Bethini and benchmarking

Halde

Hi all!

So I'm benchmarking my game atm before postprocessing, running somewhere between 90-130 fps in the exterior worldspace. I've been fiddling around with Bethini, started the first benchmark without changing it from the beginning of the guide. Then I went medium, since i thought fps was a bit low in somewhere. Then to low. As instructed I changed the setting as per the instructions after setting the presets to medium and then low. I couldn't register any change in fps from the high preset to the low preset I ended with, leading me to believe, that I misunderstood the following: Selecting a preset in BethINI makes changes to many settings, so ensure all BethINI settings match those in the instructions, particularly for Basic, Detail, and Visuals tabs

I understand this, that I should, when i hit the "Low" preset, change the mentioned settings back to the instructed settings within the "Low" preset. Considering I went from the initial high preset through medium to low, without any noticeable changes in fps, it leads me to believe that I have in fact misunderstood this sentence in the guide. 

Also I wanted to ask, in some of the old guides, there were a guide to the settings in Nvidias control panel 3D settings. I haven't been able to find anything similar for the current guide, is this me missing something? I have a MUX switch on my laptop, which I use when gaming to run everything on my 3070TI, but other than that I haven't messed with anything in there except Ultra low latency and v-sync as per the guide.

Hope you guys can help me with the right understanding of these things!

4 hours ago, Halde said:

Hi all!

So I'm benchmarking my game atm before postprocessing, running somewhere between 90-130 fps in the exterior worldspace. I've been fiddling around with Bethini, started the first benchmark without changing it from the beginning of the guide. Then I went medium, since i thought fps was a bit low in somewhere. Then to low. As instructed I changed the setting as per the instructions after setting the presets to medium and then low. I couldn't register any change in fps from the high preset to the low preset I ended with, leading me to believe, that I misunderstood the following: Selecting a preset in BethINI makes changes to many settings, so ensure all BethINI settings match those in the instructions, particularly for Basic, Detail, and Visuals tabs

I understand this, that I should, when i hit the "Low" preset, change the mentioned settings back to the instructed settings within the "Low" preset. Considering I went from the initial high preset through medium to low, without any noticeable changes in fps, it leads me to believe that I have in fact misunderstood this sentence in the guide. 

Also I wanted to ask, in some of the old guides, there were a guide to the settings in Nvidias control panel 3D settings. I haven't been able to find anything similar for the current guide, is this me missing something? I have a MUX switch on my laptop, which I use when gaming to run everything on my 3070TI, but other than that I haven't messed with anything in there except Ultra low latency and v-sync as per the guide.

Hope you guys can help me with the right understanding of these things!

32 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Don't match the photos. Change the settings specifically mentioned below the photos. 

Yes, this is correct. Specifically, all you are doing is going through the BethINI config again from scratch, completing all steps, but this time only changing the preset from 'High' (the original baseline) to 'Ultra', 'Medium', or 'Low' according to the FPS as mentioned in Performance Tuning. If this doesn't change your FPS benchmark, I'm very surprised, but it's possible if your FPS are capped still (which should not be the case if Performance Tuning instructions were followed ... "Benchmarking Steps" in spoiler above).

I do admit that the statement you call out isn't clear and/or lacks specificity, so I will mull it over and make it clearer.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm following the guide per the letter, and my understanding is from the above copy-pasted step from the guide, that when benchmarking, I should change the Bethini presets, if my average fps is not at or above 120. Furthermore, after changing the presets, and this is the key sentence, I should go back and change the setting according to the instructions given in the "Bethini Baseline Configuration" step, THEN test the new benchmark. 

So this is where I first assumed, that the Bethini presets changes way more settings than the "Bethini Baseline Configuration" actually changes, thus giving more performance if changing to a lower preset and then changing some of the settings back according to the "Bethini Baseline Configuration". 

18 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Don't match the photos. Change the settings specifically mentioned below the photos. 

Now, just to be sure: you say below the photos, but there are settings described above the photos in the "show/hide" menus of the "Bethini Baseline Configuration" - is it these and only these that should be changed after selecting a lower preset and then disregard the rest of the settings presented in the photos?

Also in the guide, the sentence I mentioned seems to have been replaced by: and otherwise repeat all of the BethINI Setup instructions in their entirety.

Personally this would draw me to the same conclusion as the other sentence, but maybe I'm just slightly moronic in this regard.

Thank you both for the answers - I greatly appreciate it!

Sorry. I should have said above the photos, as I forgot we just changed the formatting. 

OK, so the idea is simply this. Your first configuration of BethINI was for High preset. That was when you followed all of the BethINI instructions in their entirety. Now that in performance testing, you are trying to increase performance by changing the presets. When doing this, the vast majority of the settings from your initial setup are preserved. Therefore, if you go back now and simply change a lower preset button (but not Default... that resets everything), it will only lower the graphics intensive settings to be more performance friendly.

Now, with our guide there are some settings that we expect to remain constant. These are the settings specifically mentioned in the dropdown boxes for each tab. However, we know that the only ones that should change, if you only click a lower quality preset, are the specific written instructions in the Basic, Detail, and Visuals tab. Therefore, you should apply the written instructions for those tabs after changing the preset.

If you instead try and change everything to match the photos, which display the high preset, well... you haven't really changed anything.