Can't patch file, it doesn't match the expected format

TarkusLover911

Question

I was trying to play skyrim but I accidentally clicked on the steam version because god forbid you want to play the game. So, my game is now on AE. I tried downgrading it to SE using the best of both worlds Unofficial downgrader patch. But, it gave me the error message: Can't patch file, it doesn't match the expected format

could someone please tell me what the hell this means and how I can fix it? I just want to play my favorite game after a long day, is that too much to ask?????????????

2 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, TarkusLover911 said:

I was trying to play skyrim but I accidentally clicked on the steam version because god forbid you want to play the game. So, my game is now on AE. I tried downgrading it to SE using the best of both worlds Unofficial downgrader patch. But, it gave me the error message: Can't patch file, it doesn't match the expected format

could someone please tell me what the hell this means and how I can fix it? I just want to play my favorite game after a long day, is that too much to ask?????????????

Calm Your Titties, oh young Padawan. Since you were updated to the new Skyrim, Skyrim now expects the new ESL file format that was introduced in 1.6.1130, even after downgrading.

Thankfully Nukem made a mod that takes this into account, for people who are using versions up to 1.6.640: Backported ESL Support. Download and install this.