SSE - CTD after character creation

Eccelestis

Question

I am running a modlist based on the STEP guide but with combat overhauls, quest mods, and other tweaks added. After creating my character in Alternate Start, the game crashes within 10 seconds.  I would appreciate some help to determine what the issue might be! Crash log and load order attached.

crash-2023-06-19-23-46-52.log

loadorder.txt

Edited by Eccelestis
added load order

9 answers to this question

I'm seeing what looks mostly like OS-level issues maybe caused by third-party software and nothing that I've typically seen in a crash log. Are you running MO extensions of some kind?

My advice is to disable anything and everything not recommended by our guide and ensure that the Step build is working properly before extending it.

19 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I'm seeing what looks mostly like OS-level issues maybe caused by third-party software and nothing that I've typically seen in a crash log. Are you running MO extensions of some kind?

My advice is to disable anything and everything not recommended by our guide and ensure that the Step build is working properly before extending it.

I'm running Nemesis with more anim replacers, as well as synthesis for Experience patches. Can't think of anything else. Reset BethINI to original setup settings and disabled all the DynDOLOD outputs to no avail.

2 hours ago, Eccelestis said:

I'm running Nemesis with more anim replacers, as well as synthesis for Experience patches. Can't think of anything else. Reset BethINI to original setup settings and disabled all the DynDOLOD outputs to no avail.

Looking at your LO, you have a lot of added stuff. Lots of JK and other stuff. 700+ plugins, so troubleshooting this is best done by reverting back to the Step build only and adding mods strategically after you verify things are working as expected.

Worth noting, while unlikely to be the cause of the crash: you're still using the STEP CR patches with your radically deviated and expanded load order. STEP CR patches, as their name implies, are all-encompassing conflict resolution patches specific to the STEP Guide load order. Without manual verification, they should be considered null and void whenever that load order changes.

The crash log appears to show an issue with a navmesh, specifically a linked door which might not exist or might not be loaded.

There's no way a load order like this is going to work without some serious plugin conflict checking and manual patching in xEdit, as well as asset and script conflict checking and manual prioritization in the mod manager.

Lastly, the crash log lists 237 loaded plugins while the load order lists 750 plugins. That doesn't make sense, to me.

9 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Worth noting, while unlikely to be the cause of the crash: you're still using the STEP CR patches with your radically deviated and expanded load order. STEP CR patches, as their name implies, are all-encompassing conflict resolution patches specific to the STEP Guide load order. Without manual verification, they should be considered null and void whenever that load order changes.

The crash log appears to show an issue with a navmesh, specifically a linked door which might not exist or might not be loaded.

There's no way a load order like this is going to work without some serious plugin conflict checking and manual patching in xEdit, as well as asset and script conflict checking and manual prioritization in the mod manager.

Lastly, the crash log lists 237 loaded plugins while the load order lists 750 plugins. That doesn't make sense, to me.

Understood, thank you. Does it say what the source of that NA mesh might be?

I have a lot of flagged plugins that wouldn't show up on the load order probably, like the JK's overhauls.

41 minutes ago, Eccelestis said:

Does it say what the source of that NA mesh might be?

No. Because of the way navmeshes are processed by the engine and/or limitations of crash loggers. You need to look at navmesh conflicts and check for errors in xEdit.

47 minutes ago, Eccelestis said:

I have a lot of flagged plugins that wouldn't show up on the load order probably, like the JK's overhauls.

I don't know what a 'flagged' plugin means. But never mind, it doesn't matter.