Option to generate grass billboards greyed out in TexGen

Chlam

Question

I generated grass cache. Everything went fine. I then created a new mod and moved the grass folder with all the .cgid files there.

But when I fire up TexGen, the checkbox for generating grass billboards is greyed out.

The Step Modifications guide for generating grass LOD says the following:

TexGen is included within the DynDOLOD installation and must be used to generate the grass LOD billboards. This can be done by simply ticking the Grass option in the TexGen GUI. The settings for "Direct" (light from the sun) and "Ambient" (general lighting) can be adjusted to affect the lighting on the rendered grass from which the flat billboard texture is created. The recommended settings are indicated below. Use the settings corresponding to rendered game resolution: 1080p = HD, 1440p = QHD, 2160p = 4k

However, funnily enough, the example image the guide provides shows the exact same issue I'm having (a greyed out "grass" option).

I thought maybe there was something wrong with my grass cache. So I downloaded someone else's cache from Nexus. But I still wasn't able to select the option to generate grass billboards in TexGen. My output is almost identical to the one I downloaded from Nexus (~10,900 .cgid files at ~750 MB), so I don't think there was anything wrong with it.

I do have an error in MO2 saying "invalid game data" for the grass cache mod I created since \grass isn't a valid mod path. But that's normal from what I've read. I tried telling MO2 to ignore the warning, but TexGen still doesn't let me select the option to generate grass billboards.

I've tried generating TexGen and Dyndolod with just HD Grass checked off, but that doesn't produce grass LODs in-game. Everything else generated just fine though (trees, objects, etc.).

I'm sure it's something silly that I'm missing, but I can't figure out what.

Edited by Chlam

6 answers to this question

I'm guessing TexGen isn't detecting the .cgid files. But I'm not sure why.

They're both saved on the same drive (not my C:\ drive) and I turn off Windows Defender any time I'm running TexGen/Dyndolod. I'm on the very latest version of Dyndolod (build 106).

Edited by Chlam

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

You are supposed to tick the "HD Grass" option, which is NOT greyed out. The HD Grass option replaces the standard Grass option.

Thanks. It works! I made the mistake of testing it without enabling my LODGen output and I was mistaking the terrain pop-in for grass pop-in as well.

I recommend updating the guide to reflect this information though. Will help avoid confusion.

30 minutes ago, Chlam said:

Thanks. It works! I made the mistake of testing it without enabling my LODGen output and I was mistaking the terrain pop-in for grass pop-in as well.

I recommend updating the guide to reflect this information though. Will help avoid confusion.

This is fixed in the dev 2.2.0 guide, so it will be done.