Plus i use to mod world of tanks so im use to it lol :)

I live by the code: if i can just get 1 person who likes my work and uses it then my time and effort has not gone to waste :)

I don't think i will be releasing my texture conversion, would be nice to but too many seam bugs, They also exist on the un-modded version of the game but they blend in better so they are not noticable unless your looking for them...

• 1 month later...

Been making the water in skyrim as realistic as possible, i have a little problem now and i just want your thoughts and feedback.

I'm told by my best friend and my girlfriend that my water now looks too realistic and that i should do a realism texture patch or downgrade my water a bit.

Watch in full 1080p HD.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgVmTm_H86E&feature=youtu.be

Been making the water in skyrim as realistic as possible, i have a little problem now and i just want your thoughts and feedback.

I'm told by my best friend and my girlfriend that my water now looks too realistic and that i should do a realism texture patch or downgrade my water a bit.

Watch in full 1080p HD.

[video=youtube]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgVmTm_H86E&feature=youtu.be

There are two things to keep in mind. Realism and artistic style. Too much of one and the mod is a bust. They have to remain balanced. You can have realism (because I value it very much in Skyrim too) but you have to also stay within the artistic style of the game. Here You have too much realism to the point that the water no longer "fits" in with the rest of the textures around it. You done a very good job on the realism of the water, but remember to stay within some boundaries so that your water doesn't stand out from the rest of the game (in a bad/too photo-realistic kind of way).

I would be interested to see how it looks in various settings around the game. Or have you only still done a small area of the game?

I did most of the water but because my normal maps was too strong and i could not get the sun sparkle to work i started over and this is what i ended up with i watched documentaries for about a month, the documentaries i picked was the ones where i thought there would be lots of water in them, i watched as it reacted to light, i watched its random movements, rivers, lakes, oceans etc.

I even did experiment after finishing in the bath so i could make my water as realistic as possible... now it looks too realistic, looks like i took it out of a film and placed it in skyrim and it makes the land around it look poor. i can take some realism out and save the photorealism for crysis games.

So far on this new version i have the rivers done and the ocean and lakes but it all looks too real so i will have to downgrade it all tomorrow.

Im going to watch my lake for a few hours before i change that, it looks amazing, already spent a lot of time watching with my timescale set to 500 with my lighting mod on. that is also in the video its not ready i have an issue where the fog is too bright.

I decided last night in bed that i will continue the realism water... after i have finished i will copy the files for downloading, release it under photorealistic.

I will then tweak it down and release that under natural water.

Will also make both mods with and without the sun sparkle :)

I now have to get the correct settings back because last night i altered them and did not save a backup... I now know the settings for the water and lighting like the back of my hand, i can even do it without loading up any visuals so it should not be a problem to get similar if not identical settings back.

To quote one of my favorite actors, "Freakin sweet man!" rofl.

Looking forward to playing around with the photorealistic water. I know it's not exactly suitable for in game use but I bet it will make for some very nice screenshots. I can also see it as being useable with the right set of mods, though those kind of mods take a beast system to run with any sort of playability. Once again, very nice for a screenshot profile. Artists will thank you ;)