DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

1 hour ago, gmahadhika91 said:

I...don't know what that is? Should I? How?

If you skim our LODGen instructions, you will find that there are three (four) basic steps to the overall LODGen process. Terrain, (texture-prep,) objects, and occlusion. DynDOLOD 3.00 changes (texture-prep) and object LODGen (so you can use this for general guidance, but the specifics are different, since this applies to TexGen/DynDOLOD 2.xx), but terrain and occlusion are both handled by xLODGen application, which hasn't changed. DynDOLOD also can do occlusion, but the doc recommends letting xLODGen do it.

Keep in mind that these instructions pertain to the Step SE 1.0.0 mod list, but the general process applies.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

If you skim our LODGen instructions, you will find that there are three (four) basic steps to the overall LODGen process. Terrain, (texture-prep,) objects, and occlusion. DynDOLOD 3.00 changes (texture-prep) and object LODGen (so you can use this for general guidance, but the specifics are different, since this applies to TexGen/DynDOLOD 2.xx), but terrain and occlusion are both handled by xLODGen application, which hasn't changed. DynDOLOD also can do occlusion, but the doc recommends letting xLODGen do it.

Keep in mind that these instructions pertain to the Step SE 1.0.0 mod list, but the general process applies.

I've followed the instruction there for Oclussion. The two mountains in question *seemingly* fixed but I'm not sure, because the game becomes very laggy to the point of unplayable. Am I doing something wrong? I followed the instruction on occlusion part exactly the same as it is written.

Also, even though the two mountains seemingly fixed, I notice another single mountain just across it that were having the same problem.

28 minutes ago, gmahadhika91 said:

I've followed the instruction there for Oclussion. The two mountains in question *seemingly* fixed but I'm not sure, because the game becomes very laggy to the point of unplayable. Am I doing something wrong? I followed the instruction on occlusion part exactly the same as it is written.

Also, even though the two mountains seemingly fixed, I notice another single mountain just across it that were having the same problem.

Leave height at default 0. There is usually no need to adjust it.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

I made the adjustment in those instructions.

OK I've remade the occlusion.esp and after further testing, I can confirm this does eliminates the flickering mountains.

However, my fps is still poor with occlusion.esp. What's the logic behind this? Can I get better performance using quality 2 while also eliminating the flicker? I've already set the height to 0 instead of 100.

43 minutes ago, gmahadhika91 said:

OK I've remade the occlusion.esp and after further testing, I can confirm this does eliminates the flickering mountains.

However, my fps is still poor with occlusion.esp. What's the logic behind this? Can I get better performance using quality 2 while also eliminating the flicker? I've already set the height to 0 instead of 100.

It doesn't really make any sense that FPS is worse everywhere with just occlusion data being updated. Something else must be going on. You sure you reset the object LOD distances to sane values? Maybe it makes a difference enabling its generation into the DynDOLOD.esp instead. The data generated will be the same obviously. 

From the Skyrim-Occlusion-Readme.txt:
Quality - samples per cell. The more samples are used the more distant cells are potentially disabled. Generally use 2 for a quick update. Use 3 if time permits - it typically results in a few more areas that are disabled. Total time depends on selected mode (number of cells that need to be updated) and hardware. Quality 2 is reasonable quick with a large worldspace may be taking a minute or two. Quality 3 can easily be a couple magnitudes slower than quality 2. It may have to compare up to 256 (16 x 16) samples between two cells instead of 16 (4 x 4).

49 minutes ago, gmahadhika91 said:

There are many performance options with DynDOLOD and Skyrim in general. First step is to modify your game INI settings ... you can use BethINI or the Skyrim Launcher to select between low/medium/high/ultra presets. Doing so modifies various settings automatically (like view distances that DynDLOD also uses). I am currently writing instructions for this in our development guide.

With DynDOLOD, you can also do many other things. Using the low/medium/high presets in that adjusts many mesh rules that help. Unchecking 'Ultra' (no more 3D trees though) and Upgrade NearGrid references to FarGrid improve performance. I use 'high' setting and add the following mesh rules (changing LOD Level 8 to Billboard/Billboard2 for 'tree' should improve performance though):

image.png

Grass LOD config changes can also help ... again this is a WIP and not finalized. Also will need sheson's vetting once I'm done.

Lastly, look at the OPs on this thread for sheson's recommendations for DynDOLOD 3 ... and also read through the many, many help documents in the DynDOLOD subfolders.

I'm suddenly getting this message during dyndolod execution:
[08:31] Waiting for LODGenx64.exe generating object LOD for Tamriel.
[17:33] <Error: LODGenx64.exe failed to generate object LOD for Tamriel. LODGenx64.exe returned 280. Check C:\Modding\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt>
[17:33] Computer says "LODGenx64.exe failed to generate object LOD for one or more worlds. 
Check for error messages in the listed LODGen log(s)"

Bottom of LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt looks like this:

Error processing grass data Tamrielx-005y-035.cgid Unable to read beyond the end of the stream. System.IO.EndOfStreamException
Log ended at 7:47:01 PM (15:30)
Code: 640

Is it possible that my grass didn't cache properly? 

The full log: https://we.tl/t-e2PQIb8rfA

Thanks guys. 

5 hours ago, z929669 said:

There are many performance options with DynDOLOD and Skyrim in general. First step is to modify your game INI settings ... you can use BethINI or the Skyrim Launcher to select between low/medium/high/ultra presets. Doing so modifies various settings automatically (like view distances that DynDLOD also uses). I am currently writing instructions for this in our development guide.

