Consistent Crashing during Grass Precache

11 hours ago, rams1022 said:

It was JK's Skyrim. 

Weird as it worked previously - turns out it conflicts with game settings (INI's) and I had to bring them back to default to solve issue in Markarth World. 

Thanks for the help z929669

Glad it helped.

You might consider using BethINI to sort your game INIs using well-tested settings at various performance presets. Maybe this will resolve with JK's

Beth INI is what caused the problem - i used the standalone with BethINI settings and tweaked option and hit ultra which leads to the setting that conflicts with JK's. I was able to correct it by defaulting them and then running grass precache which fixed the issue

Edited by rams1022

1 hour ago, rams1022 said:

Beth INI is what caused the problem - i used the standalone with BethINI settings and tweaked option and hit ultra which leads to the setting that conflicts with JK's. I was able to correct it by defaulting them and then running grass precache which fixed the issue

Do you happen to know what setting/value caused the issue, or is it only something related to BethINI Ultra preset ... or just something possibly related to any BethINI preset?

I can't say for certain as it tweaks quite a few settings but I can tell you that whatever the setting its tweaking doing skyrim launcher and then hitting ultra (vanilla settings) does not undo the problem. I had to use BethIni to completely default them to get the precache grass to work.

I have also noticed that shadow quality gets messed up (I think related to how its changing and accounting for decals) and I have to adjust it via launcher settings. If I don't get I get very ugly shadows (showing on character arms as dark blotches very obvious when you start game with Alternative Start). I found a thread on here via reddit that pointed to nexus forum where they discuss the settings etc (if you wanted to investigate it further). 

Very weird to me that BethIni causes my game various issues I have to adjust via skyrim launcher or manually to correct (by that I mean I use BethIni Ultra settings, then I have to go into Skyrim launcher to adjust certain values its setting to medium or low THEN I go back into BethIni to manually tweak the fields that skyrim launcher ultra settings do not do as well). It's pretty annoying and I am sure not everything is set optimally with all this jumping back and forth. 

I have RTX 4090 and Intell 13900 so I throwing everything at my computer max settings and discovering this (been modding for years but limited in what i could do until now).

No Grass In Object - Page 89 - File topics - The Nexus Forums (nexusmods.com)

Edited by rams1022

If you are precaching grass cache using 1.5.97.0 runtime using 1.6.x.x assets, there is an INI setting (I think it is the Creation Club one?) that can cause precaching to crash indiscriminately, due to changes in the Skyrim - Interface.bsa. Of course, I am making a lot of assumptions based off the limited information that you have provided.

I am using downgrader patch.

I had already successfully generated grass cache multiple times. I then adjusted my game settings with BethINI ultra settings and tweaked option checked. I was then not able to generate grass cache (it kept crashing in Markarth world in the same spot over and over and over again). I thought it was new mods I had installed (it was not because problem was immediately solved after restoring settings back to default. This exact same thing happened again when I updated my mod list and had to redo grass cache (only this time I knew the solution was to restore settings to default). 

Oh and to be clear its very specifically JK's Skyrim (I turned every mod in my list off and tried to run grass precache and it would crash at that exact same point).

Please let me know what else you would need to know that would be helpful. I only want to make sure everyone knows of this in case they run into it because JK's Skyrim is extremely popular mod and the issue is insanely frustrating (especially if you think it's a mod or load order issue).

Edited by rams1022

A set of ini files that cause the crash, and ones without, would be useful. Also, if you have a copy of the precache.txt file from right before the crash, we can then identify the cell causing the issue.

It is worth noting that realistically, you should be able to remove MarkarthWorld from the list of places to grass cache, as there is no grass in the cell other than beyond the visible regions.

When I run grass script Markarth World shows up to generate grass for. 

Attached are Skyrim Ini's that do not work (Beth InI Ultra + Tweaked Options) with resolution reduced (for ease of grass cache) and then Ini's I use Skyrim Launcher to default for me to get it to work. I did not see a grass crash report you refer to (but I do abort the process as it would continue forever in the same place). Hopefully the files help though.

Skyrim - Do Not work.ini SkyrimPrefs - Do not Work.ini Skyrim - Defaulted.ini SkyrimPrefs - Defaulted.ini

• 3 months later...

The ini settings changes as provided as fixing the crash merely indicated reduced quality settings, so it is likely there is a bug with JK's Skyrim that if a certain item becomes visible causes CTD. If the troublesome portion is in MarkarthWorld, I would recommend disabling grass generation for MarkarthWorld, as it shouldn't have any visible grass.