Patch making question

Greetings to all, the other day I ran into a problem with patches, 2 mods Chapter II and Still. So, Chapter II has been updated and in fact the old modded patchmap is still not fully functional. I decided to make a new patch, because there is no fresh patch.

Now the question is, I created a overwrite with the name "Test" on the basis of the Still mod, now, as I understand it, you need to drag each red cell from the Chapter II mod into this "Test" to overwrite the patch?

m39KV1i.png

7 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Yes, if the purpose of the patch is to merge 'Chapter II' and 'Still' tracks into 'Test'. The end result should be that all 3 ('Chapter II', 'Still' and 'Test') column headers are green.

Thank's. So it's the same procedure with another mods ? I mean not only sound mods

22 minutes ago, KaktuZHD said:

So it's the same procedure with another mods ? I mean not only sound mods

Not at all. Your example is the simplest scenario where the goal is to merge the additions of several mods together. That is not always the case. In fact, it's not the common case in my experience.

Each patch is unique based on the mods being patched. What goes into the patch depends on the type of records, what kind of changes each mod makes, and the desired result.

It's not rocket-science but it takes some effort to learn and practice. If you're not making your own patch(es) on a regular basis, it's better to seek out and use already-made patches, made by mod authors or users - though their quality can vary greatly and they can be outdated. Also looking at already-made patches is good way to learn.

You can always ask for help in this forum, preferably with very specific examples like you did above, rather than generic questions that may be too open-ended to answer correctly or briefly.

I think the first obstacle to overcome when making patches is that green does not mean good, red does not mean bad and the goal of making a patch is not to make everything green. In fact, some records will stay red after all conflicts have been resolved appropriately. Use the legend in xEdit to understand the color combinations.