Opulent Outfits: Mage Robes of Winterhold (by babooncru)

MangoMonkey

So, I've recently been helping a lot with this mod by babooncru, which provides 2K re-textures for the College Robes in all varieties. It has unique robes for each school of magic, with a clear sense of progression throughout the vanilla ranks (Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert and Master) along with two varieties of matching hoods and boots for each magic school.

The Replacer version was made to integrate it with Skyrim in the smoothest way possible, giving appropriate robes to only those NPCs who made sense to have it, and with today's update we really think it's in a good position to enhance the vanilla College NPCs without overdoing it. I had a big hand in the replacer version's integration with this update and I took the utmost care to enhance immersion. Anyway, we'd love to be considered for STEP integration and will reply to all suggestions you might have to improve the experience! Thanks for your time - you guys do some great work here.

INSTALLATION: NMM install or zipped file mod manager compatible. Optional manual install of Archmage variations and 1K textures for those who want them.

PURPOSE: separates the College robes with unique textures for each "school" of magic. Common robe textures incoming. Contains a .esp to add matching hoods/boots and include the new items in appropriate vendor lists. Contains no scripts.

A screenshot from the mod page to illustrate:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks for reading!

These are only re-textures, using the vanilla meshes - I also prefer the earlier robes, but that's how it is in the base game. Textures are entirely the work of babooncru, for the record, I only helped with some of the CK work. The mod page contains a few user submitted images with ENBs for in-game reference (I myself use a variation of Bleak ENB, so everything looks toned down to me...)

I never noticed that... Well, then unless you want to make your mod more complicated congratulations on your work so far, it is definitely an improvement over vanilla, even if I think the colors could be a little less saturated to match the rest of Vanilla Skyrim artistically. Keep in mind, that with a post-process injector already saturated colors can get very-much-in-your-face like very fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been using this lately, and I'm not sure that it's suited for STEP. The colours are pretty bright with the vanilla lighting, and some parts of the textures look like they're just solid colour. I've also noticed missing textures, texture sets referring to the wrong textures, and textures using normal maps that don't fit the model.

Honestly, I think I must concede that it is more of a "personal choice" mod as it stands now (it IS pretty bright) and probably not suitable for STEP at this time. I'm working on some reduced-saturation textures with a more vanilla brightness, however, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm surprised to hear about texture problem though, Omolong, not that I doubt your word. Can you give more specific examples so we can attempt to fix them - if not for STEP integration, simply so to keep it improving?

Honestly, I think I must concede that it is more of a "personal choice" mod as it stands now (it IS pretty bright) and probably not suitable for STEP at this time. I'm working on some reduced-saturation textures with a more vanilla brightness, however, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm surprised to hear about texture problem though, Omolong, not that I doubt your word. Can you give more specific examples so we can attempt to fix them - if not for STEP integration, simply so to keep it improving?

The file for the normal map of the Expert/Master robes are missing (file name looks like it should be OMageMale_Neutral_Lvl4_n.dd), and the Adept Conjuration/Destruction/Restoration Robe texture sets list the Alteration normal map instead of the appropriate ones (they all use OMage_Alteration_lvl3_n.dds instead of the ones with the right name). The Adept Robe texture set lists the Adept Restoration Robe texture set instead of the Neutral one (OMage_Restoration_lvl3_d.dds instead of OMage_Neutral_lvl301.dds). A lot of these just look like they weren't spotted when the texture sets for them were made, so they're not that unusual.

With the mismatched normal maps, the Expert robes use the normal map that mirrors the Master robes, which can lead to odd looking lighting in the areas of the Expert textures that differ to the Master ones.

Just a quick post, for anyone interested: v4 is now up, and I've spent several days working over the textures. The "Vanilla Vibrance" pack has edited textures each made alongside some textures of similar colour from the base game (mainly guard armors), so they should fit in much more naturally into the game itself. I use it myself because the base textures were a little bright for my taste - anyone interested can check out some sample shots here with K ENB.

Similarly, all issues Omolong has posted above have now been fixed, except the one issue involving the Expert/Master normal map, which I'm assured was intentional. On which note, serious thanks to Omolong for pointing me to them - stupid oversights on my part.

Just a quick post' date=' for anyone interested: v4 is now up, and I've spent several days working over the textures. The "Vanilla Vibrance" pack has edited textures each made alongside some textures of similar colour from the base game (mainly guard armors), so they should fit in much more naturally into the game itself. I use it myself because the base textures were a little bright for my taste - anyone interested can check out some sample shots here with K ENB.

Similarly, all issues Omolong has posted above have now been fixed, except the one issue involving the Expert/Master normal map, which I'm assured was intentional. On which note, serious thanks to Omolong for pointing me to them - stupid oversights on my part.

Just a little question about the 4.0 update, do I need to keep the esp from 3.6 (replacer version) with the one from 4.0 or should I remove it?

Another question about the USKP patch, do I need to keep the esp from the 4.0 update also?

Ah, nope. Overwrite/replace the 3.6 ESP with the 4.0 one - it was only set up like this to stop users having to re-download the textures. Didn't realise they were named differently, actually, I'll fix that today if it is indeed the case! Yeah, the USKP patch is an extra esp - load the patch just below the main Replacer ESP in your load order. Most of the fixes from USKP were included in the main file, but a couple required that the USKP be set as a master file - I was unwilling to do this to the whole mod, so created a seperate patch for those who use the USKP (which should, y'know, be everyone, but that can never be guaranteed!)

Thx for the reply and clarification :)

I'll test that tonight after work.

Edit: arf... my bad I had a derp moment I mistook the esp from the necromancer addon for the original one from the replacer pack... sigh*

So no confusion, just overwrite, everything is good :D