General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

Is it normal that TESV.exe creates, closes, locks, reads "initweaks.ini" in Mod Organizer's profile folder for ~2 minutes before loading practically anything else? (this from Process Monitor)

TESV.exe memory usage from windows' process manager: quickly climbs to ~50mb, hangs there for a while until it starts slowly to climb and finally it begins to load the game i.e. memory usage starts to climb properly and the main menu is soon shown.

Bugger..

I'll have to cut a serious amount of mods as 3 minutes just feels broken.

Some info regarding this case:

Skyrim Revisited install + a few extras (SkyTweak and some other small mods)

File operations for TESV.exe from pressing "Run" in MO -> main menu to appear: 4 638 368 and it takes 3m7s.

For a clean install (through MO): 238 854 and 21s.

Both with SKSE on.

1m 15s to juggle around with ini files only seems odd to me. Mostly the initweaks.ini (create, query, close, lock, read, unlock, close) and then atleast thousand times (if that's enough) "create" for every esp/esm. For every esm/esm ini CreateFile operation the result is same, "NAME NOT FOUND".

I think it's all due to the fact that MO creates virtual Data folder and It has to be all sorted before Skyrim starts, as opposed to vanilla install, where the Data folder is just a "physical" directory on your hard drive.

Not a big deal though IMO for all the benefits you get from using Mod Organizer...

::EDIT::

Just think how much time you'd need to spend on reinstalling ALL YOUR MODS each time you have to update a mod that sits high in your install order (not load order) and alters some textures... With MO you just reinstall it, and all the file overwrites are handled there on the spot. Without MO - uninstall all the mods, install the update, then reinstall all the mods again.

3 minutes start up time suddenly seems like a good bargain!

The program itself is great, helps alot with conflicting mods and un/installing mods is way faster than with NMM.

It's just the load time that bugs me. I'll try moving MO to SSD, reduce the amount of texture overhauls and see how much that affects load times. Feels like I'm going to have cut down the number of mods in half though.

I have about 250 mods and it's usually maybe ~30 sec start up, if that (on 2nd SSD I got for games). If you have it on a regular HD now, I think moving it would be enough. There's ~312 mods total in SR so I'd think you should see the load time well under a minute.

Are these numbers with Mod Organizer? All mods are on Kingston's 128gb SSD while Win7 and Steam (+skyrim) are on a slighty faster Crucial m4 128gb.

I haven't tried to start the game yet now that I've moved MO's folder into Kingston's SSD and the mod folder is currently in it's default location inside MO folder. I'm currently running DDSOpt on texture overhauls with 1024 as max size.

E: The load time is down to ~1.5mins with Mod Organizer's move to SSD (mods already were there) and running Skyrim Realistic Overhaul through DDSOpt (although I don't believe that affected it at all).

I'd been wanting an SSD for ages so I decided to wait on getting all of the DLC's (until the day before yesterday when I bought the legendary edition). I got two about a 5-7 weeks ago. Two Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB for $340 on Newegg through a promo code and rebate (they were either $219 or $229 each normally) Amazing fast the one in my laptop which is running Windows 8 and my programs (including Skyrim Revisited) loads Skyrim from Mod Organizer in about 15-20 seconds with a full SR install plus some extras.

Now it's time to wait a week or two (unless someone sees a deal) and get a card from EVGA. I'm leaning towards a 670 4GB and I don't think I'd settle for anything less.

Hmm.. I'm wondering what's wrong with my setup..

I could try moving skyrim "physically" to Kingston and link it to steam folder. Perhaps there's something with seperate drives or something.

Btw, are you using 0.12.9 or 0.99 Mod Organizer?