DynDOLOD & Mountain Mods - Need To Add

Hi,

I've always used Majestic Mountains in SSE, but I've been looking at some other mountain mods to try.

When using MM, in DynDOLOD, am I suppose to right click DynDOLOD and for Mesh/Mask Reference FormID am I suppose to add in a rule for MM? Because I've never done this before.

But now, checking out ERM, it's my understanding you are suppose to do this for ERM?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/88754?tab=description

DynDOLOD Mesh Rules
The recommended DynDOLOD mesh rules are mask=mountain, LOD4/Level0, LOD8/Level0, LOD16/Level1, (LOD32/Level0 if running ACMoS). The performance impact is minimal, regardless.

So under Mesh/Mask I type in Mountain and then add the LOD I want? And is 'Rule added by' left empty?

THANKS

P.S. ERM doesn't mention anything about the DynDOLOD 'Grid' setting, so I'm assuming it's 'None'?

Edited by mooit

46 minutes ago, mooit said:

So under Mesh/Mask I type in Mountain and then add the LOD I want? And is 'Rule added by' left empty?

Yes. The 'Rule added by' field is not editable: you can't type anything there.

Click the Help button for more info.

Beware your custom rules created via the DynDOLOD UI will be lost when quitting unless you save a preset. And even if you reload a previously saved preset, they will be removed upon clicking the Low, Medium or High buttons.

https://dyndolod.info//Help/Advanced-Mode:

Mesh Mask and Reference Rules
The list of currently loaded mesh mask / reference rules.

Mesh mask / reference rules define which LOD models or tree LOD billboards are used for object LOD and dynamic LOD.

To edit, add or delete rules, right click a row.

Use the Save preset and Load preset buttons to save custom rules for later use.

Rules are only updated for the current load order when clicking the Low, Medium or High Preset Buttons, which will replace any custom rules.

1 hour ago, mooit said:

When using MM, in DynDOLOD, am I suppose to right click DynDOLOD and for Mesh/Mask Reference FormID am I suppose to add in a rule for MM? Because I've never done this before.

But now, checking out ERM, it's my understanding you are suppose to do this for ERM?

The recommended rules are just that: "recommended", for best quality/performance ratio. The same rules can be used with the Majestic Mountains DynDOLOD LOD Pack. They're meant to leverage the higher quality, more detailed custom mountain LOD models compared to standard/default LOD models.

They're also meant to be used with the global High DynDOLOD preset. Otherwise you may end up with very detailed mountain LODs but crappy-looking everything else in comparison, which would look weird.

• +1 1

4 hours ago, mooit said:

Do these rules actually need to be added for ERM, or DynDOLOD will automatically take care of it? For MM I've never added any before..

A recommendation is not a requirement. The recommended rules must be added manually, if you wish to use them, because they're not present in DynDOLOD by default. You don't need to add them, they're not necessary for DynDOLOD or the game to function. Without them, DynDOLOD falls back to the default catchall '\' rule (the last one at the bottom of the list). Without them, everything works just as well, though mountain LODs may not look as good as they could when using those DynDOLOD Add-ons. The custom mountain rules affect mountain objects further away in the distance (LOD Level 8, LOD Level 16), not near distant objects (LOD Level 4), so you may not even subjectively notice a difference with/out.

Same goes for MM.

Visual quality recommendation ≠ functional requirement. If you're just evaluating ERM at this point, I'd suggest you test with DynDOLOD without the custom rules, in order to get the basics working correctly first. And so that you can compare apples-to-apples with MM you were using before without custom rules. Then you can worry about the custom rules later.

DynDOLOD presets and all config defaults (including official Resources) pertain to (and are optimized for) vanilla object LODGen.

Recommendations pertain to a modded build or particular mods and are extensions of the vanilla defaults ... and are not 'requirements' as mentioned.