First mod group in SSEEdit, should I include _Resourcepack.esl?

drift123

Question

I'm currently in the process of resolving conflicts in a load order I've created with SSEEdit, I'm following this guide:
The Method | Tome of xEdit (tes5edit.github.io)

It says the "first step" is to create a mod group with Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm, Dragonborn.esm and USSEP.esp. (I've already cleaned the vanilla files that LOOT recommended to clean)

In the version of SSEEDit I'm using, Fish.esm, Survival.esl, Curios.esl, and AdvDSGS.esm are already included in the default mod group before USSEP.esp, so I assume those don't need to be checked for conflicts either?

The default SSEEdit mod group when I launch SSEEdit is:

Spoiler

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

Hearthfires.esm

Dragonborn.esm

Fish.esm

Survival.esl

Curios.esl

AdvDSGS.esm

USSEP.esp

There is one more file before USSEP in my load order named _resourcepack.esl. It isn't included in the default mod group in SSEEdit. Should I create a new mod group and add it right before USSEP as part of the "first" mod group that doesn't need to have conflicts resolved? Like this:

Spoiler

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

Hearthfires.esm

Dragonborn.esm

Fish.esm

Survival.esl

Curios.esl

AdvDSGS.esm

_ResourcePack.esl

USSEP.esp

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, z929669 said:

_ResourcePack.esl is a vanilla file that should be grouped with the CC content and ignored, I think. LOOT sorts it last in the vanilla files.

It has no conflicts so I left it alone. Then the first .esp with conflicts is Landscape and Water Fixes. And there are tons and tons of cell records that conflict with USSEP, primarily the positioning of placed objects. How do you deal with conflicts like these?

5 hours ago, drift123 said:

It has no conflicts so I left it alone. Then the first .esp with conflicts is Landscape and Water Fixes. And there are tons and tons of cell records that conflict with USSEP, primarily the positioning of placed objects. How do you deal with conflicts like these?

I favor the USSEP positions in (most of) these cases. Then you can add SLaWF to a modgroup along with the UPs. I tend to group many files rather than just 1:1 as the method suggests. I also want to see the vanilla-vanilla and vanilla-UP conflicts, so I don't add them to modgroups. Grouping conflicting files like SLaWF-SmoothShores makes more sense. However, I've found it's best for me not to use modgroups, because this obfuscates many upstream conflicts besides Skyrim.esm, and it's a lot of work.

It's instructive to follow the method once strictly and through completion though. You will begin to recognize patterns and eventually stop using the approach as a result.

3 hours ago, z929669 said:

I favor the USSEP positions in (most of) these cases. Then you can add SLaWF to a modgroup along with the UPs. I tend to group many files rather than just 1:1 as the method suggests. I also want to see the vanilla-vanilla and vanilla-UP conflicts, so I don't add them to modgroups. Grouping conflicting files like SLaWF-SmoothShores makes more sense. However, I've found it's best for me not to use modgroups, because this obfuscates many upstream conflicts besides Skyrim.esm, and it's a lot of work.

It's instructive to follow the method once strictly and through completion though. You will begin to recognize patterns and eventually stop using the approach as a result.

The actual conflict resolution seems simple enough to me. The challenge is understanding the meaning of each record and how it will affect in-game experience. Are there any good resources that define the meanings of Skyrim SE records or do you just have to learn through experience?

23 hours ago, drift123 said:

The actual conflict resolution seems simple enough to me. The challenge is understanding the meaning of each record and how it will affect in-game experience. Are there any good resources that define the meanings of Skyrim SE records or do you just have to learn through experience?

The info is scattered. Some is on the USEP wiki, other stuff is on the Nexus wiki. Some stuff is on these forums ... and Google of course. You just need to search wherever you check using terms creatively. The xEdit Discord is a good resource, but Discord is terrible for documentation IMO.