With DynDOLOD, you can also do many other things. Using the low/medium/high presets in that adjusts many mesh rules that help. Unchecking 'Ultra' (no more 3D trees though) and Upgrade NearGrid references to FarGrid improve performance. I use 'high' setting and add the following mesh rules (changing LOD Level 8 to Billboard/Billboard2 for 'tree' should improve performance though):

image.png

Grass LOD config changes can also help ... again this is a WIP and not finalized. Also will need sheson's vetting once I'm done.

Lastly, look at the OPs on this thread for sheson's recommendations for DynDOLOD 3 ... and also read through the many, many help documents in the DynDOLOD subfolders.

I mean, sure I'll try your suggestions. But I've been using DynDOLOD High preset with grass LOD and it's running fine. Roughly 40-60 fps everywhere outdoor, while stable 60 indoor. But adding the occlusion drops it to 10-20 fps, though not stagnantly. More like, two seconds it's 60 fps, drops to 10 for 1 second, and backs up, and down again. That's going on and on and on.

13 minutes ago, gmahadhika91 said:

I mean, sure I'll try your suggestions. But I've been using DynDOLOD High preset with grass LOD and it's running fine. Roughly 40-60 fps everywhere outdoor, while stable 60 indoor. But adding the occlusion drops it to 10-20 fps, though not stagnantly. More like, two seconds it's 60 fps, drops to 10 for 1 second, and backs up, and down again. That's going on and on and on.

Sounds like GFX settings. For Skyrim, I hand off almost everything to the game and don't use any driver software to manage AA/AF or texture optimization, etc. I do use driver-soft for vsync though. You might want to look at SSE Display Tweaks SwapEffect and frame limiter settings. Sounds to me like these might be the issues.

Occlusion helps rather than hurts performance.

58 minutes ago, z929669 said:

You might want to look at SSE Display Tweaks SwapEffect and frame limiter settings. Sounds to me like these might be the issues.

Oh, wow, spot on! I've been using these. Are you saying I shouldn't use SSE Display Tweaks at all? Because if I do use it, I don't know which setting works for my system anyway. Should I go back to HavokFix64?

58 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Occlusion helps rather than hurts performance.

That's what I thought, reading the description, I thought "wow free performance" but apparently not for my current setting.

EDIT: I found another offender. Two mountains that are *SO FAR OFF NORTH* the map bugged. It's so far that I set my PC to auto run there with tcl and it takes 20 minutes or so. But you can still see that the mountains are there in the map. Again, clicking it doesn't show anything. Literally nothing is there, not even a mist object. Any idea? Last time I checked, these two are not fixed by occlusion, but I'm gonna try again now.

https://imgur.com/a/qHUOHKt

Edited by gmahadhika91

2 hours ago, gmahadhika91 said:

Oh, wow, spot on! I've been using these. Are you saying I shouldn't use SSE Display Tweaks at all? Because if I do use it, I don't know which setting works for my system anyway. Should I go back to HavokFix64?

You need to find that out for yourself. Every PC environment is more-or-less unique.

SSE Display Tweaks is the best GFX & Havok-fixing mod I know of, so you should be using it. What I'm saying is that it has several key settings that can fix the wild frame-rate and lagging issues that more modern systems can experience running Skyrim. I had the same sorts of issues, and my PC is pretty beefy. Turned out it was related to how I was capping my frame rates and using vsync. The game config files, driver-soft settings, and any number of mods can redundantly set these things and 'break' them (e.g., ENB, grass mods, SKSE mods, etc.). SSE Display Tweaks helped me to resolve them. Read through the settings and look at SwapEffect setting. I have it at 'auto' now, but flip_sequential also worked for me.

Set your INI according to the recommendations I linked, and carefully read through the SSE Display Tweaks settings. Don't invoke a bunch of your driver-soft settings just because they seem 'good'. Skyrim is not a modern game and cannot benefit from much of that. More is not better. Rule out all of the potential factors disrupting your game by making things solid and stable BEFORE you begin generating LOD. Get vanilla running perfectly before you begin installing a bunch of mods. Then begin by installing only foundational mods, extenders, and fixes. Test along the way.

Otherwise, it becomes very difficult to pin down your issues. I recommend disabling all LOD mods and getting your general config and mod list in order. You should also NOT be using an ENB until base game, mod list, and LOD are all working properly. It's an iterative process.

6 hours ago, RogueRim said:

I'm suddenly getting this message during dyndolod execution:
[08:31] Waiting for LODGenx64.exe generating object LOD for Tamriel.
[17:33] <Error: LODGenx64.exe failed to generate object LOD for Tamriel. LODGenx64.exe returned 280. Check C:\Modding\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt>
[17:33] Computer says "LODGenx64.exe failed to generate object LOD for one or more worlds. 
Check for error messages in the listed LODGen log(s)"

Bottom of LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt looks like this:

Error processing grass data Tamrielx-005y-035.cgid Unable to read beyond the end of the stream. System.IO.EndOfStreamException
Log ended at 7:47:01 PM (15:30)
Code: 640

Is it possible that my grass didn't cache properly? 

The full log: https://we.tl/t-e2PQIb8rfA

Thanks guys. 

Read the second post Troubleshooting.

3 hours ago, gmahadhika91 said:

EDIT: I found another offender. Two mountains that are *SO FAR OFF NORTH* the map bugged. It's so far that I set my PC to auto run there with tcl and it takes 20 minutes or so. But you can still see that the mountains are there in the map. Again, clicking it doesn't show anything. Literally nothing is there, not even a mist object. Any idea? Last time I checked, these two are not fixed by occlusion, but I'm gonna try again now.

https://imgur.com/a/qHUOHKt

You can use player.setav speedmult command in console to be faster.

Looks like  you have a mod that contains wild edits. Do they actually have LOD that goes away with tll?