Fallout 4 Bethini does nothing and only getting 60 fps.

Quick

Question

Hi.

I had at one point years ago installed Bethini. I had also experimented with the Configuration Tool. The problem is that I have not been able to get either of these to work. I'd be happy if I could get Bethini to work properly. I know that both of these don't do anything because when I change the color of the HUD for example nothing happens and it is still to the default I set in the Fallout4.exe/F4SE. I've also tried setting all of the ini's to iPresentInterval=0 with no luck since this doesn't seem to unlock my frame rate. This results in extremely long load times of up to 5 minutes if I am coming out of a building into the comonwealth. I also have a lot of ini's stored all over the place on my PC and I would really rather they just be in as few spots as possible.

I really need help so that is why I am here. Thanks.

Edited by Quick

Some more details in case it matters.

I've tried to get rid of Onedrive unsuccessfully. It's a pain in the butt dealing with this and it leads to my data being saved in places I don't want it to be.

I'm on Windows 10. I have a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor (upgrading soon) and an RX 5700 XT (upgrading soon). I also have an M.2 SSD which my games are stored on. I also use MO2. I am also using an ENB but this should be fine because Bethini is supposed to autodetect for that IIRC. Finally, one time I copy pasted a recommended ini file for performance through MO2.

Edited by Quick

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Some more details in case it matters.

I've tried to get rid of Onedrive unsuccessfully. It's a pain in the butt dealing with this and it leads to my data being saved in places I don't want it to be.

I'm on Windows 10. I have a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor (upgrading soon) and an RX 5700 XT (upgrading soon). I also have an M.2 SSD which my games are stored on. I also use MO2. I am also using an ENB but this should be fine because Bethini is supposed to autodetect for that IIRC. Finally, one time I copy pasted a recommended ini file for performance through MO2.

OneDrive and the like will only be an issue if you have installed the game and your mod manager in the Windows UAC-controlled path(s) ... because I assume oneDrive in particular syncs those paths.

You would benefit by following our guides (FO4 guide in production now), starting with the System Setup Guide, which applies to FO4 or any Bethesda games. This establishes a modding environment that is void of such issues.

This basically means moving Steam and changing your mod-manager paths, so it's really not fun. However, your issues are likely MUCH more not fun, and reconfiguring will spare you all the pain you have been suffering through.

PS: certain other defaults for these games point to %USERPROFILE% path, which is also likely synced by OneDrive, so you should be able to exclude those folders from your OneDrive sync in it's configuration.

I like OneDrive on my work PC, but I have entirely scrubbed it from my Win 11 personal PC (Google disabling OneDrive in Win 11 if you want to do that)

Most likely you failed to direct BethINI to your MO2 profile INI Path via the Setup tab. MO2 by default uses a separate set of INI files for each profile, and it is necessary to point BethINI to these in order to change the correct INI files. This is made simple via the MO2 detection and profile detection that typically works, although it isn't perfect, as MO2 does not leave many registry keys to check against install location.

BethINI-Fallout4-Setup.png

48 minutes ago, z929669 said:

OneDrive and the like will only be an issue if you have installed the game and your mod manager in the Windows UAC-controlled path(s) ... because I assume oneDrive in particular syncs those paths.

You would benefit by following our guides (FO4 guide in production now), starting with the System Setup Guide, which applies to FO4 or any Bethesda games. This establishes a modding environment that is void of such issues.

This basically means moving Steam and changing your mod-manager paths, so it's really not fun. However, your issues are likely MUCH more not fun, and reconfiguring will spare you all the pain you have been suffering through.

PS: certain other defaults for these games point to %USERPROFILE% path, which is also likely synced by OneDrive, so you should be able to exclude those folders from your OneDrive sync in it's configuration.

I like OneDrive on my work PC, but I have entirely scrubbed it from my Win 11 personal PC (Google disabling OneDrive in Win 11 if you want to do that)

Hi, and thanks for your post.

It is not the game directory that I need to worry about as that is on a separate drive completely that I use for my video editing and games. The real problem is that Onedrive saves certain things in C/users/username/onedrive/etc and then my ini files and saves are there. I just need to know how to get those things off Onedrive and onto my computer. I'm out of space on Onedrive anyways so moving everything would be ideal.

Of course, I will take any help I can get at this point and will be looking though this guide you linked me. The problem, like I said, isn't that the .exe is in Onedrive, it's just that the saves and ini files are.

Also, I am not sure if you are saying this or not, but it sounds like you are saying to start over with everything? Uhg, what a nightmare. I spent hours installing mods and such. I am fairly sure my mods are fine though as they are in C/modding/MO2 (thank God for that).

In any case, if there are any other guides you would like to offer me, I will take a look at them.

20 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Most likely you failed to direct BethINI to your MO2 profile INI Path via the Setup tab. MO2 by default uses a separate set of INI files for each profile, and it is necessary to point BethINI to these in order to change the correct INI files. This is made simple via the MO2 detection and profile detection that typically works, although it isn't perfect, as MO2 does not leave many registry keys to check against install location.

BethINI-Fallout4-Setup.png

Thanks, I appreciate your help in this.

I have an update.

