Can't copy as new record for certain items

IDontLikeNexus66

Question

I'm having trouble being able to copy as a new record for certain items in SF1Edit. For example, I need to copy a cell as a new record but only "copy as override" and "deep copy as override" show up. However, when inspecting someone else's mod I noticed that person managed to make a copy of a new record of an existing cell. But I can't seem to do it. Can someone explain this? I noticed with some random static items and other stuff the "copy as new record" option is missing.. but only some.

2 answers to this question

Unless things have dramatically changed in Starfield compared to earlier games, CELL records are unique in their parent worldspace. You can't have more than one copy of any given CELL inside its worldspace. So xEdit doesn't allow you to duplicate.

3 hours ago, IDontLikeNexus66 said:

However, when inspecting someone else's mod I noticed that person managed to make a copy of a new record of an existing cell.

How did you determine that it's "a copy of a new record of an existing cell"? It's probably not what you think it is or it was not created the way you think it was.

I ought to follow up with a more accurate answer:

• xEdit duplicates a record only within the same parent group. For CELL records, it means within the same Block > Sub-Block parent group. The Block > Sub-Block parent group of a CELL record is based on its Form ID. Once a CELL is duplicated, the duplicate record has a new Form ID which may put it into a different Block > Sub-Block parent group. As xEdit only creates duplicates within the same parent group, the operation is not allowed.
  • If the record to be duplicated refers to other records that are not accessible from a destination plugin, the operation is not allowed into that destination plugin. For example: mod A defines a SPEL record that refers to a magic effect MGEF that is also defined by mod A. If mod A cannot be a master of mod B due to load order, it is not possible to duplicate that SPELL record into a new mod B because mod B doesn't have access to the MGEF.
Edited by Mousetick