Performance increase with plugin merging

Guba

Question

I'd like to understand if there is any performance increase when using a merge of numerous plugins - i.e. 20 or 30 - against using separated unmerged plugins.
I mean, if I take as many patches and I put them togeter, in addition to solving the problems that may arise between different patches, it is also possible to solve a good part of the conflicts that should occur between them.
Am I grossly wrong or does this make any sense?
Has anyone noticed if there is any improvement in performances by merging multiple plugins together?

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Guba said:

I'd like to understand if there is any performance increase when using a merge of numerous plugins - i.e. 20 or 30 - against using separated unmerged plugins.
I mean, if I take as many patches and I put them togeter, in addition to solving the problems that may arise between different patches, it is also possible to solve a good part of the conflicts that should occur between them.
Am I grossly wrong or does this make any sense?
Has anyone noticed if there is any improvement in performances by merging multiple plugins together?

There won't be any performance improvement, because at game runtime, all plugins are effectively being merged anyway (in load order). The advantage of merging them yourself is that you will have presumably made better decisions by doing it yourself. But that's a lot of work. The only reason to merge would be to avoid the plugin cap, which is largely alleviated anyway with many mods being ESL format.

Merging plugins doesn't resolve conflicts, BTW. Merging and resolving conflicts are two different actions. You would first resolve conflicts and then merge the remainder in order of load priority.