Help w/Performance Tuning - SSETweaks

Hi all,

I'm working through the Performance Tuning area of the STEP v2.1.0 guide and have arrived at the point where I'm trying to establish some FPS benchmarks. When I get to the part where I need to enable the SSE OSD, it does not enable. That is, left shift+INS does not toggle the OSD as expected. I've tried switching the .INI file to have the OSD on by default, but that doesn't work either. I've tried wading through the SKSE64.log, but according to the log, SSETweaks is loading successfully.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Where is your SSEDisplayTweaks.ini file located?  Do you have multiple MO2 profiles?  I ask because I myself have made edits to a SSEDisplayTweaks.ini file located under a different MO2 profile than which I was running.  Never mind the strike through comment...I'm thinking of skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini which are unique for each MO2 profile and stored under each MO2 profile folder.  SSEDisplayTweaks.ini is not unique for each profile.

Do you have a SSEDisplayTweaks.ini_Custom.ini file which would override settings in the main ini file?

I leave the ini file in the mod alone and have created a SSEDisplayTweaks.ini_Custom.ini file to contain only the settings I wish to be different...

[Render]
#Uncomment to stretch game window across the entire screen in borderless fullscreen mode
BorderlessUpscale=true

#Uncomment to set the game resolution. Only applies in windowed and borderless fullscreen mode (when Fullscreen=false)
Resolution=2580x1080

#Uncomment to set a specific in-game frame limit
FramerateLimit=97

#Uncomment to set a specific UI frame limit (i.e., in-game menus)
UIFramerateLimit=97

[HAVOK]
#Uncomment to set a specific loading-screen frame limit
MinimumFramerate=50 

#Uncomment to set a havok frame limit (should be equal to FramerateLimit)
MaximumFramerate=97

[Papyrus]
#Uncomment to set the maximum time scripts are allowed to run per cycle based on current framerate
DynamicUpdateBudget=true

#Uncomment to set a papyrus budget frame limit (should be equal to FramerateLimit)
BudgetMaxFPS=97

[OSD]
#Uncomment to enable the in-game screen display using the default toggle (Left Shift + Insert by default)
Enable=true

#Uncomment to enable the in-game screen display on by default
InitiallyOn=false

Edited by Kattmandu

22 minutes ago, Kattmandu said:

Where is your SSEDisplayTweaks.ini file located?

Do you have a SSEDisplayTweaks.ini_Custom.ini file which would override settings in the main ini file?

1) The location is: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim - STEP v2.1.0\mods\SSE Display Tweaks\SKSE\Plugins

2) I don't have anything other than the default .ini file, at the moment

5 minutes ago, Paes said:

1) The location is: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim - STEP v2.1.0\mods\SSE Display Tweaks\SKSE\Plugins

Path looks okay as long as that's the MO2 profile you are editing the ini and running the game under.

You're sure your pressing the LEFT shift key and not the RIGHT shift key?  I made that mistake myself a couple of times.  I'm sure you are but just thought I'd ask.

13 minutes ago, Paes said:

I recommend using a custom config file for SSE Display Tweaks and any other mod with an INI you are customizing (I think this is mentioned as an aside in our instructions). This allows update of the mod without overwriting any changes, since your custom config won't be touched:

image.png

The content of mine:

image.png

The OSD has a couple of settings that must be enabled. Following is the default config that my custom config overrides:

image.png

Note that I'm setting mine to enabled but off by default. The combo key is Left Shift, as indicated in the config shown above (I am not overriding that setting).

Also, if you do create the custom ini file, make sure there are no spaces at the beginning of each line otherwise the setting wont take effect.  A space at the beginning of a line seems to act like a commenting character similar to # or ;

Edited by Kattmandu

19 minutes ago, Kattmandu said:

You're sure your pressing the LEFT shift key and not the RIGHT shift key?  I made that mistake myself a couple of times.  I'm sure you are but just thought I'd ask.

I've tried both:

Left Shift + Insert
Right Shift + Insert

... no dice, either way. I'm going to try the custom .ini file, although I'm not really clear on why that should matter if the default .ini is functioning properly.

4 minutes ago, Paes said:

I've tried both:

Left Shift + Insert
Right Shift + Insert

... no dice, either way. I'm going to try the custom .ini file, although I'm not really clear on why that should matter if the default .ini is functioning properly.

See my previous reply and check those settings.

Also check other OSD settings in that config. It's possible you are not seeing it due to the offset being off on your monitor/resolution for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Paes said:

I did, but the default settings you've posted don't seem to deviate from anything that I've already tried.

Check your OSD offset and other settings under that. Check that SSE Display Tweaks is enabled and running (you posted a log, so I assume it's working if the timestamp in your log is current).

As is usually the case with technical problems, the issue was between the keyboard and the chair. I had erred during my edit of the .ini file and messed up some settings. Once reverting to the proper settings, all functions by design.

Thanks for helping get me back on track.

• Like 2