Apparently, the ini files for MO2 are separate from the ones that Bethini controls. I could not figure out where the ini files for MO2 are. However, I have copy/pasted the ini files from the default ini file location for Bethini (which is using Onedrive, but I've given up on trying to get rid of Onedrive) which worked for launching the game from F4SE.

The curious thing thought is that my framerates are still capped at 60. I'd love for it to run at like 150, but for some reason I can't do this. I've tried to edit every ini file  to "iPresentInterval=0" I have for Fallout 4 with no luck. I had some suspicions that it was cause by some MSI software I had, but even when I exited the program, the framerates are still capped. Doesn't matter what I do to Bethini because the frames are capped.

But there is some good news at least and that is because I copy/pasted the Bethini files into the MO2 default ini files that I know that Bethini is doing what it should. It's just that Bethini  has the wrong path to the MO2 ini files. I don't know what the correct path is since I still haven't found anyone discussing where the ini files are for the MO2 application.

So the Bethini works and I know this because the color changes were made for the HUD and such.

I found out about this because when I launched FO4 with the default launcher, the game was reading the Bethini files. But then when I use F4SE the ini changes from Bethini do not register.

So basically, Bethini works for the default launcher, but it does not work for launching F4SE with MO2.

Edited by Quick

Update 2.

It seems the problem was my ENB!!! When I took that off, my framerates went through the roof! BTW, how do I cap the framerates? I ask because in the intro, I am getting close to 2,000 FPS and that causes the ability to select an option difficult since it scrolls so fast. I can really only continue game or quit game unless I sit there and go back and forth before I land on the option I want.

Also, Bethini is still disconnected to the ini files for MO2. I have to copy and past the ini files every time I make a change. Not that big of a deal, but a little annoying.

Quit talking about OneDrive. That is not the issue. Your ini files are not in OneDrive. Yes, OneDrive can cause issues related to this kind of thing because of its method of using a weird kind of link instead of an actual file, but that's a system setup issue that will not affect Mod Organizer and its profiles, so long as it is not also on OneDrive (unlikely). 

In BethINI setup tab, under Mod Organizer location, browse and select the Mod Organizer executable. BethINI should then automatically detect your MO2 profiles and populate them in the INI Path dropdown. Select the profile from the dropdown. BethINI will automatically restart and you will be back in business. 

To otherwise manage fps, you should be using High FPS Physics Fix. https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Fallout4:High_FPS_Physics_Fix

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Quit talking about OneDrive. That is not the issue. Your ini files are not in OneDrive. Yes, OneDrive can cause issues related to this kind of thing because of its method of using a weird kind of link instead of an actual file, but that's a system setup issue that will not affect Mod Organizer and its profiles, so long as it is not also on OneDrive (unlikely). 

In BethINI setup tab, under Mod Organizer location, browse and select the Mod Organizer executable. BethINI should then automatically detect your MO2 profiles and populate them in the INI Path dropdown. Select the profile from the dropdown. BethINI will automatically restart and you will be back in business. 

To otherwise manage fps, you should be using High FPS Physics Fix. https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Fallout4:High_FPS_Physics_Fix

Thanks.

The thing is, Bethini is already linked to the right MO2 folder. The problem might be that I have the wrong naming path for MO2, IDK. And IDK how to change the file path for MO2 either. I tried setting the path again from Bethini to MO2, but nothing happened.

101373620_Bethinipaths.thumb.png.a63fb47953a34dc261453bd55dbb3f8e.png39721331_MO2path.thumb.png.7f0aa5973da169a62de092a13e459e8d.png1881077866_MO2pathBethini.thumb.png.fa82a4452a98c9e68f7bcd55016f7c58.png

Edited by Quick

The detection isn't perfect, and if you have multiple Mod Organizer installs, it can also cause issues. It looks like your Mod Organizer installation is in portable mode, as I see a Profiles folder. In BethINI, under INI Path, choose browse, and select the INI file inside your profile inside that profiles folder. 

14 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

The detection isn't perfect, and if you have multiple Mod Organizer installs, it can also cause issues. It looks like your Mod Organizer installation is in portable mode, as I see a Profiles folder. In BethINI, under INI Path, choose browse, and select the INI file inside your profile inside that profiles folder. 

I don't think this instance of FO4 is portable.

704593503_MO2Profiles.thumb.png.8f88095776bf2f5b10a8c360218b8afd.png

Edited by Quick

If it is not portable, than your profiles are in your local app data directory. This is typically hidden on your system, which is probably why you cannot find it. 

1. WinKey + R
  2. %localappdata%
  3. Enter
  4. Your profiles are in the \ModOrganizer\{instanceName}\profiles\{your profile} directory 

35 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

If it is not portable, than your profiles are in your local app data directory. This is typically hidden on your system, which is probably why you cannot find it. 

1. WinKey + R
  2. %localappdata%
  3. Enter
  4. Your profiles are in the \ModOrganizer\{instanceName}\profiles\{your profile} directory 

Is this what you mean?

1089258267_FO4Profiles.thumb.png.3faf62d8e6b5bddca2ec4a4aac85ef4c.png1706830610_FO4ProfilesDefault.thumb.png.088a3d4f8a73d1da2436df8231e997b4.png

Edited by Quick