[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There is a lot more detail coming through on the branches, though more so in the background than the foreground. Rocks in the foreground see very slightly better definition of shadows and edges, but again is most noticeable in the background.

However, I agree with Fri. The hanging moss (or whatever it is) on the tree in the foreground is more detailed in the Vanilla version. Seems odd that detail is gained everywhere else, but lost on that one piece.

detail in the moss will be gained in lower mipmaps as one backs away. That is why you see less difference in trees in the foreground. Ethatron's algorithms affect mips. However, the moss situation is a slightly different issue, and I defer to Ethatron on that one. Seems to me that the gain far outweighs the loss though, and it would also seem that the perceived gain increases proportionally with the demand placed on the GPU in terms of distance detail, shadows and possibly AA and AF (but of the latter two, I am uncertain if there is any basis in theory).

I would wager that it's more a fact that with objects being very close, detail is obviously going to be more apparent in either scenario since they will have more pixels on the screen to define them. This leads to less of a drastic change on close objects. As the object gets further, it becomes harder to represent data with the increasingly reduced amount of pixels available. Increase the data that is available, and those pixels that previously didn't have enough data to render before, now get filled.

AA will affect the render, but it should be far better with the image that has more definition than without as there is more information available.

But in terms of using texture packs (i.e. SRO), does DDSOPT need to be ran on those as well to get the increased definition?

And per the moss, that doesn't make sense. Everything else gains definition whether foreground or background. Why would the moss lose definition in the foreground, but gain it as it fades into the background? That doesn't jive with what is clearly being seen with every other object.

Moss is not defined as foliage in Ethatron's algorithm. That is why he will need to weigh in.

RE SRO. It certainly will not hurt to run on any texture pack now, especially those with foliage. There are some handy new features in the latest ED that optimize the mipmaps in ways that modders are likely not employing. Again, I will let Ethatron elaborate/confirm that.

Well, im going to take the plunge and optimize all my remaining textures (only did 2KHD, SRO, and Vanilla previously). And then let it run while im at the lab. Hopefully this doesn't cause skyrim to implode creating a miniature black hole that wipes my computer out of existence. Will let you know.

Edit: Actually, I have no idea what settings to apply in the new DDSOpt version. Should it be the same as in the wiki guide? Reading back a few pages makes me a bit nervous :P

@MW25:Use the settings in this post ;)

I'm thinking about running it now also, using these settings which of the following files so I still need to mark as ignored? The ones in purple are already covered by the DDSopt.ini file.

landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp.dds

landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcompsnow.dds

landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcompsnowl.dds

textures\clutter\common\hotiron01.dds

textures\black.dds

textures\brightyellow.dds

textures\default_n.dds

textures\defaultdiffuse.dds

textures\defaultwithspec_n.dds

textures\gray.dds

textures\green.dds

textures\greynoise.dds

textures\lightblue.dds

textures\white.dds

textures\white_em.dds

Are all these other files still broken?

With the new version, you shouldn't need to ignore anything but the PNG files in the interface/books directory. I think all fixes have been implemented in the Pre release. The only one I am unsure about is hotiron01. I assume that the issue was related to another texture.

I would say run it without ignoring and report back if any of those textures has any of the old problems. Ethatron would probably like that confirmation, and you can always replace those with the vanilla after the fact if he missed something.

I'll give that a shot... I'm very frustrated atm trying to make bsa files using DDSOpt or BSAOpt though, they both BSOD my computer at random. Sometimes I can make it all the way through, other times it crashes. Error: C0000005 (Access Violation). Sometimes BSOD sometimes just appcrash.

I have no problems just optimizing though. It's only when creating bsa.

I'll give that a shot... I'm very frustrated atm trying to make bsa files using DDSOpt or BSAOpt though, they both BSOD my computer at random. Sometimes I can make it all the way through, other times it crashes. Error: C0000005 (Access Violation). Sometimes BSOD sometimes just appcrash.

I have no problems just optimizing though. It's only when creating bsa.

Sounds like you have a problem related to the compression algorithm. Do you have similar issues when compressing large amounts of data in other ways? Try optimizing to loose files and then compressing to BSA in a second step. Also, be certain that you are using the 8.0 pre release III (that things is smokin fast!)

I'll give that a shot... I'm very frustrated atm trying to make bsa files using DDSOpt or BSAOpt though' date=' they both BSOD my computer at random. Sometimes I can make it all the way through' date=' other times it crashes. Error: C0000005 (Access Violation). Sometimes BSOD sometimes just appcrash.I have no problems just optimizing though. It's only when creating bsa.[/quote'']Sounds like you have a problem related to the compression algorithm. Do you have similar issues when compressing large amounts of data in other ways? Try optimizing to loose files and then compressing to BSA in a second step. Also, be certain that you are using the 8.0 pre release III (that things is smokin fast!)
I tried it both ways... but it actually JUST finished properly (finally) on the 6th attempt. I suspect there may be some sort of array out of bounds error or some such in the compression algorithm but Ethatron will have to check. Depending on where it is in memory it either works ok, crashes, or BSOD.

Now I have a set of three compressed and optimized bsa files, yay! Now to try them out!

For the record though, this computer hasn't had any BSOD's doing anything except for using DDSOpt/BSAOpt... thats why it shocked the heck out of me. It happened using the older BSAOpt/DDSOpt also.

Good to know. I'd be interested in the performance diff on your rig with regard to both VRAM and FPS if you have the time. See the DDSopt guide performance section for a proposed best practice... I also posted it on this thread somewhere I think. It may have also found its way into ME25s notes on mod testing too.

I would add to it that you should test using ultra settings and include some areas with a lot of foliage (Riften aspens and pines of Riverwood are good examples).

EDIT: Found the post I refer to above

Sorry, i have it my notes on the wiki discussion page to add, but not the actual suggestion in full. But it will be in there for sure.

I ran the new DDSOpt last night on all textures apart from the vanilla, SRO, and 2KHD using zmans instructions (thanks!). Had a brief look today at some test areas, and it has worked wonders. THis is more an observation, rather than results from vigorous testing, but it has decreased vram consumption by as much as 20% in some places. I have also gained a few fps, but not much, i think about 3fps or so. But still, this is quite amazing :P Still need to test stability though. Optimization speed is also much faster using the 64bit version.

A issue a noticed is that if you have WATER textures installed they are not optimized properly. Imo its worse afterwards. However, it is mentioned somewhere to leave these alone with the official version (non-pre), which i forgot to do with the pre version.

Ethatron you are wizard :D

Uh oh EDIT: I seem to have left unchecked the Dont process any high dynamic range images and dont process any already processed files. What will be the impact of this, and/ or why did you pick these settings? Should i redo the DDSOpt operation?

Don't process any already processed is fine, that simply tells DDSopt to ignore any already processed files it may have previously touched If you have it checked, it just skips files that will effectively not get any additional changes.

Don't process HDR is another matter. I am not sure what the algorithm is for that, but i assume that any image with high contrast is left alon by default, and I also am not sure which ones Ethatrons is filtering out with that option... I would reprocess though checking both boxes this time. It should go fast.

Also, note what water textures should not be processed and add them to the ini file along with the other water textures in there. DDSopt will handle them properly if you add them to the INI