An idea for a mod management system designed similarly to Gentoo Portage

I just delved into the world of Skyrim modding. After some inconveniences with crashing and discomfort with relying specifically on some guides suggestive of what mods to install based on their standards, I considered that it would perhaps be more efficient to provide enough data to account for all mods to determine compatibility rather than relying on any one or more community or individual set of standards suggestive of what and what not to install. Certainly I still want to check out some mods that are not included in those standards, but due to compatibility concerns, I cannot do so so reliably without knowing what is causing the crash.

As a means of saving time for myself and others and for ease of installation, a package management system designed similarly to Portage seems like something that may be useful.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Does it seem like something worth developing?

For those who are not familiar, or for reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_%28software%29

The general issue comes back to "copyrights" and update issues... any sort of thing that does what you suggest would require constant maintenance, and the acceptable of every mod author that has content included.

The mod scene is in constant flux, and some mods may not be updated every other day, but some are. Also in order to ensure compatiblity one would have to make patches, and sometimes alter the original work which again would also require consent.

As a long time users of Linux (in fact, I'm playing around with a Funtoo virtual machine right now), I am well aware of the vast number of different package management systems. However, I do think that a package management system for the modding community would be VERY hard to maintain, because of the very rapid update rate of the community as a whole. It could be possible, but it would have a very high upkeep.

I agree with you guys about managing the community. You'd basically have to have a community that was dedicated to the upkeep of the community, and I just don't see that there would be a large enough team of people to do that. It's not like a Linux or Document Foundation community in size and scope.